What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leeds VS Warrington GF

hutch

First Grade
Nice, the gf has struggled to sell out over the last few years so it is good to know it still holds inportance.

I went in 2006 to St. Helens v hull fc and it is still the best atmosphere I've experienced at a sporting event. Thousands of fans drinking on the streets surrounding old trafford before the game and then non stop singing during the game. Wrong team won but great day out!

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It only struggles to sell out because of the same teams making the GF, with Warrington in should get 72,000 plus.

fanatique

Juniors
About 70,700 give or take a few.

Same old story. Mid ladder Rhinos get it right on the big stage. Good luck to them but the competition desperately needs a change. Hopefully Warrington carry through their improvement and someone like Hull can come good as well.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Interesting that fans turn out for the GF but the semis get worse crowds than regular season. Makes no sense.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
What a day, what a club, what a set of players.

I don't think words can describe the effort it has taken to win 2 grand finals in a row from 5th on the ladder and 5 grand finals in 6 years.

This team is just full of big game players and its been proven time and time again, heros!

hutch

First Grade
What a great game too. Much better than the nrl gf, atmosphere looked unreal!

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
Fans of other teams today are bitterly accusing the Rhinos of picking and choosing games which they will put in effort and not bothering to compete in the regular season.

If you read the bile coming from Wigan and St Helens fans especially its that Leeds only turn up for the playoffs and are ruining Super League and the comp needs an overhaul :lol:

Bitter much? :crazy:

The stat the Saints fans are bringing up is in the regular season the Rhinos have won just 3 points from a possible 24 from the matches against Warrington, Saints and Wigan in the regular season in 2011 and 2012 but in the same years have won 4 out of 4 against those sides in the playoffs.

Last edited:

LeedsStorm

Juniors
You know more about the league than I do mate but surely a team with three recent Challenge Cup final wins can be said to have the bottle to do it on the big stage. The CC may not be the be all and end all it was decades ago but the final is still a sold out national showcase for the game nd takes bottle to win and can be lost be anyone as Leeds themselves regularly show lately.

I was merely posing the question of whether Wire could deal with their inexperience in the big game, especially when playing a club that has won 5 grand finals. They're too good not to be back - sure yesterday's experience will be valuable.

About 70,700 give or take a few.

Same old story. Mid ladder Rhinos get it right on the big stage. Good luck to them but the competition desperately needs a change. Hopefully Warrington carry through their improvement and someone like Hull can come good as well.

That sounds a bit bitter, but many will try belittle Leeds' achievement.

Sinfield must surely go down as one of Leeds' greatest players of all time.

Think he was already up there. Special blokes around him too. Leeds dynasty

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
This was a good game alot better than the NRL GF good to see Leeds win again and look forward to them playing the Storm.

deluded pom?

Coach
Fans of other teams today are bitterly accusing the Rhinos of picking and choosing games which they will put in effort and not bothering to compete in the regular season.

If you read the bile coming from Wigan and St Helens fans especially its that Leeds only turn up for the playoffs and are ruining Super League and the comp needs an overhaul :lol:

Bitter much? :crazy:

The stat the Saints fans are bringing up is in the regular season the Rhinos have won just 3 points from a possible 24 from the matches against Warrington, Saints and Wigan in the regular season in 2011 and 2012 but in the same years have won 4 out of 4 against those sides in the playoffs.

Unfortunately the strength of SLE allows a team like Leeds (no disrespect to a fantastic club) to win the comp from fifth with a poor retrun against the other "top" teams. If there was more strength in depth then it would be virtually impossible for Leeds to secure a position so high up the ladder with the same sort of record. I still wouldn't bet against this Leeds squad winning the GF from lower than fifth though. They were a great bet in a two horse race too.

Indelible

Juniors
Great game, not as good as the NRL GF. Warrington would be filthy at their Aus players, Waterhouse too many errors, Monaghan was rubbish as well. Chris Riley gets in and does more work than him. He didn't show enough urgency for that 40-20? I think Briers would be kicking himself as we'll, he was trying some really dumb plays when in front.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
Monaghan was terrible. Let in two tries. He had Ben Jones-Bishop covered easily but had no faith in his inside men.

And does Ablett always play so well? He was phenomenal and has been great in every game I've seen him play. I obviously don't see many.

Indelible

Juniors
Monaghan was terrible. Let in two tries. He had Ben Jones-Bishop covered easily but had no faith in his inside men.

And does Ablett always play so well? He was phenomenal and has been great in every game I've seen him play. I obviously don't see many.

I've heard a few people talk about Ablett, but I thought he looked pedestrian with the ball in his hand. On the other hand Watkins has definately got something. He had some very classy touches in that the GF. Hopefully he gets some good coaching over the next couple of years as he could turn into a world class centre.

deluded pom?

Coach
On the other hand Watkins has definately got something. He had some very classy touches in that the GF. Hopefully he gets some good coaching over the next couple of years as he could turn into a world class centre.

If he's got any sense he'll book a ticket on the NRL gravy train sooner rather than later.

WireMan

Bench
I loved the game, the whole occasion was outstanding.

The occasion was not as good as a Wembley day out. I don't what it was, maybe the whole familiarity i have with OT but it didn't seem special. Also i have not seen as many fights inside the stadium for a long time. Why tickets for other clubs are sold for the ends the two competing teams will have i do not know.

Same old story. Mid ladder Rhinos get it right on the big stage. Good luck to them but the competition desperately needs a change.

Of course it does. The top teams are just coasting through the league and its a p*ss take for fans.

Top 3 for playoffs.
The next 5 can go into another playoff where the winner goes into an 8 team WCC comp ran through the season.

Make teams have a realistic chance of not qualifying.

Anyways, well done to Leeds for winning the Sky cup, and well done for Wigan for being the championship team of the comp.

We'll be having both those trophies next season. ;-)