What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lawrence Retires

simmo1

First Grade
Was a beast at centre in his younger years and was destined to play plenty of rep footy. I'll never forget him burning Billy Slater down the blind side off a scrum to win a game at a rainy Leichhardt.

Would have been easy to call it a day after any one of his injuries but showed tremendous dedication to remodel himself into a backrower. This work ethic and toughness should be the standard any young player should aspire to.

All the best in retirement Chris. He certainly deserves some good fortune with whatever he chooses to do with life after footy - he's earned it.

Chris has had a fine career and has carried himself with distinction both on and off the paddock,I believe that if he didn’t have those severe injuries that hindered his career he would of been a regular in NSW and Australia teams.

stryker

First Grade
As a man, Chris is a gentleman who always conducts himself with grace and humility. He is admired by his peers and rival fans alike.
As a footballer, Chris did not quite reach his potential due to aweful and untimely injuries. He should be retiring with a spare bedroom full of rep gear. What he is retiring with is a career dotted with many highs, great respect and I’m sure, treasured memories.
He lived and breathed top level footy for 15 years and never gave up, reinventing himself in the process and staying loyal to the club.
Well done and enjoy the next phase of your life.

soc123_au

Staff member
Such a shame injuries played a big part in his career. It's a testament to his fortitude how many games he played given some of the things he has had to deal with. Should be one of Wests Tigers most capped rep players, still to retire as one of their toughest isn't a bad thing.

Good luck in retirement Rowdy, even as a non Tigers fan I've enjoyed watching your career. Coming back from that facial injury was epic, I dont think I've cheered harder for a non Panther before or since.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The supreme role model !

Nobody deserved to play in a GF & premiership winning team more than Rowdy.

Has all the attributes for an auspicious post footy career & wish him all the best.

Pezz70

Juniors
Was a beast at centre in his younger years and was destined to play plenty of rep footy. I'll never forget him burning Billy Slater down the blind side off a scrum to win a game at a rainy Leichhardt.

Would have been easy to call it a day after any one of his injuries but showed tremendous dedication to remodel himself into a backrower. This work ethic and toughness should be the standard any young player should aspire to.

All the best in retirement Chris. He certainly deserves some good fortune with whatever he chooses to do with life after footy - he's earned it.
Absolute champion, was just hitting his straps when he destroyed his hip v Canberra at Ctown all
Those years ago, didn’t get to see the best of him after that but he always gave 100%

WA Tiger

Bench
Someone (Simmo) mentioned the highlight of seeing Lawrence’s run where he Outrun Slater ..Geez he was pulling away (on the video) wasn’t he..and then the dive for thin air by slater ...I knew he was fast but didn’t know he was that fast

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench

I fkn hate tragedies in league..But at least he had five “good years” ...He’d be loaded.. He’s got a supportive family and a hot missus..
He will prob have offers where companies see the wise investment in him..And he would succeed too..Libran Rooster ..Could see him even making his way up the league hierarchy

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
I think he owns / runs a mortgage broking business. Thats the reason he didnt want to finish playing in the UK. I think when he leaves the game he will 100% leave the game.

Injuries hampered the later part of his career. Took a paycut to help the club out of a cap shit fight. Always conducted himself with decorum, and a one club player. Played wherever was asked and always put in.

He could have easily gone to Melbourne, Easts etc and played 12/13 out of his fifteen years deep into the finals. Instead we rewarded him by giving him an early holiday 13 out of his 15 seasons.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I think he owns / runs a mortgage broking business. Thats the reason he didnt want to finish playing in the UK. I think when he leaves the game he will 100% leave the game.

I think Rowdy has his finger in a few financial pies, I don't think he will do it too tough in retirement. He is no dope like a lot of ex footy players....

Fordy20

Juniors
Chris's retirement is bittersweet. At his peak he was a top tier centre. His defence was first rate and his pace and explosiveness was really something special. People say his rep career was held back due to injury, but I put it down to rep sides simply not picking Tigers players. He could have easily left and gone on to play finals and more rep football at other clubs as other players have done. Despite missing out on a Blues jersey, he still managed to don the green and gold jersey that he richly deserved.

Chris's grit and quiet determination is something that I've always found inspiring. To come back from not one, but two completely different and potentially career ending injuries shows a strength of character worthy of admiration.

I have some great memories of Chris putting on big hits, hitting holes, setting up his outside man and burning some highly rated players with his pace. I wish him all the best with his life after football.

Latest posts