What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lionel Messi accused of tax fraud in Spain

Big Sam

First Grade
It's a tricky one because it pertains to image rights, the majority of which would have been earned outside Spain.

If he wasn't a Spanish citizen would it be different? How did Goldenballs deal with his image rights revenue when he was in Madrid?

And what would that 56% go towards? Doubt it goes to their unemployment crisis :roll:

More power to tax "cheats" but don't get caught because ripping governments off money is the worst crime you can commit

Big Sam

First Grade
I wonder if he's been targeted because he plays for a Catalan club? You can't tell me there aren't Madrid players who aren't trying (or at least contemplating doing) the same thing.

Also, pretty sure top tier in Spain is 52%.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I wonder if he's been targeted because he plays for a Catalan club? You can't tell me there aren't Madrid players who aren't trying (or at least contemplating doing) the same thing.

Also, pretty sure top tier in Spain is 52%.
I should have clarified. I read an article which stated that the top tax rate in Catalunya was 56%...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2084066/Spains-56-cent-tax-football-earners.html

Whether it's still 56% im not sure as that article was from January 2012.

Who cares what you could get by on? You're not the one who is worth tens of millions. He's getting robbed blind regardless of how much he earns.

Haffa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34487112

Lionel Messi: Barcelona vow to fight tax fraud charge

Barcelona have backed Lionel Messi in his tax fraud case and will fight "the external decisions" they claim are unfairly targeting the club.
On Thursday, a Spanish court ruled that the striker and his father should stand trial on tax fraud charges.
Barcelona say this stance is "the complete opposite" to that of the public prosecutor, who says the charges against Messi, 28, should be dropped.
Two other current Barca players have been targeted by Spanish authorities.
"FC Barcelona condemns the accumulation of totally inadmissible and external decisions that have been going on for some time and that have nothing to with strictly sporting affairs," Barcelona said in a statement.
"They are damaging to the smooth running of the club, its stability and that of the players that form part of it.
"The club shall be working with more determination than ever to defend its legitimate rights and is ready for any new challenges that might arise."
In September, Argentina international Javier Mascherano was charged with two counts of defrauding the Spanish tax authorities of a total of more than 1.5m euros (£1.1m), while Brazilian Neymar was formally accused by a judge of evading 14.1m euros (£10.4m) in taxes.
The club itself was charged last year with tax fraud in the signing of Neymar from Brazilian club Santos and paid 13.5m euros (£11.2m) in what it called a "complementary tax declaration".
Messi and his father Jorge are accused of defrauding Spain of more than 4m euros (£3.1m) and lawyers acting on behalf of the tax authorities have demanded 22-month jail sentences for both defendants. They both deny any wrongdoing.
Barca's statement added: "FC Barcelona has expressed its affection and solidarity to Leo Messi and his family in such a peculiar situation.
"The club shall continue to offer him and his family its full support and assistance in the legal, fiscal and administrative aspects of these proceedings."
Messi's lawyers have argued that the player had "never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing" the contracts, El Pais newspaper have reported.

Uh oh. Meanwhile at the worlds greatest club ever (self titled) it seems there is an epidemic of accounting howlers as they like to call it. However the Spanish authorities are not amused and I think reasonably so. This is the third one they have caught. Mascherano, Neymar and now Messi and his Dad after many months of discussions . The club is still arguing that it is the Spanish central authorizes against the club.....Amazing.