What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leeson Ah Mau

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Hearing a few things re Leeson. On JA a reliable poster is saying we have a lot of factors in our favour to keep him at the club (happy wife, the Graham effect, playing his best footy with us). We haven't been able to match top dollar but we're looking okay.

A poster on FB has said that Leeson has verbally agreed to a 3-year deal with the club. No idea how reliable he is or his info, but he's put himself out there.

Fingers crossed!

Tom as I said earlier we made him a good offer.
But warriors have offered more.
He has given us last offer.
So all good.
As you say if money only he will leave.
But I would also say he may stay.

Gareth67

First Grade
So all good.

At least he , unlike some NRL players in the past whom have taken the money and ran , Leeson has done the correct thing by the Dragons and given them the right of reply . Should the man stay or leave we know that he will continue to give his all whilst playing in the Big Red V .

Bench
I did read that LAM and his wife have parents living in NZ. That is one reason that might sway him.
As no announcement has been made either way then there is still a hope he stays.
Millward will need to spin his magic and get a couple of front row forwards. There is no one in the IPS that have shown they will be ready to grab a spot in the firsts

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I did read that LAM and his wife have parents living in NZ. That is one reason that might sway him.
As no announcement has been made either way then there is still a hope he stays.
Millward will need to spin his magic and get a couple of front row forwards. There is no one in the IPS that have shown they will be ready to grab a spot in the firsts
seems Leesons wife has a lot of pull in the marriage .and she's VERY happy at present.ah the power of the pussy.very possible he ain't going anywhere.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I would not be surprised to see Ah Mau move on. Our problem is, have we learned from the recent past? We should be in discussion NOW for two top line props for season 2019. If Ah Mau moves on, then let Allgood and Latimore go also let go the young prop who is least likely to make first grade. With Graham likely to miss more games through injury in 2019, we need to FIRST GRADE depth to stay on top. Our young props should be our first choice reserve grade depth and so, if it is considered that they are not up to it, move them on and buy some potential first grade props for depth.

Old Timer

Coach
So all good.
Samy interested what you think about this?
With Sims in the coaches eyes owning the left edge then IMO we are already 1 down in the prop rotation and little likelihood Kerr or Lawrie will be filling it.
I think the value of Graham is for this year only and IMO looking at him now he will really struggle next year (thus why I questioned his signing in the 1st place) but regardless of that IMO that will make us 2 props down.
If we then lose LAM on top of it the that makes us potentially 3 props down (2 down if Graham is a bench player only) for 2019.
IMO that means retaining LAM as a "starting prop" is of high importance as he is a far better option than anyone else that is out there and he is already culturally part of our family and system.

Bench
Millward has been great in recruitment. Unlike last year we have not been linked to every player coming off contract from other clubs.
There are a lot of props out there that have not be resigned and there are others being cut next year.
One thing in our favour that we are premiership contenders probably for the next few years. That would be attractive to players from other clubs.
Millward has been the quite achiever and I hope he waves his magic wand.
I think Graham next year could be a bench player.

Morotti

Juniors
It is a balancing act as you don't want to pay too much for him and then struggle to sign other major talent due to the salary cap being tied up.

Graham has made a big difference. The only query with him is the 3rd year option is in his favour. So means we have to assume he will take it up with us and that means not being able to spend that money on another player at this stage. i.e. Leeson we could give him a modest increase next year and then a larger one the year after. Not fully backloaded but would help us compete in the market.

Still you are not going to keep everyone. But as we say is anyone putting their hand up for a spot?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Millward has to be commended during this process.

Not being sucked into paying top dollar for Leeson, but still putting forward an offer enticing enough to maybe keep him on the books and still keep our cap in check.
Even if we lose Leeson, it was a good fight we put up and Millward shouldn't be put down for it.

mickeylane

Bench
It is a balancing act as you don't want to pay too much for him and then struggle to sign other major talent due to the salary cap being tied up.

Graham has made a big difference. The only query with him is the 3rd year option is in his favour. So means we have to assume he will take it up with us and that means not being able to spend that money on another player at this stage. i.e. Leeson we could give him a modest increase next year and then a larger one the year after. Not fully backloaded but would help us compete in the market.

Still you are not going to keep everyone. But as we say is anyone putting their hand up for a spot?
People have to remember that Graham has been playing non stop for 12 months - NRL into the World Cup campaign which was long and hard on his body - the real James Graham will be with us March 2019 with a long offseason to his credit - then watch this space. At the moment he's leading by example and worth every penny...he's lifted Vaughan, LAM and young players like Sele and Lawrie...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
On Millward's form Saints will get a quality prop in the off-season. That is how he brought in Vaughn and now Graham at discount price. I assume he will do the same if Leeson goes.

I don't expect Millward to make any recruitment yet which is very smart. Not only does he get them cheap but not busted up with a long term injury. He bought Graham who has a neck problem but he is paying alot less than what other props are being paid like Woods. lol.....

SGMax

Juniors
We have been conspicuously quiet in recent times while props like Boyd and Glasby have been on the market.....especially with considering we are supposed to still have some cap space.
i am hoping that this is because we have alternatives in the pipeline that we have targeted and are progressing.
Surely we can't be short a couple of props for next year and not considering opportunities to make signings.

I'm hoping LAM stays and we can get two out of Taupau, Klemmer, Pangai Jnr, Haas, or even RCG?
I would also consider Korbin Sims as a good bench option...an upgrade on Allgood and Latimore.

After watching the 2nd grade team, I doubt that we can expect any regular dominant first graders out of that lot (Hoping I am proven wrong).
Lomax and Sele may be the only ones to see much first grade in the near future.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Hopefully we can work out a deal with Graham that he retires are after his second year and takes on a coaching role with us?

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Samy interested what you think about this?5
With Sims in the coaches eyes owning the left edge then IMO we are already 1 down in the prop rotation and little likelihood Kerr or Lawrie will be filling it.
I think the value of Graham is for this year only and IMO looking at him now he will really struggle next year (thus why I questioned his signing in the 1st place) but regardless of that IMO that will make us 2 props down.
If we then lose LAM on top of it the that makes us potentially 3 props down (2 down if Graham is a bench player only) for 2019.
IMO that means retaining LAM as a "starting prop" is of high importance as he is a far better option than anyone else that is out there and he is already culturally part of our family and system.

OT
Agree with everything you have said.
Re Graham he needs to still start at this stage as he helps with the speed of the line in defence.
Our line speed is better with him on the field.
I think JDB would be able to do this as well as he is a middle man.
Agree re LAM he is a must keep.
We need to pick up a prop that is experienced ( 50 or so nrl games).
I think that lawrie can make it if given a go.
But he may be better suited as a lock.
Sele as well.
To me kerr is not ready.
Untill he learns not to stop before the line and his defence improves.
To me ISP are coached poorly.
I hope I am prove wrong.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
OT
Agree with everything you have said.
Re Graham he needs to still start at this stage as he helps with the speed of the line in defence.
Our line speed is better with him on the field.
I think JDB would be able to do this as well as he is a middle man.
Agree re LAM he is a must keep.
We need to pick up a prop that is experienced ( 50 or so nrl games).
I think that lawrie can make it if given a go.
But he may be better suited as a lock.
Sele as well.
To me kerr is not ready.
Untill he learns not to stop before the line and his defence improves.
To me ISP are coached poorly.
I hope I am prove wrong.

DS61
You are 100% correct.
LAM is a priority signing and agree re Lawrie he just needs time and experience. Hame is also off contract, we havent heard anything re his re-signing either.
I think the investment in Kerr has not gone the way they planned, however, and as you say, he's had terrible coaching. Maybe a new coach would get him going in the right direction. As far as another prop the market is very volatile at present especially for props. I dont think Klemmer will become available imo, the dogs need him and his price tag would be too much. Pangai Jr again I think the broncos will re-sign him.
Millward is doing the waiting game to see who is available and who wants to be available (meaning they want out of their current contract) at seasons end. He probably has his eye on a few that are not getting opportunities. Leilani Latu is one that springs to mind. Other than that is the ESL.
To find someone who has experience and is not a journeyman requires planning not going "all in" on a name that could lead to disaster.

Latest posts