What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomax extends contract

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGONS

Zac Lomax extends stay at Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:08 PM

St George Illawarra young gun Zac Lomax has extended his stay with the Dragons for a further season.

Although not off-contract until the completion of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season, Lomax will now be at the club until at least the end of 2020.

The 18-year-old made his NRL debut back in Round 10 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. A long-term hand injury has prevented him from featuring in first grade since.

The Temora Dragons junior is a two-time Australian Schoolboy and an Under-18s New South Wales Origin player. In 2017, Lomax was awarded NSWRL's Player of the Year for his age group.

Lomax – who only joined the Dragons' top 30 squad in 2018 – was pleased to prolong his time at the Red V.

"It's definitely a good decision I've made to extend my stay at the Dragons. My family and I are very happy to stay at the club. To come through the junior reps to now with the first grade squad, I can't thank the Dragons enough," Lomax said.

"The goal for me is to earn a spot in the first grade side and hopefully I'll play a few more before the season is out. It was a dream come true making my NRL debut so I'm looking forward to what's ahead."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward didn't shy away from Lomax's budding prospects in the years to come.

"Zac is one of the most promising players to come through our ranks in many years. He's a player we look at building this team around in the long-term because we think he has all the attributes to be an outstanding NRL player," Millward said.

"We do look at him as a long-term centre and we don't hide that fact at all. Although this is just an extension to 2020, we look at Zac as if he'll be a 10-year player for the Dragons and challenge for higher representatives.

"We're confident his potential will turn into a reality."

Lomax joins the likes of Cameron McInnes, Matt Dufty, Luciano Leilua, Joe Lovodua and Josh Kerr to extend their stay at the Dragons this season.

They will be joined by Brisbane Broncos prop Korbin Sims who signed a three-year deal with the Dragons in July.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/15/zac-lomax-extends-stay-at-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra extend Zac Lomax's contract
Local Sport
r0_0_5106_3404_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Long-term plans: Zac Lomax. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have extended the contract of emerging star Zac Lomax until the end of the 2020 season.

Previously contracted until the end of 2019, the Steelers junior will remain with the club for at least another season after signing the one-year contract extension.

Lomax made his NRL debut for the Dragons in the side’s round 10 loss to the Rabbitohs in May but has spent much of the season on the sidelines with a hand injury. The 18-year-old is looking to add to his tally in the closing week’s of the season.

“The goal for me is to earn a spot in the first grade side and hopefully I'll play a few more before the season is out,” Lomax said. “It was a dream come true making my NRL debut so I'm looking forward to what's ahead.”

Such is the regard Lomax is held at the club, Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward labelled the centre a player the side will be built around throughout the next decade.

“Zac is one of the most promising players to come through our ranks in many years,” Millward said. “He's a player we look at building this team around in the long-term because we think he has all the attributes to be an outstanding NRL player.”

“We do look at him as a long-term centre and we don't hide that fact at all. Although this is just an extension to 2020, we look at Zac as if he'll be a 10-year player for the Dragons and challenge for higher representatives.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5587617/dragons-secure-talented-rookie/?cs=302

How about this for a backline.
Dufty
Boyd
Robert's
Lomax
Nene
Widdop
Hunt
No way. Boyd is past it. Never rated him much even when he was with the Dragons. Roberts is over rated. Aitken is out of form and should be sent to seconds. Lafai is not getting the pill often enuff as Wids and Hunt are without any creativity at the moment. Lafai is one of the cleverest backs at our club. As for Dufty.. Has pace but little between the ears. Nene is one of the best finishers in the game. How did he not make the Blues squad?

This would be my backline for the remainder of the year.
Lomax
Nene
Lafai
Garrick
Marsters
?????
Hunt (only because there is no one else to replace him)

Without Widdop we will be knocked out of the final race even if we make the 8. So blood some of these youngsters. Would also like to see Blake Laurie take departing Leeson's place.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting point on the Lomax re-signing to 2020.
Jason Saab the other young gun coming through is also signed a long term deal.

Both Aitken and Lafai are both currently signed to 2020. One will have to make way sooner than later. Given the interview with Lomax he seemed confident of starting next year (at the latest).

The most likely scenario imo is that he will play wing for a while, with Lafai and Aitken as the centres (i'm not agreeing with this but just my opinion). A move to the centres will be determined by who is the more flexible of Aitken or Lafai.

Aitken is more likely to be more flexible and could transition into a forward more than Lafai. I believe Lafai will remain our centre for a while yet, with Lomax as the right centre and eventually Saab as the winger.

This is only determined if McGregor remains coach.

If we push the button on McGregor then I expect wholesale changes to our backline especially the 3/4 line.

I wonder if Young Zac has some dodgy mates who would be up for a bit of Nancy Kerrigan/ Tonya Harding action on Lafai, because it’s the only way he’s ever seeing first grade centre.

Growing up in Penshurst I’d imagine he would.

No way. Boyd is past it. Never rated him much even when he was with the Dragons. Roberts is over rated. Aitken is out of form and should be sent to seconds. Lafai is not getting the pill often enuff as Wids and Hunt are without any creativity at the moment. Lafai is one of the cleverest backs at our club. As for Dufty.. Has pace but little between the ears. Nene is one of the best finishers in the game. How did he not make the Blues squad?
Ok I gotta call this out.
Clever in what way?
Clever in the fact he never runs hard on to the ball?
Clever in he is always flat footed when he takes a pass?
Clever in his 10% flick pass success rate?
Or just clever in the fact he remains in first grade without ever justifying his place through performance?