What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

league rules union

jack coburn

Juniors
why leaguies rule the union roost
by world of truth australian correspondant jack coburn
For a sport that spent the best part of a hundred years using every avenue at their disposal to kill rugby league how ironic is it that rugby union now depends on rugby league like never before.
After years of shady deals the move to professionalism was meant to make paying players legal,doing away with the blatant hypocrisy displayed pre professionalism.
From influencing governments to using union old boys in armies,schools and business to stymie the growth of rugby league,no other sport in the world has used the low and calculated tactics to kill another sport that union has used on rugby league.France suffered more than many with the nazi aligned vinchy government confiscating all grounds,monies and other assets at the beckoning of union officals,even going as far as to ban the use of the name rugby league.Still to this day the International rugby board threatens withdrawal of funds to german,dutch and other union clubs who play rugby league during the union off seasons,but still rugby league is acknowledged as one of the fastest growing sports in europe.
Rugby league folk have always claimed their players were fitter,faster,stronger and more skilled and it seems union officials have put their tails between their legs and conceded. Despite unions obvious disdain to anything rugby league,they employed rugby league coaches to teach them how to tackle,but still lacked the skill in attack,which sadly as seen is harder to teach,so union officials decided to buy rugby league players,but had to pay them more than the national captain to come and play.I don’t think there is a sport in the world where players can switch codes and walk straight into the national side,it would be akin to a netball player walking into the basket ball side or a softballer walking into the national baseball team,union people just marvelled at the skill level of rugby league players,all while people laughed at how easy it was for them to displace union players out of the national side after just a handful of games.
The world cup in australia should have seen union blossom in the key markets of nsw and qld,but sadly where union was the number two sport,it is now a distant third behind the dominating rugby league and australian rules which has replaced it at number two.With no free to air television willing to show state games due to poor ratings(the union world cup pool games recorded the lowest ratings since their inception)and pay tv competing with aussie rules and rugby league,union is struggling to draw viewers.
The main problem is the fact that only two games a year,the bledisloe cup,and the world cup every four years,appeal to anybody on the outside of the union spectrum and has them struggling for attention.With only four professional teams in australia,(compared to fifteen in both the aussie rules and rugby league),and with two of those so poor they wound not be out of place in an amature competition,the appalling lack of development and depth has union officials worried.
So the union once again looks to rugby league for more players,hoping that by buying stars they can attract a bit of attention.The sad fact for them is that all the best players are ex rugby league players,all the stars are ex rugby league players and all the highest paid are the ex rugby league players creating not only embarrassment for union officials and players but planting doubt in the head of juniors,wondering if it might be better going to rugby league first knowing if they succeed they will be a walk up start for the national side on a big fat contract.
So with the rugby league people now dominating union we will see the nsw and australian backline basically an all rugby league backline,so I say go the leagueatahs and come on the kangawals show the union movement how to play the game,and remember you are the best advertisement for game of rugby league.

sharkadelic

Juniors
That my friend, is a well written piece. Most rahrahs are oblivious to the totalitarian pro-Yawnion tactics excercised in France that still leave distaste in any leaguie or fair-go sporting fan.

Big Bunny

Juniors
A well written and concise article, it's just a shame that a lot of condescending, ignorant union people are happily oblivious to such truths.

I mean YOU, Woods.

taipan

Referee
Could not have put it better.Every time you pick up a newspaper in the union section, there is a reference to NRL players.

russ13

First Grade
Excellent summary & I really loved the last couple of sentences:

So the union once again looks to rugby league for more players,hoping that by buying stars they can attract a bit of attention.

The sad fact for them is that all the best players are ex rugby league players,all the stars are ex rugby league players and all the highest paid are the ex rugby league players creating not only embarrassment for union officials and players but planting doubt in the head of juniors,wondering if it might be better going to rugby league first knowing if they succeed they will be a walk up start for the national side on a big fat contract.

So with the rugby league people now dominating union we will see the nsw and australian backline basically an all rugby league backline,so I say go the leagueatahs and come on the kangawals show the union movement how to play the game,and remember you are the best advertisement for game of rugby league.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Wristy McSlashalot said:
I like seeing a bunch of insular bogans pretending they give a sh*t about what's happening in France

I find it tiresome when self important twats like yourself offer opinions that are contrary to all the freely available evidence.

Maybe you don't care about what's happening outside of your street, but please don't get upset and try to drag people down to your level. I've long been a supporter of both the international and French game, I am well versed in the politics and history of the code in Europe and often speak to people involved in the game there. As is the case for a number of people that frequent this forum.

Really, I don't need an ignorant troll like yourself offering barbs when he sees people whose sphere of interest ranges beyond your own limited grasp of the world.

So tuck your little claws away, you can feel better about yourself now that someone has indeed noticed both you and your lack of intelligent contribution.

dubby

Bench
Wristy my friend, you have just been OWNED by the big bunny. :cool:

Take my advise before you get sadly owned again: go back to a union forum, pretend you rule the world, pretend your code is superior, pretend that our code is inferior, just do not try and hide behind poor sarcastic little remarks like you always do. You cannot ignore the truth.

Oh, and take that fool Woods with you. I wonder if he calls himself woods because he can't see the woods for the trees?

I'm a fan of both Union and League.
The only thing that sh*ts me is the constant need for RL Jurno's, Commentators (Fatty's 4 tackles a game barb last night) and fans sticking the boot into Union.
There is no need.

Calixte

First Grade
Johnny Nitro and The Vipers said:
The only thing that sh*ts me is the constant need for RL Jurno's, Commentators (Fatty's 4 tackles a game barb last night) and fans sticking the boot into Union.
There is no need.

Try reading a union column or two some time.

You've got to be kidding.

Green Machine

First Grade
There is no need.

Why is Union allowed to put the boot in, but Rugby League is not allowed to respond?

Green Machine said:
Why is Union allowed to put the boot in, but Rugby League is not allowed to respond?

I admit that some Union Jurno's can be just as bad, but only the Jurno's.
RL doesn't get a complete bagging from the Top of the ARU, all the way
through the organisation. As it seems to happen with Union.
If anything the ARU and most of the people in the game rate RL highly.

Calixte

First Grade
Does John O'Neill ring a bell?

Or don't you remember him now?

Talk about putting the boot in from the very top...

Show me where David Gallop has ever attacked rugby union.

Green Machine

First Grade
I admit that some Union Jurno's can be just as bad, but only the Jurno's.
RL doesn't get a complete bagging from the Top of the ARU, all the way
through the organisation. As it seems to happen with Union.
If anything the ARU and most of the people in the game rate RL highly.
Does the name John Connelly ring a bell? I think he is pretty high ranking ARU offcial, isn't he?