What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lincoln Withers Canberra bound?¿?

Kris_man

Bench
we need to get into the bidding war, and get into it viciously. i'm sick of clubs walking all over us like a doormat.

jed

First Grade
So kris, what you're suggesting is that we overspend on a player that we don't really need just so that we can say "hey, we finally won one"? On a player that, in all honesty, we don't really need? Even assuming for argument's sake that we have enough left in the cap to sign him.

I'm not against him coming back to play for us again, I just don't think we should aim for him if it means damaging our future chances at other future recruiting.

Kris_man

Bench
we DO need him! our lack of depth in the no.9 position was brought up a while ago in another thread. i think its the most important position we need to fill, not prop.

Kris_man

Bench
and jed, wasn't it you sain how you're worried that we've got heaps of players coming off contract in 06? this'd go some way to solving that problem too.

edabomb

First Grade
He would make us a top 6 side next season IMO. We would only be 2 good forwards away from having a premiership calibre side.

No offence Ed but that's a pretty ludicrous statement. No one player alone could lift a side that much after all the departures we've had, unless his name was Darren Lockyer... and Lincoln Withers isn't THAT good.

jed

First Grade
kris_man said:
and jed, wasn't it you sain how you're worried that we've got heaps of players coming off contract in 06? this'd go some way to solving that problem too.

The point I was trying to make is that with a top 25 that count to the cap, and the usual contract being no longer than 3 years, there's going to (on average) be a minimum of 8 players coming off contract every year, and more likely 9 or 10 once you take into account the 1 & 2 year contracts.

Kris_man

Bench
jed said:
The point I was trying to make is that with a top 25 that count to the cap, and the usual contract being no longer than 3 years, there's going to (on average) be a minimum of 8 players coming off contract every year, and more likely 9 or 10 once you take into account the 1 & 2 year contracts.
so every team has the same disadvantage? if that is the case, then it's not actually a disadvantage, is it?

edabomb

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
No offence Ed but that's a pretty ludicrous statement. No one player alone could lift a side that much after all the departures we've had, unless his name was Darren Lockyer... and Lincoln Withers isn't THAT good.

I think the difference between adding another playmaker and not is huge. Carney will not play much first grade in 2005 which leaves us with Smith and McLinden as halves. Withers coming on at hooker for the Drags has been awesome, I would say his coming on at around the 30 minute mark and then judging his playing time from his performance would give our attack a lot more punch. If he came I would be very confident in our halves depth for next season, and we have the outside backs who can take care of business if they get the ball on the front foot. Take him away and we have Jason Smith, who is classy but 32, shouldering the playmaking role on his own. Woolford is a good solid hooker, but he won't set you up as many tries as Withers.

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb said:
I Bleed Green said:

I think the difference between adding another playmaker and not is huge. Carney will not play much first grade in 2005 which leaves us with Smith and McLinden as halves. Withers coming on at hooker for the Drags has been awesome, I would say his coming on at around the 30 minute mark and then judging his playing time from his performance would give our attack a lot more punch. If he came I would be very confident in our halves depth for next season, and we have the outside backs who can take care of business if they get the ball on the front foot. Take him away and we have Jason Smith, who is classy but 32, shouldering the playmaking role on his own. Woolford is a good solid hooker, but he won't set you up as many tries as Withers.

Further to this, I was thinking this season we were only a half short of being a very similarly skilled team to the Storm this season. We have about equal forward packs, and if you take away Billy Slater our outside backs are evenly matched also. The only place they take us is in the halves, with Cameron Smith, Orford and Hill. If we signed a player like Withers who is a dynamo in attack I think a solid off season next year of recruiting forwards and we could win a finals game in 2006.

man i love withers...he is so cool...it would be great to have him on board....i will never forget his tackle on matt utai last yr...crunch!!!!

Edwahu

Bench
They mentioned on a local news break last night that we were talking to Dean Byrne form Souths. You wouldnt think we would be after him and Withers.

legend

Coach
Obviously the lcub has lost confidence in McLinden and I would support the return of Withers as a long term replacement for Woolford. I personally think there will be a major clean out at the club after next season with a lot of older players and under achievers not being with the club in 2006.

I'm not sure we need Byrne with Carney coming through. What sort of message would that say to Carney who signed on until 2008?

Edwahu

Bench
I think Carney is been viewed only as a halfback and Byrne maybe as a number 6 or as backup. Macca would probably have to be more worried if we signed him.

Bay56

First Grade
GreenGuy said:
Why do we insist on buying nuffy's?
cause we are run by them ... nuffy's and nuffy's go hand in hand ... nuffy's breed more nuffy's untill your entire football club is one big nuffy.

nuf said :lol: :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Dean Byrne? The same guy who couldn't crack a run at Souths?

We have Smith, McLinden, Carney, Campese why do we need another half?

Latest posts