What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Trivia Thread

Loudstrat

Coach
OK. Here's another one.

ROUND 3

3.1) Which three sports was Herb Messenger a champion at?
Rugby League, Rugby Union, Sailing - 1 to Non Terminator

3.2) Who was the understudy to Billy Smith as St George's halfback in 1975?

3.3) What is the claim to fame of John Rheinberger?
His only first grade game was as a centre for Easts in the 1975 winning grand final side.

3.4) Who was the first Eel junior to captain his country?

3.5) Which try scorer in a Challenge Cup final had a son who played in the last World Cup final?
James Leuluai -Hull

3.6) What club had Johnny Raper in their juniors?

3.7) Apart from the SCG, SFS, Homebush and Lang Park, which 6 NSW or QLD grounds have hosted Test matches since WWI?
Dairy Farmers Stadium, Energy Australia Stadium, ...........

3.8) What is the connection between the 1954 Challenge Cup Final and the 1979 Grand Final?

3.9) What is the claim to fame of the 1921 North Sydney Backline and halves?
Only time a club backline and halves were selected for Australia simultaneously.

3.10) Who am I? I never signed a contract with a Sydney club. I made my name playing country football, and was roundly criticised when I made my debut Kangaroo Tour, but played 22 tests before I retired. I once had a handshake agreement with Peter Moore to play for Canterbury, who gave me permission to relinquish that deal. I arrived at the ground for my last game in a police car. I played with 4 immortals, one in a club jumper. I set a record which I didn't start until I was 26. Two Rugby League grounds bear my name.
Mick Cronin

Last edited:
Brad Mackay debut at Parkes I think it was so Pioneer Oval maybe one ?
Marathon Stadium def hosted a Test match v Fiji I was there in 1996.
My mate reckons they played in Brisbane at a place called Exhibition Ground ?

Loudstrat

Coach
Brad Mackay debut at Parkes I think it was so Pioneer Oval maybe one ?
Yep. Pioneer Oval, Parkes
Marathon Stadium def hosted a Test match v Fiji I was there in 1996.
My mate reckons they played in Brisbane at a place called Exhibition Ground ?
Dunno about that, but before they built Lang Park, they used another popular venue, which, since then, one can say has gone to sh*t. A very famous test was played there.

Yep. Pioneer Oval, Parkes

Dunno about that, but before they built Lang Park, they used another popular venue, which, since then, one can say has gone to sh*t. A very famous test was played there.

Eric Weissel Oval at Wagga hosted PNG.

I just checked up on the Exhibition Ground and yep it hosted Tests indeed.

Loudstrat

Coach
Eric Weissel Oval at Wagga hosted PNG.
Correct. Two more.

I just checked up on the Exhibition Ground and yep it hosted Tests indeed.
The things ya learn! Oh well, there were SEVEN grounds then!. Dairy Farmers in Townsville, Energy Australia in Newcastle, Pioneer Oval in Parkes, Eric Weisell oval in Wagga Wagga, and Exhibition Ground in Brisbane.

Two more.

Azkatro

First Grade
Correct. Two more.

The things ya learn! Oh well, there were SEVEN grounds then!. Dairy Farmers in Townsville, Energy Australia in Newcastle, Pioneer Oval in Parkes, Eric Weisell oval in Wagga Wagga, and Exhibition Ground in Brisbane.

Two more.
The RAS Showground in Sydney, the Gabba in Brisbane and Parramatta Stadium are three more, by my reckoning ...

On question 3.8, is the link Harry Bath?

Last edited:

griffo346

First Grade
Loudstrat

CUA - Penrith (world Cup - Samoa 42-10 France & Samoa 20-10 Tonga)
Telstra Dome - Melbourne 2 tests (australia v england (world cup 52-4) and australia v new zealand - Tri Nations 20-15)
Parramatta Stadium - Australia v France 1994

Azkatro

First Grade
Here's a quick question. Which is the only team to have lost a premiership fixture in every mainland capital?

Here's a quick question. Which is the only team to have lost a premiership fixture in every mainland capital?

I know the Roosters have lost in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Canberra. I'm not 100% sure about Adelaide. So just guessing it may be the Roosters.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I know what you meant by trick question, even though they were around when the Storm were in the comp, they never played them in Olympic Park however they did play Brisbane at Princes Park in 1994.

Of course there's Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, then Adelaide I remember they got flogged 52-0, Darwin they played Penrith, Perth they mustve played the Reds.