What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked in Schedule not so good?

docbrown

Coach
Not necessarily. Melbourne v NZ, Brisbane v Gold Coast (Melbourne/Brisbane at home) would work well if you're going to put the Sydney teams up against each other.

Yeah but as I said, do you really want to use up those matches on Easter weekend? Melbourne vs NZ is already the Anzac Day game.

Friday 4pm, Souths vs Bulldogs at ANZ
Saturday 4pm, Manly vs Cronulla at SFS
Sunday 3pm, Roosters vs Tigers at SFS (being on Monday 4pm from 2015)
Monday 4pm, Eels vs Dragons at ANZ,(being on Sunday 3pm from 2015)

If you use that proposal you've got to make 4 more games out of Penrith, Storm, Raiders, Knights, Broncos, Titans, Cowboys and Warriors

If you use NZ vs Melbourne (seeing as Anzac Day uses it) you're giving up the Melbourne Good Friday concept and playing that same game twice in the same 4-5 week period. But if you do use it and Brisbane vs Gold Coast you've got Penrith, Raiders, Knights & Cowboys left. The combos are Knights vs Cowboys, Raiders vs Panthers or Knights vs Panthers, Cowboys v Raiders or Knights vs Raiders, Cowboys vs Panthers.

Hmm... I don't know if they're the big blockbusters and I stand by what I said, those matches aren't as good as they would be if Manly and Sharks were also involved. You might get 2 big games (games you could still be playing else where) but the other 2 still aren't much chop.

It's just hard to squeeze out more big games if you use up the 5 big Sydney teams in the 3 matches. But for mine, there's more benefit in having those 3 big matches then diluting the rest.

Maybe an alternative to NZ vs Melbourne use up that Melbourne vs Manly rivalry

Roosters vs Tigers
Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs
Eels vs Dragons
Melbourne vs Manly (make that the Good Friday game...?)
Brisbane vs Gold Coast

You've then got -

Knights, Panthers, Warriors, Raiders

Knights vs Raiders
Warriors vs Panthers

maybe...?

firechild

First Grade
Yeah, that could work (though I don't like the idea of Manly having a game locked in for Melbourne EVERY year). Thing is it's so difficult to get 8 blockbuster games. Some teams have plenty of strong rivals (Manly have Wests, Melbourne, Cronulla, Newcastle and Parramatta) while NZ really only have a strong rivalry with Melbourne and to a lesser extent the Roosters. This was always the problem with rivalry round, some games would be completely arbitrary.

undertaker

Coach
Just had a look at the calendar for next year and Anzac Day falls on a Friday. Although Ch9 will be televising the Roosters/Dragons match that arvo (which they now have the exclusive rights to as of this year, regardless of whether it falls on a Friday or Sunday), it will be interesting to see if they choose to also show the Storm/Warriors game, which has been traditionally been played at Olympic Park/AAMI Park that evening, or if they opt for another match.

If Ch9 DON'T want to televise the Storm/Warriors game that evening, then I'd love to see the Storm/Warriors ANZAC game played in New Zealand for once, at either Mt Smart Stadium or even better, Eden Park, kicking off at 2pm EST (4pm NZ time) on Fox Sports. I'm sure it would get a huge crowd at Eden Park and furthermore, the game doesn't clash with the Roosters/Dragons match and it can still be held on ANZAC day this time being played during daylight hours rather than evening. I'd much prefer this than a suggested ANZAC game in Canberra just because it's in the capital city. Both Storm/Warriors and Roosters/Dragons ANZAC traditions are well supported, established and need to be retained.

What game Ch9 would show that night is another question. Best case scenario for the Friday night would be a match in Brisbane against a well-supported Sydney team such as Souths or Bulldogs (since Sydney already has an ANZAC game, no need to further saturate the market). I'd be leaning more towards Bulldogs, as Bulldogs - alongside the Dragons - are one of the best away supported sides. So, my ANZAC scheduling for next year would be:

2:05pm EST, live on Fox Sports - Warriors vs Storm at Eden Park
4:10pm EST, live on Ch9 - Dragons vs Roosters at Allianz Stadium
7:45pm EST, live on Ch9 - Broncos vs Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium

Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
An addendum to my previous post:

2015 THOUGH is going to present a very interesting situation. It will be the 100th anniversary of Gallipolli and there's been a lot of talk from RL fans of hosting the Australia/NZ mid-year test there, and AFL fans wanting their annual Collingwood/Essendon match hosted there. Scheduling and suitable venues near Gallipolli maybe the problem though. Also, in the unlikely case that the Australia/NZ test DOES go ahead, will the NRL abandon the Dragons/Roosters and Storm/Warriors matches and keep that Saturday an NRL-free day? The last time a test match was played on the same day as first-grade games was in 1993 I believe (when NZ played Australia at Mt Smart Stadium as the first of a 3-test series, whilst 4 Sunday arvo games were played that day including Balmain/Souths at the SCG, the first game at the SCG since the '87 GF: http://stats.rleague.com/rl/seas/1993.html#12).

If the Aus/NZ test does go ahead, given that the time difference between Istanbul and the east coast of Australia will be 7hrs, I wouldn't have the game kicking off no later than 8:30-9pm EST (which will be 1:30-2pm over there). Average daytime temperature is 20 degrees in Istanbul, hence conditions are pleasant for the players. A schedule such as this on Saturday 25/4/2015 would be good:

4:10pm EST, live on Ch9 - Roosters vs Dragons at Allianz Stadium
6:30pm EST, live on Fox Sports - Storm vs Warriors at AAMI Park
8:30-9pm EST, live on Ch9 - Australia vs New Zealand

thorson1987

Coach
Fox Sports have the rights to the storm v warriors game on Anzac Day.

9 have no chance of showing it.

undertaker

Coach
Fox Sports have the rights to the storm v warriors game on Anzac Day.

9 have no chance of showing it.

Thanks for letting me know that. I didn't know that Fox have the rights to it.

Given that Ch9 have the rights to Friday night football, next year's Anzac Day schedule seems the most sensible:

2:05pm EST, live on Fox Sports - Warriors vs Storm at Eden Park/Mt Smart Stadium
4:10pm EST, live on Ch9 - Dragons vs Roosters at Allianz Stadium
7:45pm EST, live on Ch9 - Broncos vs Bulldogs/Souths at Suncorp Stadium

Dogs Of War

Coach
I can't see why Channel 9 wouldn't show a Thursday night match with Anzac Day on the Friday, given it's the end of the week, and the day most likely to maximise ratings.

undertaker

Coach
Channel 9 will want roosters v dragons @7.30 pm

AFAIK, the Roosters/Dragons game has been an afternoon game since it's inception in 2002 and will continue being an afternoon game. They have the ANZAC parade during the day, followed by the match in the afternoon. I don't see it being in prime time anytime.

Also, Ch9 would much rather Broncos vs another team playing on Friday night rather than Roosters/Dragons:lol:

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I can't see why Channel 9 wouldn't show a Thursday night match with Anzac Day on the Friday, given it's the end of the week, and the day most likely to maximise ratings.

The Thursday night before Good Friday, I can understand. However, I'm not so sure about the Thursday night before Anzac Day. Which teams would you have scheduled to played on April 24?

docbrown

Coach
2015 THOUGH is going to present a very interesting situation. It will be the 100th anniversary of Gallipolli

Well for starters, you'd hope that the Aus vs NZ Gallipolli test match is being put together as we speak.

Secondly, if the AFL plays their fumbles match that Saturday night (Turkey arvo) then they're also likely play their St Kilda vs Sydney match in Wellington Saturday arvo.

The question is though that the Australia vs New Zealand game and the fumbles are going to be such big events that the Storm vs Warriors game might get over shadowed at 6/6:30pm. Maybe as a once off it's better to play it on the Friday night prior.

The Thursday night before Good Friday, I can understand. However, I'm not so sure about the Thursday night before Anzac Day. Which teams would you have scheduled to played on April 24?

I think Canberra could host an Anzac themed game during that round, an opener on Anzac Day eve though could be a big event they can sell.

If you were to ask me what would be my ideal team to play, well it's just a shame there's isn't a second NZ side yet as my choice would be Canberra vs Wellington.

In the mean time though they could get mileage out of hosting it against one of the bigger Sydney clubs (Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Eels) so as not to use up the Dragons or Tigers games...

Dogs Of War

Coach

I like docbrowns Canberra idea, and ideally you would want a Sydney club that would be least effected by the players who would be missing. Hard to say this far out.

Lambretta

First Grade
Having a fixed draw doesn't seem to hurt crowds in the other code

The difference with AFL is their crowds are large in spite of the fixed draw, not because of it and if you've never noticed they always seem to have big draw teams on their Friday night games.

AFL does tend to have a more predictable top 8 than Rugby League making it easier for them to pre schedule their draw.

undertaker

Coach
The difference with AFL is their crowds are large in spite of the fixed draw, not because of it and if you've never noticed they always seem to have big draw teams on their Friday night games.

AFL does tend to have a more predictable top 8 than Rugby League making it easier for them to pre schedule their draw.

Exactly. Do you think that the AFL would have GWS vs Gold Coast as their Friday night match? That'd be an absolute disaster for them.

Blockbuster Sydney rivalries such as Bulldogs/Eels, Roosters/Souffs, Dragons/Tigers, Bulldogs/Tigers etc. where a reasonably good crowd + strong tv ratings are guaranteed irrespective of where they are on the ladder should be shoe-ins for Friday night.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
I like docbrowns Canberra idea, and ideally you would want a Sydney club that would be least effected by the players who would be missing. Hard to say this far out.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Canberra kicking off the pre-Anzac festivities next year on Thursday night. Which team they'd play is another question. It'd have to be a Sydney team (excluding Dragons, Roosters or Bulldogs)

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think you overlooking that league supporters will take some time to get used to a fixed schedule. After a while it will become second nature to plan to go to Melbourne/gold coast to watch your team play Nd take a quick weekend away.

Lambretta

First Grade
I want to state from the outset that I am not a fan of the fixed draw - I much preferred the logic of the draw being picked for 5 rounds to best promote our game on FTA TV. The only winner from a fixed schedule is Foxtel - but good luck to them.

My suggestion from some years ago (and I haven't changed my mind) is to ensure that every club is featured on FTA during the first five rounds and no single club is featured more than THREE TIMES.

There are thirty slots on FTA during the first five rounds and every club should be featured with at least one home game every second year and one guaranteed appearance during this period each season.

From then on, Channel 9 should choose their match of the rounds for Friday night under the proviso that no side be feature two weeks in a row until the lead in to the Finals series, say four rounds from the end of the normal season.

There are three Queensland teams, plus the Storm who rate well in Brisbane, so Channel 9 can still have the Broncos on Friday nights say every third week and sort out the draw to everyone's satisfaction.

docbrown

Coach
I want to state from the outset that I am not a fan of the fixed draw

Well I think there's not much you can do about it until the next negotiation round.

The alternative I was suggesting was:
* Lock in Rounds 1-5
* During Rounds 6-21, lock in half the F2A games with those games being the major derby/event games - so say half of the Friday & half of the Sunday matches. Then you've still go another slot in which to shift a potential blockbuster as per the former 5 week ahead format
* Rounds 22-26 non-fixed

undertaker

Coach
The alternative I was suggesting was:
* Lock in Rounds 1-5
* During Rounds 6-21, lock in half the F2A games with those games being the major derby/event games - so say half of the Friday & half of the Sunday matches. Then you've still go another slot in which to shift a potential blockbuster as per the former 5 week ahead format
* Rounds 22-26 non-fixed

I like this idea