What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locke signed to the end of 2012

perverse

Referee
jeez that's short-term stuff. Locke wanting to test his value again in a years time? the club not sure if they want to go with the Fish or Locke?

he will certainly find a position somewhere in the NRL. i feel the warriors have treated his career poorly thus far.

Izz

Bench
They were just exercising the option from the current contract. I reckon they'll be in talks with him at the end of this season for a longer term deal.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
I think its due to their uncertainty of where they want to go/see if the can pick up a better winger/fullback in the meantime. They have Fish, Locke, Inu and Manu signed, so unless one slots into the centers (which is occupied by Mannering and Brown), one will probably leave the club soon.

Izz

Bench
aw right, like Lance ? :roll:
I think Hohaia leaving was a win-win for him and the club. He gets mega-bucks and a chance to play 7, Warriors could say they made him an offer so it didn't look like they were casting one of their sons out into the cold.

hitman82

Bench
With a potentially huge new rights deal and increased club funding and salary cap, some players are only negotiating short term deals in case they miss out when the big bucks get thrown around.

Izz

Bench
With a potentially huge new rights deal and increased club funding and salary cap, some players are only negotiating short term deals in case they miss out when the big bucks get thrown around.
It's the smart thing to do.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Can I suggest it'd be a bit of a giggle if anyone suggested they know what the go is with a one-year deal ,apart from Kevin, his manager and the club?

Izz

Bench
Technically it's not a one-year deal, though. It's the club exercising their right to the third year option in Locke's contract. It's exactly the same thing they've done with Maloney.

It's not 'inking a new deal' as TV3 suggests.

Last edited:
He signed his last contract in 2009 i think it was for a 2 yr deal plus 1 yr option. It was for the 10 and 11 seasons and option for 12. As if he was thinking about the tv rights deal in 09 cmon really

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
well actually any half decent manager shoud have thought f this. all pays should go up then. Kevin wil be nz fullback then too.

Micistm

Bench
Yeah, the extension option of a current contract, not a new one. IMO we are going to lose someone sadly, can't keep em all.
Pleased for Locke he's getting his fair chance in his position now though. Fishman is great from a speed point of view, I'm a little nervous of his easily broken nature atm, but he will get stronger there. In the meantime, Locke deserves his #1 chance and is showing he can do it. I'd want to see both in the fullback role for a fair time before deciding who's to stay and who's to go. Ideally keeping both would be great, but if one gets the official nod the other would shop around IMO. And fair enough.

Smart move. Kevin Locke is oozing with talent. Man, i love the look of next year. Locke, Fisiiahi, Hurrell (Possibly), Sione and Samiuela Lousi, Gelling (Possibly), Godinet and Johnson. Plus, there are the ones i don't know much about like Houma, John, Mara and Penehe. I'm not too keen on the signing of Nathan Friend. I don't know why, it's just that i don't think we need him since we've got plenty of hookers and utilities coming through the ranks.

Smart move. Kevin Locke is oozing with talent. Man, i love the look of next year. Locke, Fisiiahi, Hurrell (Possibly), Sione and Samiuela Lousi, Gelling (Possibly), Godinet and Johnson. Plus, there are the ones i don't know much about like Houma, John, Mara and Penehe. I'm not too keen on the signing of Nathan Friend. I don't know why, it's just that i don't think we need him since we've got plenty of hookers and utilities coming through the ranks.

He's an all round hooker and even though i share some of your thoughts, I think Friend will be ideal bloke to bring Mara and co up to standard
And Friend is an 80 minute player, which means more forwards to have on the bench