What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions great claims Kangaroos are no longer No.1 in the Test arena

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
ENGLAND has taken aim at the Kangaroos on the back of their series defeat of the Kiwis, saying the world champions are no longer the No.1 Test nation.

Legendary Lions centre Garry Schofield — who racked up 46 Test caps as well as the Golden Boot and Man of Steel awards — said recent results speak for themselves.

“At the moment it looks like the Aussies are running scared,” he wrote in a column in the magazine ‘League Express’.

“They won’t even agree to one Test match, although that wouldn’t be enough for me.

“The Aussies lost to New Zealand last month, which means the winner of the Kiwi - Great Britain Test series (Britain) is the world’s next number one Test nation.

“Even if you believe the Aussies are still the best and the defeat to the Kiwis was a blip, then they don’t deserve to be ranked number one if they can’t be bothered to play many games.”

Schofield, who spent most of his career with Leeds but also played in Australia with Balmain and Wests in the late ‘80s, said it made sense for the two Test sides to go head to head.

“Australia have had this year with no major competition on the back of the 2016 Four Nations and last year’s World Cup,” he wrote.

“But they don’t need a rest for two consecutive years.

“It’s not like we are asking them to travel over here. The Lions will be in the Southern Hemisphere anyway so what’s the problem.”

Tigers1986

Juniors
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. England are nothing. Australia would destroy them in a series. Arrogrant muppets win a few games at home and think they're amazing.

roughyedspud

Coach
Fwiw...nobody in England listens to schofield..

Though with my tinfoil hat on...for the first time in 50 years England are legitimately up there with Australia,partly because Australia have lost the greatest spine ever to play the game but also because Englishmen are starring in the NRL....the balance of power is balancing out...

And now Australia doesn't want to play us...if you don't want clowns like schofield to accuse you of running scared then don't make it look obvious lol

Burns

First Grade
Australia don't want to play GB next year and would rather play Samoa.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Great Player said:
“Even if you believe the Aussies are still the best and the defeat to the Kiwis was a blip, then they don’t deserve to be ranked number one if they can’t be bothered to play many games.”

Has a point.

Last Week

Bench
Fwiw...nobody in England listens to schofield..

Though with my tinfoil hat on...for the first time in 50 years England are legitimately up there with Australia,partly because Australia have lost the greatest spine ever to play the game but also because Englishmen are starring in the NRL....the balance of power is balancing out...

And now Australia doesn't want to play us...if you don't want clowns like schofield to accuse you of running scared then don't make it look obvious lol

Hahaha. You're one for conspiracies so sure, why not.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I think that one of the reasons for the Kangaroos lack of test matches against NZ and England may very well do with player burnout. Couple of years back, Johnathan Thurston spoke out about having to play intense Origin series and then play NRL finals, and after all that, having to pick themselves up for test footy at the end of the year. Quietly, the ARL has pulled their team out of tests in the last couple of years as they heed the call of the players. It's more of an issue for the Aussie players because they're asked to give everything in Origin. Well thats my 50 cents anyway.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Seems to me that the NRL and by extension the Roos want to play England, I mean they keep proposing that they tour England next year... It's the RFL that's fluffing on about a GB ashes series/whatever that the NRL doesn't wanna touch with a 40ft poll.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/05...s-best-chance-for-australia-england-showdown/

So yeah I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that the Roos are dodging playing England considering that fact.

deluded pom?

Coach
If the Kangroos get themselves over here the stadiums will be packed and I don’t mean piddling 25,000 ones either. Come and shut us up if you think you can.

deluded pom?

Coach
Seems to me that the NRL and by extension the Roos want to play England, I mean they keep proposing that they tour England next year... It's the RFL that's fluffing on about a GB ashes series/whatever that the NRL doesn't wanna touch with a 40ft poll.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/05...s-best-chance-for-australia-england-showdown/

So yeah I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that the Roos are dodging playing England considering that fact.
It will be a travesty if Australia don’t tour next year.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They'll tour......the Aussies can see they will be able to make money and that's the only reason they do anything.

Pommy

Coach
I think that one of the reasons for the Kangaroos lack of test matches against NZ and England may very well do with player burnout. Couple of years back, Johnathan Thurston spoke out about having to play intense Origin series and then play NRL finals, and after all that, having to pick themselves up for test footy at the end of the year. Quietly, the ARL has pulled their team out of tests in the last couple of years as they heed the call of the players. It's more of an issue for the Aussie players because they're asked to give everything in Origin. Well thats my 50 cents anyway.

Time to f**k origin off, it’s not as good as everyone likes to thinks nd it’s clearly impacting on the sport at large.

roughyedspud

Coach

If Australia want to tour England in 2019 why have they proposed that half arsed pacific cup in 2019?