What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets Play Hardball

John Hamblin

Juniors
We are still paying part of RCG and Waqa Blake's salary for the next two seasons. I was really disappointed when it was reported that we would be paying part of Jack Hetherington's contact for 2021. No doubt if West Tiggers or another NRL club pick up Josh Mansour for next year they will want us to pick up part of his contract payments.

Enough is enough. If Penrith agree to release Daine Laurie, Burton or Leniu from we should be seeking monetary compensation.

Also I don't understand why we can't offer Leniu a contract that would make him happy to stay. I know funds are tight for 2022 but after release so many players surely they could upgrade his contact and part of the upgrade would more money in 2021.

snickers007

Juniors
Pretty sure most player initiated releases don't cost the former club anything.
But, if we start shopping a player around mid-contract, and someone bites, of course we should cover the gap.

We are still paying part of RCG and Waqa Blake's salary for the next two seasons. I was really disappointed when it was reported that we would be paying part of Jack Hetherington's contact for 2021. No doubt if West Tiggers or another NRL club pick up Josh Mansour for next year they will want us to pick up part of his contract payments.

Enough is enough. If Penrith agree to release Daine Laurie, Burton or Leniu from we should be seeking monetary compensation.

Also I don't understand why we can't offer Leniu a contract that would make him happy to stay. I know funds are tight for 2022 but after release so many players surely they could upgrade his contact and part of the upgrade would more money in 2021.
Why keep Laurie on a development contract? I understand not releasing Burton as he is in the 30 and next in line in the halves. Laurie can’t play i
until July. Why deny him the extra money, and a guaranteed Ist grade spot, with no point developing a player who is leaving in November.

MugaB

Coach
Why keep Laurie on a development contract? I understand not releasing Burton as he is in the 30 and next in line in the halves. Laurie can’t play i
until July. Why deny him the extra money, and a guaranteed Ist grade spot, with no point developing a player who is leaving in November.
Could be Pride, could be just a warning to clubs to not expect contracts to break early, just coz you've signed them a year ahead, also if we get a swap for Cini, he "WILL" be in the 30 so until the salary cap is properly stated by the ARLC and PA, most clubs wont be rubber stamping anything for sure until all the figures add up. It sux for the player, but he did intend to see out the next year, prior to fielding offers, a good example was Jai Arrow at GCT, just coz he got nabbed by the bunnies, doesn't mean that he could leave early, we might need lauire in reserve grade too or god forbid a few of our backs get serious injuries

Last edited:

If the Tigers want him early they should give something up. Penrith pours huge money into developing these guys, it’s only reasonable we get something in return.

betcats

Referee

Why would we just release him without some form of compensation? You didnt just release Ivan to us without kicking up a huge stink. The last couple seasons your club has become huge poachers of young talent there is no way Laurie is getting released without us getting a player that we want or a good amount of cash in return. He might prove useful to us after July.

Why would we just release him without some form of compensation? You didnt just release Ivan to us without kicking up a huge stink. The last couple seasons your club has become huge poachers of young talent there is no way Laurie is getting released without us getting a player that we want or a good amount of cash in return. He might prove useful to us after July.
I have no doubt this will in fact happen and this is what the Panthers are hoping for. We are talking about a development player that you surely do not want to develop any further. We are are not talking about a fully established Ist grader who is locked into your starting 13. It certainly does suck for the player.

betcats

Referee
I have no doubt this will in fact happen and this is what the Panthers are hoping for. We are talking about a development player that you surely do not want to develop any further. We are are not talking about a fully established Ist grader who is locked into your starting 13. It certainly does suck for the player.

He will learn plenty playing reserve grade for us dont worry about that. Of course we want compensation, no club is releasing a player under contract without seeking compensation we'd be foolish not to.

franklin2323

Immortal
Vic Mackey said he was spotted at penriths headquaters, that was a while ago. There has been some mention of it by the media but no real quotes or anything.

It is true.

The issue is the difference in salary. $50k or so given Laurie is a development guy

murraymob

First Grade
A
And if we get injuries he will be needed. there is no reason for us to let him go.He is contracted end of story

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Thanks Disillusioned for comming over to chat about this. It's interesting isn't it. I think PP (Penrith Panthers) are attempting to send a message to other clubs.

If you choose to pay heaps of money for our players (I understand that Burton in particular) was thrown big dollars t change clubs by the dogs you can wait for the priviledge or give us something we want or even need.

I know it sounds harsh but I think this is Penrith attempting to step up and be hard nosed. Whether it works or not. I have no idea.

Thanks Disillusioned for comming over to chat about this. It's interesting isn't it. I think PP (Penrith Panthers) are attempting to send a message to other clubs.

If you choose to pay heaps of money for our players (I understand that Burton in particular) was thrown big dollars t change clubs by the dogs you can wait for the priviledge or give us something we want or even need.

I know it sounds harsh but I think this is Penrith attempting to step up and be hard nosed. Whether it works or not. I have no idea.
I’m pretty certain the The Tigers will pay to get him over early (especially if it’s 50k or so) otherwise we’ll have to play Mbye at FB! It was mentioned above about what club would release a player without being compensated - alas I know of one. :pensive:

I actually came across to check on the Chricton situation. Also, how you guys feel about Mansour leaving /not leaving. The Laurie thing was an added bonus.

betcats

Referee
I’m pretty certain the The Tigers will pay to get him over early (especially if it’s 50k or so) otherwise we’ll have to play Mbye at FB! It was mentioned above about what club would release a player without being compensated - alas I know of one. :pensive:

It sounds like the 50k issue is with our cap space, we need to free up 50 to fit Cini in is what Franklin meant.

Clubs have to look after their fans. If we are to release Laurie just cause he signed somewhere else without any compensation as a fan i'd be pissed, even more so considering its the tigers and we have not been on good terms since we signed Ivan. Sure it might not be in Laurie's best interest but that is second to the clubs best interest now since he is leaving next year.

Latest posts