What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Trivia Thread

Loudstrat

Coach
The RAS Showground in Sydney, the Gabba in Brisbane and Parramatta Stadium are three more, by my reckoning ...

On question 3.8, is the link Harry Bath?
Correct - Bath captained Halifax in the 54 Challenge Cup Final, and coached St George in the 1979 GF - won both

Parramatta Stadium and the Gabba also correct.

I would say Nathan Cayless.
Also correct.

Leaves the Billy Smith understudy - the Dragons reserve grade halfback at the time (1975)

mightybears

Bench
Scoring tries against the most amount of opposition teams? 25 teams he has scored against

Terry Lamb would of scored against every team from the Jets to Reds/NQ/Hunter, but Steve Menzies would be the same except no Jets obviously, plus Adelaide maybe, St George Illawarra, Melbourne and the Tits [even if you count only one GC team], he wins?

mightybears

Bench
Question: Name 15 grounds in the Sydney area that have hosted a top flight rugby league match, but have not done so for at least 10 years, excluding grounds that were re-developed on the same site and are currently used?

innsaneink

Referee
Pratten Park
Birchgrove Oval
Earl Park
Wentworth park
Chatswood Oval
Sutherland Oval
Erko
St Lukes park
Hurstville Oval
Drummoyne

Loudstrat

Coach
That wouldnt happen to be Brian Smith would it?

Yes. Brian Smith.

Originally Posted by Loudstrat
OK. Here's another one.

ROUND 3

3.1) Which three sports was Herb Messenger a champion at?
Rugby League, Rugby Union, Sailing - 1 to Non Terminator

3.2) Who was the understudy to Billy Smith as St George's halfback in 1975?
Brian Smith - 1 to Parra Fan

3.3) What is the claim to fame of John Rheinberger?
His only first grade game was as a centre for Easts in the 1975 winning grand final side. - 1 to Non Terminator

3.4) Who was the first Eel junior to captain his country?
Nathan Cayless - 1 to Parra Fan

3.5) Which try scorer in a Challenge Cup final had a son who played in the last World Cup final?
James Leuluai -Hull. 1 to Non terminator

3.6) What club had Johnny Raper in their juniors?

3.7) Apart from the SCG, SFS, Homebush and Lang Park, which 6 NSW or QLD grounds have hosted Test matches since WWI?
Dairy Farmers Stadium, Energy Australia Stadium, The Gabba, Parramatta Stadium, Eric Weisell Oval, Pioneer Oval........... Shared by Azkatro, Southern Rooster, Non Terminator, Frederick

3.8) What is the connection between the 1954 Challenge Cup Final and the 1979 Grand Final?
Harry Bath. Captained Halifax in the 1954 game, coaches St George in the 1979 game. Won both times - 1 to Azkatro

3.9) What is the claim to fame of the 1921 North Sydney Backline and halves?
Only time a club backline and halves were selected for Australia simultaneously. - 1 to Southern Rooster

3.10) Who am I? I never signed a contract with a Sydney club. I made my name playing country football, and was roundly criticised when I made my debut Kangaroo Tour, but played 22 tests before I retired. I once had a handshake agreement with Peter Moore to play for Canterbury, who gave me permission to relinquish that deal. I arrived at the ground for my last game in a police car. I played with 4 immortals, one in a club jumper. I set a record which I didn't start until I was 26. Two Rugby League grounds bear my name.
Mick Cronin 1 to Southern Rooster

mightybears

Bench
north sydney oval
lidcombe oval
redfern
belmore
hensen park

The NSO, no because its had NRL in the last 10 years, but yes for the rest, so thats 4

Pratten Park
Birchgrove Oval
Earl Park
Wentworth park
Chatswood Oval
Sutherland Oval
Erko
St Lukes park
Hurstville Oval
Drummoyne

are all correct, thats 14 so far,

what about concord oval aswell??

thats 15, i knew it was too easy!

Sydney Showground - Moore Park, and Sydney Showground, Homebush.

RAS at Moore Park, yes thats 16, Homebush no as its had footy in the last ten years

but there are 4 others left, so anyone what to go for the full 20?

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Round 4

1) St George trialled which player under the name Mickey Lane to avoid contract difficulties in the 1970's?

2) Who was the first first grader to run out onto Stadium Australia in a Rugby League match?

3) Which players have played origin for Queensland and League internationals for New Zealand?

4) Which player had his first grade debut at the opening of Stadium Australia in front of 104 000 people?

5) Who was the youngest ever City captain?

6) Who was the last grand final coach that never played grade football?

7) Who is the only player to be sent off twice in a test match?

8) How many current or former first grade coaches played under Wayne Bennet?

9) Who is the premierships highest point scorer never to have held the all time points scoring record?

10) Who was the last Kangaroo to play for a CRL side?

And lets not forget that we are still looking for the club that can claim Johnny Raper as a junior.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Nope.

I'm thinking of a first grade club. Under the old residential rule, Raper was obliged to play for them, but they seemingly didn't know he existed. Newtown registered Raper using a bodgey address, and he debuted for the Bluebags without the other club knowing about it.

mightybears

Bench
Round 4

5) Who was the youngest ever City captain? Reg Gasnier

9) Who is the premierships highest point scorer never to have held the all time points scoring record? Ryan Girdler

10) Who was the last Kangaroo to play for a CRL side? Mick Cronin

mightybears

Bench
Nope.

I'm thinking of a first grade club. Under the old residential rule, Raper was obliged to play for them, but they seemingly didn't know he existed. Newtown registered Raper using a bodgey address, and he debuted for the Bluebags without the other club knowing about it.

The Berries