What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge

SmashEmBro

Juniors
O'Sullivan was a 22yo former Junior Kangaroo/NSW and Aus schoolboys halfback who had played less than 10 first grade games when we signed him as a reserve half. Unless it's on stupid money, it's not nepotism - just a failed gamble.

Lodge (ignoring the off field stuff for a second) is a decent starting front rower - not a star, but decent - who is totally reasonable on a 400k or so contract.

Neither case looks like nepotism. One is a failed low risk gamble and the other is a decent player at a fair price who I really wish we hadn't signed because of his past. And while it culminated in that horrible NY incident, that wasn't an isolated thing (for those talking about it as a 'one time' issue). I really hope he's on the shortest possible leash.

Hey Jaseg, what are some of these other stories, and have there been any since he’s been at the broncos?

Genuinely curious, I’m hoping he’s on a short leash too

Matua

Bench
Hey Jaseg, what are some of these other stories, and have there been any since he’s been at the broncos?

He was on a good behaviour bond for a series of offences including assault when he terrorised those young women, and then that family in the US.

I guess the good behaviour bond doesn't cross jurisdictions.

Russel Packer was a guy who actually did time, it beggars belief that Lodge avoided the big house.

blaza88z

Coach
Great signing. Big minutes and big meters every game, has an offload and tackle break in him too.
Broncos footing up to a mill for 2.5 years? That’s $400k a season, meaning we signed him for around $450k per year.

F**king beauty

Not sure where you are getting your figures but the Herald has come out and said today that Lodge is playing for you guys for 500k a season, which means we are paying 350k at most towards his contract (that's if the 850k figure is even accurate, last year it was 700k and now suddenly it's 850k, it goes up by the hour apparently).

Good player, has been vulnerable to some injuries and obviously his history with what he did in America, the new management must not have been comfortable having him at the club.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Not sure where you are getting your figures but the Herald has come out and said today that Lodge is playing for you guys for 500k a season, which means we are paying 350k at most towards his contract (that's if the 850k figure is even accurate, last year it was 700k and now suddenly it's 850k, it goes up by the hour apparently).

Good player, has been vulnerable to some injuries and obviously his history with what he did in America, the new management must not have been comfortable having him at the club.
Eh, we can split the 50k difference I’m sure.
I read Broncs paying a mill for the 2 and a half seasons.
My math has that at around 400k a season plus 200k for the half a season. But I did fail math at school so don’t rely on my numbers 😂

TheDMC

Bench
I dislike Melbourne as much as anyone, but I don't see a world in which what they did can be compared to what Lodge got up to in NY
I wasn't comparing what Lodge got up to with what Melbourne got up to, that would be silly. I was saying a club full of assholes can prosper just fine in a sporting competition.

sup42

Juniors

Lodge has since been quoted in an article posted on another Warriors website.

He confirmed that the Warriors paid less than half of his Broncos contract....from the horses mouth as it were.

His exact words were along the lines of just under half.

So that would be in the 400K range.

Bearing in mind the Warriors have only locked him in for the duration of the Broncos subsidy, the Warriors clearly drew a hard line with Brisbane over that.

When you add that to getting Reece Walsh for 50K this season, 450 after that....the Paul Turner no release while under contract incident, the Warriors have done extremely well out of the Broncos.

jaseg

Juniors

As I understand it, it was a list of minor incidents - put it this way: the Storm moved him on (while still a 20s player) mid-season despite him being in the NYC team of the year the previous season, then at the Tigers he had at least one minor incident before NY (the 'merkin' thing - edit: LOL, didn't realize autocorrect is why so many people say merkin on this site). Nothing that I know of since NY & subsequently joining the Broncos, but I've not been paying attention so maybe somebody else knows better.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He was refusing to pay his fines until the NRL stepped in. Hasn’t been anything major come out but you get a longer rope based in Brisbane.

Were a couple of funny stories where he didn’t like what was being said about him, 1 night he fronted Tallis at a function asking him if he would like to repeat his comments, and Tallis looked him in the eye and told him what he thought of him lol

Reactions: JJ

Matua

Bench
As I understand it, it was a list of minor incidents - put it this way: the Storm moved him on (while still a 20s player) mid-season despite him being in the NYC team of the year the previous season, then at the Tigers he had at least one minor incident before NY (the 'merkin' thing - edit: LOL, didn't realize autocorrect is why so many people say merkin on this site). Nothing that I know of since NY & subsequently joining the Broncos, but I've not been paying attention so maybe somebody else knows better.
You don't get put on a good behaviour bond for minor incidents. He assaulted his girlfriend repeatedly, on one of the occasions there were witnesses, so he admitted to that one.

jaseg

Juniors
You don't get put on a good behaviour bond for minor incidents. He assaulted his girlfriend repeatedly, on one of the occasions there were witnesses, so he admitted to that one.

Ah yeah, I'd missed that one. Definitely outside of what I had remembered. Can't be arsed right now beyond the quickest of googles, but it seems that was the same year as the NY thing? Ugh.

JJ

Immortal
Tbh I’d much rather have Vaughan, less of a merkin if there’s a scale to measure such things, and a better player

Just like AFB but nobody mentions his name. I reckon we should just accept he has turned it around. Why are we talking about him we signed him let move on. If he f**ks up again Ka Kite

Matua

Bench
Just like AFB but nobody mentions his name. I reckon we should just accept he has turned it around. Why are we talking about him we signed him let move on. If he f**ks up again Ka Kite
This was mentioned when the Warriors signed him.

We're talking about him because he's a somewhat controversial signing, you may be fine with it, others aren't.

There's lots of reformed crims in NZ we can help turn their lives around without importing the thuggish son-in-law of our recruitment manager from Oz from a club so desperate to get rid of him they're paying him to go.

@jaseg Same year, or at the least I think he was still on his good behaviour bond, which it seems doesn't cross jurisdictions.

Latest posts