What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Calling

Dave Q

Coach
Beep beep beep LU ladsters, tuning in to UK media for this classic Burgess background:-

By Telegraph staff and agencies (Uk)
Published: 6:20PM BST 29 Sep 2009

sam_burgess_1491741c.jpg
Star-struck: Sam Burgess was swayed by a face-to-face meeting with actor Russell Crowe, who has a controlling interest in the Rabbitohs Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The 20-year-old prop or back rower was under contract to the Bulls until the end of the 2010 season but the Super League club have agreed a compensation fee with the Rabbitohs.

Burgess, who has long held an ambition to play in Australia's National Rugby League, was pursued by a host of clubs but was swayed by a face-to-face meeting with actor Russell Crowe, who has a controlling interest in the Rabbitohs.

"It's a fantastic deal for Sam," said Burgess's manager Chris Caisley. "He's highly delighted and really looking forward to testing himself at that level."
Burgess, who was Super League's young player of the year in 2007 when he made his Great Britain debut, will play for England in the end-of-season Gillette Four Nations series before linking up with his new club.
Burgess missed last year's World Cup in Australia through injury but played in England's 66-12 win over France in June and, having been named in coach Tony Smith's train-on squad, is a certainty to make his final cut for the Four Nations.

He will become one of only three Englishmen to play in the NRL in 2010. Burgess' England team-mate Gareth Ellis has just completed a first season at Wests Tigers, where he will be joined next year by Wigan loose forward Mark Flanagan.

"Whilst I am excited about the prospect of playing in Australia, it has been a tough decision to make," he said.

"I have been at Bradford since I was 14 and have many friends at the club but playing in Australia has been an ambition since I was 15 and I am delighted that Souths have given me the opportunity to open a new chapter in my life.

"It's a good deal for both myself and the Bulls and I have really enjoyed my time at the Grattan Stadium.

"I am who I am today because of the Bradford Bulls systems that I have been in, because of the coaches and all the people at the club. Steve McNamara in particular, has been a massive influence on my career.
"They have all been very influential, both for myself and my career and I won't be turning my back on them because further down the line I'd like to think I may come back one day."

Today's announcement will be a blow to 2008 champions Manly Sea Eagles, who were earlier thought to be the front-runners for Burgess' signature but lost out to the persuasive tongue of Crowe, who took time out from filming in England this summer to meet the player.
"He could have more or less had his pick but he has chosen to go to Souths," said Caisley. "They did a very good PR job.

"They were one of the clubs able to take him under the salary cap and that was the starting point and, when we met Russell Crowe, Sam liked what he heard."

Caisley, a former Bradford chairman, was involved in talks between the two clubs over a compensation figure, thought to be around £200,000.
"It has taken some time to get there but we've come to an agreement on compensation," he added.
"I think everybody is pleased with the outcome. Sam only had a year left on his contract and at the end of next season would have gone for nothing."

The Bulls do have the option to re-sign Burgess, who has scored 17 tries in 79 appearances for the club, should he decide to resume his career in England and they match any other offer.

But Bradford chairman Peter Hood admitted the club could not stand in the player's way.

"It goes without saying we're all extremely disappointed to be losing a player whose potential to become one of the greats of the modern game is universally acknowledged," he said.

"We did everything we reasonably could to persuade him to stay but, to be fair to Sam, he has never made any secret of his determination to test himself in the NRL at the earliest opportunity.

"We were left in no doubt that Sam would walk free at the end of next season and, that being the case, it was simply a question of doing the right thing in the overall best interests of the club."

See the massive hit on ex-rabbitoh giant Fooey that made Sam famous:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFV6G0QKF3E

This clip was one of many shown by our recruitment team to the Souths cadre.

Our beloved Fooey; 108 kg, 183 cms, thrown by Sam like he was made of crepe paper!

The science on Fooey states that when he gets up a full ahead of steam, he hits you with almost lethal force, unless of course you are Sam Burgess!

More photographic action from secure.bebo.com:

burgess_375677a.jpg

I can tell you, that the Souths insiders (with all of their coolness and experience) are genuinely astonished at this incredible signing. Moreso because Sam has taken a pay cut to join us.

Once again brought to you by Rusty and the hard work of Souths Recruitment guru MARK HUGHES and his awesome team.

I can also confirm Sonic's revelation that he was signed several days before the rabbitohs official media release.

Love

Dave

Last edited:
Beep beep

I can tell you, that the Souths insiders (with all of their coolness and experience) are genuinely astonished at this incredible signing. Moreso because Sam has taken a pay cut to join us.

Once again brought to you by Rusty and the hard work of Souths Recruitment guru MARK HUGHES and his awesome team.

I can also confirm Sonic's revelation that he was signed several days before the rabbitohs official media release.

Love

Dave

Dave,I can tell you this will be a sign for the future.Players will take a pay cut to join us. :)

murraymob

Coach
why would other players take a pay cut.This is there living.Will be interesting to see if the money paid to Bradford is included in the cap

murraymob

Coach
it wont be... unless bradford is a part of our top 25 players?....

wrong if you pay a players wife to work for the club its included in the cap.Yet the wife is not part of the top 25.Any money regarding payment is part of the cap.So i will be interseted to know has this been included in the cap

Sugar

Bench
wrong if you pay a players wife to work for the club its included in the cap.Yet the wife is not part of the top 25.Any money regarding payment is part of the cap.So i will be interseted to know has this been included in the cap

The payment was made to Bradford for the release not a cent goes to Burgess it's a compensation payment to Bradford for losing a player.

It's similar to payments clubs and the nrl pay to bush and junior clubs for players that make the nrl from those clubs.

It could also open the door to players leaving nrl contracts early to other clubs , it happens now with players leaving mid contract but the clubs may start asking for compensation for the player

Dave Q

Coach
why would other players take a pay cut.This is there living.Will be interesting to see if the money paid to Bradford is included in the cap

Players might not take pay-cuts to join the Panthers mob, but this is Souths.

We are on the road to glory Mob and plenty of players want a piece of the action.

boo_boo

Juniors
I dont care if Souths pay overs for quality players.
But the results have to be there for us on the field for it to be a worthwhile investment.
If we have a good run with injuries then 2010 should see us in the Top 4 & there's no excuses.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
I dont care if Souths pay overs for quality players.
But the results have to be there for us on the field for it to be a worthwhile investment.
If we have a good run with injuries then 2010 should see us in the Top 4 & there's no excuses.

how could that not bother you? overs indicates my team isnt good enough for a player, so they want more money to come. that bothers me. does a player really want to be here under those circumstances? will you therefore really get the best out of them? i want my team to be a place players want to be. all souths fans want that. rusty wants that. why dont you?

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
how could that not bother you? overs indicates my team isnt good enough for a player, so they want more money to come. that bothers me. does a player really want to be here under those circumstances? will you therefore really get the best out of them? i want my team to be a place players want to be. all souths fans want that. rusty wants that. why dont you?
Well put Aaron and when Rusty whispers in there ear they come a running!

Dave Q

Coach
mmmm-If anything, I think a lot of our players are probably under-paid.

But not under-loved!!

boo_boo

Juniors

I'm the same as you Aaron i would like to think that Souths are a club that players want to play for but the day's when players came just for the honor of wearing the red & green jersey are long gone.
I believe that Rusty's passion for all things red & green has no answer to the modern day demands of the game & he cant do much about the current payments even if he wanted to.
As others keep telling me it's a business these days so many of these players are only here because of the cash & we have had to cut more than one player because of financial constraints as well as JT's remaining contract.
If we have to pay over's to compete then i dare say that's exactly what we will do because the current management sees this as the only way to remain competitive.

Fein

First Grade
I'm the same as you Aaron i would like to think that Souths are a club that players want to play for but the day's when players came just for the honor of wearing the red & green jersey are long gone.
I believe that Rusty's passion for all things red & green has no answer to the modern day demands of the game & he cant do much about the current payments even if he wanted to.
As others keep telling me it's a business these days so many of these players are only here because of the cash & we have had to cut more than one player because of financial constraints as well as JT's remaining contract.
If we have to pay over's to compete then i dare say that's exactly what we will do because the current management sees this as the only way to remain competitive.

Listen up you wanker.

I'm sure I am not alone when I say we are sick to f**king death of your "current management" bullsh*t and your cheap snipes.

Do us all a favour and go and stick your fat head in an oven.

Sugar

Bench
Listen up you wanker.

I'm sure I am not alone when I say we are sick to f**king death of your "current management" bullsh*t and your cheap snipes.

Do us all a favour and go and stick your fat head in an oven.

Three cheers for " current managenment" who are doing a superb job in comparision to "previous management"

Time get the fug over it booooobo

Fein

First Grade
Three cheers for " current managenment" who are doing a superb job in comparision to "previous management"

Time get the fug over it booooobo

Hip hip hoo f**king raaaaaaaay!!!

Things haven't looked this good since.......well....um......er.......1989!!! :sarcasm:

Dave Q

Coach
Boo you are a good guy and everything like that, but Ive noticed that you are really keen to diss the cadre ( current management) at almost every opportunity.

This club has gone further in 3 years than it had in the last 30.

Thats because the right people are managing and supporting the joint.

I think thats how most of us feel. God himself would find it hard to shake us from this committment to the new age and the cadre who are leading us to the promised land.

The dawn is breaking after such a long night.

Blinding shining, glory, summoning us to take our rightful place in this game.

With the ghosts of the last 30 years vapourising behind us, but not before shoving us gently forward.

Dave Q

Coach
Players taking a paycut to join the Retirement Village club? How ludicrous!

We havent had a troll for a while, especially one stuck in the past.

Say something else vile and stupid you knob-polishing piece of sh*t.

11 post wonderbar, hows the therapy going at club f**kwit?

And shouldnt you be doing your homework during the school break mong?

You are dog-f**king on-line chunk of yellow vomit.

Last edited:

boo_boo

Juniors
Boo you are a good guy and everything like that, but Ive noticed that you are really keen to diss the cadre ( current management) at almost every opportunity.

This club has gone further in 3 years than it had in the last 30.

Thats because the right people are managing and supporting the joint.

I think thats how most of us feel. God himself would find it hard to shake us from this committment to the new age and the cadre who are leading us to the promised land.

The dawn is breaking after such a long night.

Blinding shining, glory, summoning us to take our rightful place in this game.

With the ghosts of the last 30 years vapourising behind us, but not before shoving us gently forward.

Dave i believe that both Rusty & Nick Pappas are there for genuine reasons but i will never trust PHaC or Shane Richardson.