What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's sign a half Thread

Big Pete

Referee
Which is exactly why I'm unsure how to feel about it.

Can't say I like his chances trying to fill Lockyer's shoes nor like his off-field history either.

Out of interest, who will partner Benji in the halves if Lui does decide to leave? Moltzen or Miller?

Broncos fan!

Juniors
There's talk the Broncos may do the Tigers a second favour in a few years.

After taking the lazy talentless hack Te'o off our hands, its now rumoured the Broncos' are looking to Robert Lui, as a possible replacement for Lockyer next year (Lui's natural position is five-eighth)

After last night's game, you can have him for a dollar, and we'll pay for the airfares

Well if we can do what ever we did with Te'o, to Lui, then I'm all for it.

Which is exactly why I'm unsure how to feel about it.

Can't say I like his chances trying to fill Lockyer's shoes nor like his off-field history either.

Out of interest, who will partner Benji in the halves if Lui does decide to leave? Moltzen or Miller?

Highly doubt Lui will leave, Tim Sheens has a very high opinion of him and he does have a contract for next year. He is 20 and I belive by the time he is 23-24 he will be amongst the best halves in the NRL, if the Broncos are after him I guess someone in the Broncos thinks the same thing.

Five eigth is probably Lui's best position but he won't play ther with Benji at the Tigers.

If he was to go Miller for mine would be the half, he is very talented and a lot tougher than Moltzen. We also have a very good five eigth in the 20's in Curtis Sironen but I think he will end up at lock or in the centres.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Apparently Bennett wants to release Beau Henry early. If the broncos are looking to sign halves then he would be a decent option. Just chucking it out there.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
How times have changed. If Lui rumours are true we are in a real mess. In saying that it is probably nothing more than another baseless rumour ala Sandow. The Broncos seem deafenlingly silent on the recruitment front !

beads6

First Grade
Lui is a good prospect but I think his off field dramas mean we should not sign him up.

IBA

Juniors
I don't like the assault charge on him...

He could be a nice little pick up. Playing inside benji certain couldn't have hurt his development...

IBA

Juniors
Lui is all over Hunt and Norman. Not that i overly rate him, he has a great step and speed off the mark. I don't think he has much of a kicking game. Solid in defence.

But the fact is no one really seems to think Hunt or Norman will be a viable option...

Wonder if (when) Karmichael Hunt leaves his failing AFL dream he'd want to see if he could do the fullback to 5/8 switch. At least his kick will be better...

badav

Bench
After taking the lazy talentless hack Te'o off our hands, its now rumoured the Broncos' are looking to Robert Lui, as a possible replacement for Lockyer next year (Lui's natural position is five-eighth)

Te'o might have been lazy for you blokes but he's not talentless. Hes been fine since he left his Tigers jersey behind.

Lui on the other hand. You can keep the wifebeater

hellteam

First Grade
Right off the back of Foran carving us up last night, could there be any better replacement for Lockyer than Kieran Foran? I say no. Well apart from Thurston anyway but I can't see that happening.

I know Manly will be doing everything they can do keep him, but we should have a crack at him, we need a half and would have plenty of money to go around. I'd say we could offer him more than any other team in the NRL. I hear he's off contract next year or this year?

With Wallace and Foran as halves, and our young guns in the backs and forwards, we could build a really strong team.

Thoughts? Reckon it's possible?

AuDragon

Juniors
Right off the back of Foran carving us up last night, could there be any better replacement for Lockyer than Kieran Foran? I say no. Well apart from Thurston anyway but I can't see that happening.

I know Manly will be doing everything they can do keep him, but we should have a crack at him, we need a half and would have plenty of money to go around. I'd say we could offer him more than any other team in the NRL. I hear he's off contract next year or this year?

With Wallace and Foran as halves, and our young guns in the backs and forwards, we could build a really strong team.

Thoughts? Reckon it's possible?
I'd almost say... Give him a blank cheque and let him fill it in!

Big Pete

Referee
Merged the threads, as great as Foran is I feel like this is a topic that's just going to keep popping up. To save members from starting a new thread, let's just post these thoughts in here hey?

He's just behind JT as one the half I'd sign. I have tremendous respect for Foran and as such I hope he stays loyal to the club who made him.

IBA

Juniors
I would accept Foran's signature on a contract in a heatbeat. He has an almost indefinite amount of potential and i can see him and Wallace working very well together.

A second prop is a fairly high priority as well. I consider us to currently only have 1 prop - Hannant.

Elia_Tuqiri

Juniors
I rather Manly keep him. They deserve to keep him.
Norman could develop into a 5/8th but he just hasn't showed me any signs he will.
He can't defend, he's not big or powerful, he's not quick, he doesn't have a step or good foot work. When he tries to take the line on, he looks slower than Lockyer.
He has a good boot on him, an okay passing game.
But he's never going to trouble the defense when his running game is shithouse.

beads6

First Grade
I'd love for us to sign a half but only if they are already a quality player. We have young halves who we can develop we don't need anymore.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Foran would definitely be the 5/8 I'd want to sign. Plus how good would a halves pairing of Foran and Wallace be, defensively. But I'm not entirely happy about going and buying someone when we have 2 great talents that we have been working on for years.

I do have confidence in Norman/Hunt though and I think it would be way to hard to get Foran. I know I'd be devastated if I was a Manly fan and he left. Especially after they just lost Hodkinson too.

The difference is Foran has already adjusted to NRL, is carving up, and is a test player. Where as we may have to persist with Norman/Hunt for a little while and have to put up with potentially some bad performances from them before they meet their potential. And thats if they can actually do that.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
All this discussion may be a bit fruitless unfortunately. I think the Broncos have made it pretty clear that there not signing anyone, at all, full stop.

Unless they are playing mind games...