What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer v Thurston

Who was/is better?

• Total voters

God-King Dean

Immortal
Let's be honest, your opinion on the better player between Johns & Thurston, for the most part, is decided which state you're from.

Lockyer v Thurston debate is much more interesting, & isn't influenced by state bias.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
It's also a more serious discussion about who the greatest player is.

Lockyer for mine.

Thurston is tied for second with cam smith.

Exsilium

First Grade
Both are great players. They have/had very different strengths. For mine Thurston writes the book on halves play. He knows when to pass, run, kick, build pressure almost faultlessly but Lockyer had that vision. A footballers brain if you will. He was a smart half who always questioned the defense. Thurston seems more robotic whereas Lockyer just made you wonder how he saw the gap or play unfolding.

Tough choice but I'd have to go with Lockyer but if you had to compare Lockyer, Thurston or Johns I'd have to say Johns because he was so complete.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Thurston, without a doubt.

I can't imagine a single legit argument that places Lockyer above Thurston.

dogslife

Coach
In the sake of fairness, there has to be Tonie Carroll option as well since he was attached to Darren Lockyer at the hip

typicalfan

Coach
The talk about Vision is one thing. Thurston is a bit like Johns was that he manipulates the defense with his footwork. A step towards the defense is sometimes what opens the hole for his backrower to run through.

Barkley

Bench
Thurston wins because he is the most dominant half during his career (Once Johns retired)
Locky wasn't the best fullback or the best 5/8 of his time.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Thurston wins because he is the most dominant half during his career (Once Johns retired)
Locky wasn't the best fullback or the best 5/8 of his time.

Who was the best fullbacks between 98-03 and who was the best 5-8th between 04-11 then?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Who was the best fullbacks between 98-03 and who was the best 5-8th between 04-11 then?
Lockyer was the best 5/8 between 05-11.

The guy who dominated and led his team to 4 GFs in 5 years was easily the best 5/8 in the 2000s until he retired.