What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learoyd-Lars signs for four years

chub

Juniors
I can see why Jason Smith is well worthy of a pay rise for next year. Bet he isn't happy about some unproven young forward getting similar money to him considering his impact on the team. I know I wouldn't be!

broncoman

Juniors
good pick up for Canberra, its disapointing brisbane had to lose him, but we cant keep everyone...

dubby

Bench
Lars is one big unit I've seen play in the QLD cup. He is a class above all other front rowers at that level, he is a good buy.

My mind is not made up about Tilse, having never seen him play. What DOES bother me, is the lack of discipline Tilse and Lars have displayed this year. We all know about Tilse, but Lars was out betting at the RSL before QLD country v city game, won about $50k apparantly and was out late celebrating.

Our pack next year is big and young, yet unproven. I would love to see Galea turn up in a green jumper for some mobility and experiance. I see 2007 being a magic year if we get some outside backs to score tries.

Paullyboy

Coach
Dubby that sort of discipline gets sorted out quick smart. I think Tilse will be absolutely no worries whatsoever in particular. He paid a ridiciulously heavy price, a punishment that was so incomprehensibly bigger than the crime, that Im sure he will be extremely careful.

As for Lahs, he is a kid, let him have some fun. He;ll blow that out of his system quick smart.

Paullyboy

Coach
By the way Im ecstatic with the buy, and agree to the sentiments that unfortunatley Weyman is obviously not instilling much confidence in anyone at Canberra, and rightly so.

He has unbelievable talent but he is just a plate of glass with legs at the end of the day and that makes him next to useless for all but 2 games a year.

Mr Saab

Referee
If Smith can stay on the park for 2006 then the raiders just might have a consistent season and also might sneak into the top 4. Future is looking bright for my 2nd fav team.

Poida_Raider

Bench
bloody great stuff this!!

will just make watching the raiders play even more enjoyable! and when he's back in tamworth, out on the town, will make the conversations even easier!

haha, great stuff raiders!! i wonder if alan tongue had anything to do with him even thinking about coming to canberra. well anyway this is great news for mine.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Excellent buy for you guys, well done Raiders.

He's huge, very fit for his size and isn't injury prone, I heard a couple of clubs made him big offers including the Sharks, you got a good one there fellas.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i still stronly believe smith will stay
our management would have to be absolute idiots to mess that up. We want him, he is keen to stay, so make it happen

Evergreen

Juniors
A fantastic signing, and I have to agree with everyone else here in that we will have one of the biggest packs going around next year.

The size of out pack is second only to the potential it has......that being said I would've loved having a Robbie Kearns, Shane Webcke, even Steve Simpson as part of the team to help these young blokes through to help them realise that potential.

As for the price we're paying for Tom, I think it's more than acceptable given the likely increases in salary cap we will see in accordance with the increased revenue through TV rights. IMO $200K will only be a slightly above average salary in the next 2-3 years.

raidersfan

Juniors
The canberra Times today reported that negotiations with Smith have come to a stalemate and weren't going anywhere.
"... The Raiders were a week ago supremely confident of re-signing Smith for next year but negotiations ave reached a stalemate situation, prompting the club to search other avenues..." The article was also saying should Smith not re-sign we would chase Sherwin as a back up plan. Doesn't sound good.

legend

Coach
We've offered 250k and that's almost a 50% increase on what he's getting now, nto to mention a lot of the money was already spent as the club assumed he was retiring.

I'd hate to see him go but the club can only do so much.

Timbo

Staff member
raidersfan said:
The canberra Times today reported that negotiations with Smith have come to a stalemate and weren't going anywhere.
"... The Raiders were a week ago supremely confident of re-signing Smith for next year but negotiations ave reached a stalemate situation, prompting the club to search other avenues..." The article was also saying should Smith not re-sign we would chase Sherwin as a back up plan. Doesn't sound good.

Hmmmm. Well for starters, we've locked him up for aaaages so I don't think that much $$$ is such a big deal. Well worth it from what I've seen.

As for Smith, not locking him up asap could be a disaster of astonishing proportions for us......Although I wouldnt turn my nose up at Brent Sherwin.

Stuart

Juniors
Towering Tom joins the Raiders

July 7, 2005

The Canberra Raiders have secured a long-term deal with one of the most exciting teenage forwards in the game, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs.

A towering 114kg backrower with the pace of an outside back, Learoyd-Lahrs said familiar faces and a young Raiders squad on the rise had been the major influences in his decision to join Canberra on a four-year deal.

The 19-year-old has already played 10 NRL matches with the Brisbane Broncos, but he is keen to join a fresh, enthusiastic Raiders pack next season.

The Raiders have focused their recruiting plan on attracting the best young talent in the game. They have already added former Australian Schoolboys props, Dane Tilse, 20, and Trevor Thurling, 21.

Learoyd-Lahrs has a familiarity with a lot of Canberra’s rising stars. He went to Farrer Memorial Agricultural College in Tamworth, the same school as Raiders utility Alan Tongue.

He knew Raiders centre Phil Graham from Tamworth, played Australian Schoolboys with Raiders prop Michael Weyman, and represented the Junior Kangaroos with Todd Carney and David Milne.

He has played with Raiders winger Craig Frawley at the Broncos and, on top of all that, his cousin Josh Blatch is a promising forward in Canberra’s Jersey Flegg team.

“That was a big influence for me,” Learoyd-Lahrs said. “I know so many people there and they’re all good blokes. I made the decision that if I was ever going to leave Brisbane, it would be to Canberra.

“The Raiders have been very competitive this year and I think there’s definitely a lot of potential at the club.

“I’ve enjoyed my time at the Broncos, playing under a great mentor like Wayne. Wayne is very particular about the game and he tries to develop well-rounded footballers. I’ll be leaving here a much better footballer than when I arrived. But I’m looking forward to the opportunity in Canberra and a fresh start.”

Raiders coach Matt Elliott said Learoyd-Lahrs was a perfect fit in the backrow, but also had the versatility of playing prop or even centre.

“He’s a big, dynamic guy and I’m really excited about having him at the club,” Elliott said.

“We believe if we can hold that group of young players coming through, we’re going to have a formidable squad for the next few years.”

http://www.raiders.com.au/seas_2005/news/05070701/

Roy Rover

Juniors
The fact that most Bronco fans are sad that he's leaving points to him being an excellent pickup. How many Tigers fans shed a tear when Tyran left? Not many I'd say.

Latest posts