What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loan deals in the NRL

moffla

Bench
The rules don't make sense though.

If Tigers are paying Momirovski's salary, and Storm are paying Grant's salary, why should Momirovski be counted under the Storm's salary cap.
That's an absurd implementation of a loan system and of a salary cap.
Yep. You’re absolutely correct

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s the nrl, they like to make everything complicated to the point it takes a room full of lawyers to sort anything out!

Delboy

First Grade
It makes sense, Momo is on a registered salary and so is Grant. That should be taken into account, otherwise imagine the usual suspects utilising it.

If Momo is on say $250k and Grant on day $120k, if they change teams then the registered salary makes sense to move with him, it’s not the NRL making stuff up, it’s basic common sense.

franklin2323

Immortal
no the Storm did- they are the ones that would be over the cap! I’d be beyond annoyed if I knew a team was allowed to be over the cap and is able to not be punished

Under a loan deal Storm should pay Grant. WT should pay Paul... as they are now

lockyno1

Post Whore
Under a loan deal Storm should pay Grant. WT should pay Paul... as they are now

Still can't be 16k over the cap. It's unfair on the other clubs (like yours) that abide by the rules. It's not one rule for the Storm and another for the rest. Don't give two hoots who the players are, you stay under the cap.

adamkungl

Immortal
It makes sense, Momo is on a registered salary and so is Grant. That should be taken into account, otherwise imagine the usual suspects utilising it.

If Momo is on say $250k and Grant on day $120k, if they change teams then the registered salary makes sense to move with him, it’s not the NRL making stuff up, it’s basic common sense.

Storm are being capped on a salary they aren't paying, how does it make sense?
It isn't even consistent with other cap rules.

Comparable situation - BJ Leilua is on 600k at Tigers, but Canberra are paying half because that's the deal they made to push him out of a contract early.
How much is on Tigers cap? 300k. Not 600k. Because 300k is how much the Tigers are paying him.

myrrh ken

First Grade
The rules don't make sense though.

If Tigers are paying Momirovski's salary, and Storm are paying Grant's salary, why should Momirovski be counted under the Storm's salary cap.
That's an absurd implementation of a loan system and of a salary cap.

Wouldn't Tigers be paying Grant's salary and Storm paying Mom's salary in a 2-way loan deal? You gotta actually pay for the person you hire.

In any event, their market value has to be counted against the receiving team's salary cap - that would be right in my mind. Storm could ask a few players to take a little pay cut couldn't they?

adamkungl

Immortal
I guess it's not entirely clear who would be paying whos salary. I was assuming Storm would continue to pay Grant and vice versa, in which case I can't see how they can be capped for someone whos salary they arent paying.

But if their salaries are covered by the other club, then it makes sense to count it.

How does this work in other leagues? Not the cap part, but who pays which salary?

Travitoh

First Grade
Melbourne may have been the club going over the salary cap but Wests are the one who loses out.

It makes sense why but then also raises questions over salary retention when players change club.

If the difference is $16k, then does that mean the deal will be possible in a month or two?

Travitoh

First Grade
I guess it's not entirely clear who would be paying whos salary. I was assuming Storm would continue to pay Grant and vice versa, in which case I can't see how they can be capped for someone whos salary they arent paying.

But if their salaries are covered by the other club, then it makes sense to count it.

How does this work in other leagues? Not the cap part, but who pays which salary?

In soccer the salary is usually shared between the two clubs, with the percentages varying regarding different situations.

simmo05

Bench
Wouldn't Tigers be paying Grant's salary and Storm paying Mom's salary in a 2-way loan deal? You gotta actually pay for the person you hire.

In any event, their market value has to be counted against the receiving team's salary cap - that would be right in my mind. Storm could ask a few players to take a little pay cut couldn't they?
Geez don't bring up market value after that Mitchell debacle. No such thing in the nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore

I believe in SLthe club pays the loan players wages therefore sits on their cap. Blowing up a bit over there at moment with gigot playing “on trial” for Toronto for a month for “free” and queries if he signs for Rochdale.

The unknown

Juniors
He’s already the best #9 we’ve had in years and he’s only played 60 mins for us (not including Farah)

Latest posts