What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Letting go of Mateo. Thoughts?

DeanPay98

Juniors
Either which way, last night two of Mateo's passes went to Broncos players. If they had resulted in Broncos tries we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mateo is an amazing player and yes he'll be a loss. But we need something different and we need to be more consistent. If we'd been consistent we'd be in the top 4 right now. I don't think 15 minutes worth of brilliance makes up for a seasons worth of inconsistency.

But I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong at the Warriors. I hope he does well. Inu too.

Djay

Juniors
Ok, I understand what your saying when you say "he didn't fit in DA's plan" or "didn't play the way he he was told" but by the looks of things DA's struggling to keep his spot next year. Maybe if Mateo stayed he could've succeeded under another coach? I dunno I'm just trying to look at what MIGHT have been.

hybrideel

Bench
The thing is we have consistent in 11 and 12. We need x factor in 13 and that's what Mateo gives. If we can pick up someone who can do what he does but more often for $300K or less then snap him up. But i can't really think of anyone like that that's off contract. Maybe Greg Eastwood if we can pay the fee for him to be released

Eelementary

Post Whore
Either which way, last night two of Mateo's passes went to Broncos players. If they had resulted in Broncos tries we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mateo is an amazing player and yes he'll be a loss. But we need something different and we need to be more consistent. If we'd been consistent we'd be in the top 4 right now. I don't think 15 minutes worth of brilliance makes up for a seasons worth of inconsistency.

But I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong at the Warriors. I hope he does well. Inu too.

That's pretty much how I feel.

Ok, I understand what your saying when you say "he didn't fit in DA's plan" or "didn't play the way he he was told" but by the looks of things DA's struggling to keep his spot next year. Maybe if Mateo stayed he could've succeeded under another coach? I dunno I'm just trying to look at what MIGHT have been.

Absolutely - if Ando is sacked and the new coach would have liked to have kept Mateo and Inu it is a little unfair. But that's football.

All I am trying to say is this: people are keen to point out how much Mateo loves this club. Well, he was reportedly told to play a certain way (whether you personally agree with it or not is totally irrelevant, as we are not the coach), and he didn't. Whether it was because he couldn't or he just didn't I don't know. But is it a coincidence that Brian Smith wanted nothing to do with him, and there have forever been whispers about his approach to training and commitment on the field (and note necessarily from the media, which is a joke in this country)? If his love was that great you'd think he'd do what needed to be done.

I realise that some people will get offended by that and take it as an attack on the bloke. I'm not trying to attack him, but point out that it shows the attitude that Anderson is not keen on. He was asked to do something, he professed his love for the club, he didn't do what was asked of him...There is a gap in logic there somewhere which, to me, strengthens the suggestion that he is not a coach's "dream player".

Having said all that, yes, he is a super player and he will be a loss. But in my eyes we will be OK - specially if we cover for his loss with players who are hard-working and consistent.

But would I rather we kept him? For the right price, yes.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The thing is we have consistent in 11 and 12. We need x factor in 13 and that's what Mateo gives. If we can pick up someone who can do what he does but more often for $300K or less then snap him up. But i can't really think of anyone like that that's off contract. Maybe Greg Eastwood if we can pay the fee for him to be released

Do we? What was Melbourne's back row like in 2010? Manly's in '08?

As long as we have blokes up front who can run and make metres and make tackles, we can leave the X-factor to other players. As it stands we still have Hayne, Burt, Tahu, Mitchell, Mortimer and potentially Loko who can add that "magic" when we need it.

And in terms of forwards we still have Horo, Te Mari, Lasalo, O'Hanlon, Shackleton and MAYBE Jorge Tafua. All can pop offloads.

In any case, before we can go on about X-factors and whatnot, we really need to sort out our big issues - the spine, with the exception of the fullback spot.

spartan2153

Juniors
If mateo had the work ethic half of hindmarsh then i would be devastated to see him go.

But the truth is he does not have the work ethic to make the most of his ptential. He will be remembered as a player that could have been anything.

Tony puletua is exactly the same player. If he trained the house down he could have become a absolutely devastating prop in the gorden tallis mold. He wasn't & would only perform on days out of the ordinary.

What make great players special is there work ethic nothing else. Thats what separates them apart & mateo does not have that. He will do nothing at the warriors.

Inu's game last night pretty much sums him up as a player. YOu dont know what your gonna get from game to game.

for the money he has been offered 650 for those to players is way way over the top

Redback71

First Grade
those who did not know that this would happen when DA became coach are kidding themselves. Look at the warriors as an example

btaag

Juniors
I wish Feliti all the best at the Warriors and hope he does really well. However, I am not sad to see him go.
This season he has had maybe 2-3 games where he has had an obvious positive impact (with last night being the clear highlight), and I would say over the course of his first grade career he has played at about 60% effort.

Dont even get me started on Krisnan Inu.......

$400,000 can be much, much better spent on other players IMO

yy_cheng

Coach
I was gobsmacked when he was given Ch 9 MOM award... he gave away just as much possession as he created anything last night.

At least he had a tilt for his full 70-odd minutes last night. And the guys in the change room seemed to applaud and encourage him when he came back in with the check.

But that game was won on the back of defence, and Hindy (along with Horo) were closer to MOM for mine.

Barty, we are getting old.......

Gaffman

Juniors
Tears about Mateo leaving... no.

Tears about Kris Keating leaving... YES! Sheesh that kid is sharp, elusive and bonkers with enthusiasm. Makes his brother look like a bumbling old man. KK should have been the priority resigning, none of this Mateo nonsense.

hybrideel

Bench
Do we? What was Melbourne's back row like in 2010? Manly's in '08?

As long as we have blokes up front who can run and make metres and make tackles, we can leave the X-factor to other players. As it stands we still have Hayne, Burt, Tahu, Mitchell, Mortimer and potentially Loko who can add that "magic" when we need it.

And in terms of forwards we still have Horo, Te Mari, Lasalo, O'Hanlon, Shackleton and MAYBE Jorge Tafua. All can pop offloads.

In any case, before we can go on about X-factors and whatnot, we really need to sort out our big issues - the spine, with the exception of the fullback spot.
i think you may mean 09 for Melbourne or maybe 07. But either way they had a very damaging Adam Blair. Manly have one of the best attacking 2nd rowers going round in Watmough. Yeah we have a very explosive backline that can do wonders but while we have 2nd rate halves and a very good chance of not getting anyone better in, we have to revolve our gameplan around forwards 2nd phase play. With Caylo retiring and Meteo going, how many genuine offloaders do we have left in the forwards

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Last nights game showed one of the main reasons Mateo was let go, he had a great game, but on several ocasions his break was finished with a crap pass.

For $400,000 you want a superstar which turns up every week. Mateo is brillant and I am of the opinion he is a 5/8, but his quiet games out weigh his good games. Even if anderson told him to not to ball play it doesn't stop him from showing his great running game !!!

For $400,000 you could sign a glen steward type of player and have some let over. Plus I think Horo with some confidence and experience will come a handy ball playing lock without the price tag, plus it seems he doesn't mind doing the tough stuff !!!

Also the hard decisions need to be made to get a GF winning squad - Mateo and Inu as brillant as they are I don't think a mentally tough enough to play high level footy each week.

Another thng we need a half back, maybe nothing has come up yet, but at least we have the cash ready.

Another thing remember the Storm let Orford go because Bellamy didn't think he could win the big games ( yeah I know he lead manlly to the premiership, but Bellamy made a decison and look how they went)

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Tears about Mateo leaving... no.

Tears about Kris Keating leaving... YES! Sheesh that kid is sharp, elusive and bonkers with enthusiasm. Makes his brother look like a bumbling old man. KK should have been the priority resigning, none of this Mateo nonsense.

x2 i'm still cut up

mrpwnd

Bench
Last nights game showed one of the main reasons Mateo was let go, he had a great game, but on several ocasions his break was finished with a crap pass.

For $400,000 you want a superstar which turns up every week. Mateo is brillant and I am of the opinion he is a 5/8, but his quiet games out weigh his good games. Even if anderson told him to not to ball play it doesn't stop him from showing his great running game !!!

For $400,000 you could sign a glen steward type of player and have some let over. Plus I think Horo with some confidence and experience will come a handy ball playing lock without the price tag, plus it seems he doesn't mind doing the tough stuff !!!

Also the hard decisions need to be made to get a GF winning squad - Mateo and Inu as brillant as they are I don't think a mentally tough enough to play high level footy each week.

Another thng we need a half back, maybe nothing has come up yet, but at least we have the cash ready.

Another thing remember the Storm let Orford go because Bellamy didn't think he could win the big games ( yeah I know he lead manlly to the premiership, but Bellamy made a decison and look how they went)
That Orford decision ended up biting them in the ass harder than a 40-0 grand final loss. Mateos 'crap' passes look 'crap' because our team have no idea how to stack players onto him and support, look at the broncos, offloading all night even if it was going nowhere and eventually one of them led to a try. Offloading may be questionable on a kick return, but in general attacking play the more questionable aspect would come from a lack of support players.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
That Orford decision ended up biting them in the ass harder than a 40-0 grand final loss. Mateos 'crap' passes look 'crap' because our team have no idea how to stack players onto him and support, look at the broncos, offloading all night even if it was going nowhere and eventually one of them led to a try. Offloading may be questionable on a kick return, but in general attacking play the more questionable aspect would come from a lack of support players.

Not really the storm still won a premiership ( or did ha ha ha) but the coach made the tough decison to let him go.

I reckon Mateo is a great player and would love him to stay a eels and have a go at 5/8.

But crap passes that Matoe gives are bad, you can't blame the support play for not catching the pass, as Mateo should not pass in the first place.

As much as I would like him to stay I am happy to go with Andersons judgement in letting him go. And I can see the reasons why he was let go. Plus there is no way he is worth $400,00 a year not even $325 to 350 k.

mrpwnd

Bench
Not really the storm still won a premiership ( or did ha ha ha) but the coach made the tough decison to let him go.

I reckon Mateo is a great player and would love him to stay a eels and have a go at 5/8.

But crap passes that Matoe gives are bad, you can't blame the support play for not catching the pass, as Mateo should not pass in the first place.

As much as I would like him to stay I am happy to go with Andersons judgement in letting him go. And I can see the reasons why he was let go. Plus there is no way he is worth $400,00 a year not even $325 to 350 k.
Fair enough mate, I still reckon we coulda pulled him in cheap and used him better than how we're using him currently, but I guess that's all conjecture now huh?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Fair enough mate, I still reckon we coulda pulled him in cheap and used him better than how we're using him currently, but I guess that's all conjecture now huh?

Yeah would be disappointed not signing any big name players this year knowing Mateo would have signed for $250 to 275 k .

Lets hope we get a half back

mrpwnd

Bench
Yeah would be disappointed not signing any big name players this year knowing Mateo would have signed for $250 to 275 k .

Lets hope we get a half back
I sure as hell hope so. If we don't we'll have 700k of unused cap space next year. A team over the cap is bad enough...But a team way under the cap...Well.. :shock: