What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis upset to be stripped of captaincy

franklin2323

Immortal
You guys are seriously taking that Article as fact?

I'm sorry....but does that thing have any quotes?

It is all rumour and opinion based.

The article was written from Lewis himself. He was on Fox sports news. Him actually talking so has to be true. He basically said he will see how we go & make his decision.

Izz

Bench

Big Mick

Referee
I was referring to the opinion piece, not the nospam47 article who had the same quotes without the bs headline like the telegraph had.

Big Mick

Referee
Like I said elsewhere:

Lewis spoke to Cleary...cleared the air.

He'll decide after if he wants to accept captaincy back.

End of story...move on. Us talking about it constantly is just feeding the trolls that are the media.

maple_69

Bench
So putting aside all the rubbish flying around at the club in the media, what do you guys think the best outcome would be for our captaincy?

I think Lewis has been down on form and obviously played well without the captaincy last start. Somewhat difficult to tell if his form has been a result of captaincy, a normal dip in form or just struggling in a struggling team.

It will probably be a good opportuntiy to figure that out over the next 5 weeks. If Lewis performs well I'd say send it elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind Grant getting the gig with Lewis there to support him while he grows into the role (as Cleary did with Mannering/Price). To me Kingston and Burns are more short term options.

franklin2323

Immortal
Co captains. Lewis should be club captain. Do off field stuff. On the field he doesn't talk enough. Burns or Kingston seem to be logical choices. However I can't see both being re-signed for 2014. So then Grant

Kilkenny

Coach
Co captains. Lewis should be club captain. Do off field stuff. On the field he doesn't talk enough. Burns or Kingston seem to be logical choices. However I can't see both being re-signed for 2014. So then Grant

I agree Kingston and Burns are 110 percenters, lead by example and are options choices for the on field captain. Lewis gives 110% every minute or every game but it not a true leader who fits the mould required of a captain. Better not to burden Lewis with the responsibility of captain and simply let him do what he does best for the team.

abpanther

Staff member
Lewis wants to lead again, but Penrith captaincy can take back seat if needed

June 20, 2012

ipad-art-wide-luke-20lewis_origin-420x0.jpg

LUKE LEWIS has decided he wants the Penrith captaincy back when the State of Origin series is over - but won't have any problem if Kevin Kingston remains in charge.
Panthers coach Ivan Cleary shocked Lewis by taking the captaincy off him late last month, saying that while Lewis was spending time away with the NSW team during the Origin series it was better they had a captain who was going to be there all the time.

Cleary said it was his plan to hand the captaincy back to Lewis once the Origin series was over, but Lewis was so upset, he said he didn't know whether he would want it back and would need more time to consider.

Yesterday, at a Women in League function where he was a guest, Lewis said he had made up his mind. He said that, once the Origin series was over, he would like to play a game or two at Penrith to get back in the swing of things and then resume as captain.

''I do want it back, but I want to make sure my football is the best it can be,'' Lewis said.

''All I am worried about is I want to be playing the best I can for the team, for the boys and for myself.

''If I can do that, everything else will follow.

''I will see how my football is going first, see how I am playing and go from there. Get my head right, get my body right and just try to get my game going forward first. I think I owe the team and the club that before I say, 'This is what I want to do'.''
''It [the captaincy] is a massive honour, but at the end of the day I just want to be playing well. I want to let my football do the talking.''

Asked if he would be OK with hooker Kingston continuing as captain, should Cleary decide he wants to keep it that way, Lewis replied: ''I would say, 'Yeah, I'm all for it'. If we're winning games and playing good footy I really don't care.''

Lewis said he understood why Cleary made the decision and said he was not at war with the coach over it.

''I respect the club's decision,'' he said. ''They were spot on with how hard it is to play an Origin game, let alone worrying about your team back home. It was good to get into camp and have no worries.

''Ivan said to myself and the team that when Origin is all over, the plan was for me to get the captaincy back. If that's what's best for the team, that's what's best for the team. I love our team to death, I love the club to death. I want to do what's best for the club.

''Me and Ivan, we're on the same wavelength. He understands where I'm at and how I want to get my game right, not just for him but for the boys and the club.
''He is willing to do whatever is best for me and the team.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-if-needed-20120619-20m4h.html#ixzz1yIv3zlLx

In the end, much ado about nothing

franklin2323

Immortal
Hard to say. He has been down on form but he has been carrying a shoulder injury. That could be part of it.

franklin2323

Immortal
So in other words Ivan was right

Early on Lewis was in decent form. Slowly he dropped off so but his strapping has increased. I said I can handle the decision but whether it's the injury or the captaincy bringing him down is the question.

Big Mick

Referee
Given Lewis said that Coach was probably right as he didn't realise how tough it would be playing SOO and being club captain it was good to not have the burden going into the 2nd SOO game....and given the way he has played...I'd say it was the right move.

age.s

First Grade
It's hard to know being on the outside, but it does seem that the decision wasn't communicated properly, at least initially. Of course a call like that will be hard for someone like Lewis to stomach, so you'd think it could have been communicated earlier or in a different way to give things time to blow over.

Cleary and Lewis have worked things out by the looks of it which isn't all that surprising. Lewis isn't the kind of guy to be throwing the toys out of the pram for long. Like I said, an absolute gem of a guy to have at our club.

I felt at the time it was probably the right move, but it's just hard to watch a guy like Luke express open anger at the coach.