What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London

jargan83

Coach
So I’m off to London in August and was hoping for some recommendations on where I should be looking for accomodation.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So I’m off to London in August and was hoping for some recommendations on where I should be looking for accomodation.
Goes without saying that it's expensive so it depends on your budget and where you want to be located. Booking.com etc will give you a good range of choices.

On the upside, you don't have to stay in the 'centre' of London because the tube will take you just about anywhere.

Last time I went there was last October and stayed at the Central Hotel next to St Pancras station for 2 nights at about $200 per night. The room was small but had a bathroom and the location was perfect.

On an earlier visit I stayed in a pub in Walthamstow where I had a larger room and the tube wasn't far away.

Most of the time I stay with friends or family outside of London, by far the most economical choice if you can do it.

I almost exclusively used lastminute.com in London and just stayed in places for two nights then moved on to the next one. This was about 7 years ago. It was cheap, about same price as a hostel if you spilt it with someone.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Access is terrible. No shops nearby.

And you've gotta get past these guys first.

yes-minister_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqqi-ULC5HvxH1EG-rVeSh2jIg0WtyD1HskHLSrk3x6yE.jpg

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a lot of accommodation around Sussex Gardens. It's a trendy area near Hyde Park.

It's also expensive with tiny rooms, I suggest you avoid it. A mistake I won't make again.

Don't be afraid to go away from the Thames for your accommodation, as the Tube is bloody well connected, trains runs frequently all day long (worst wait I had at any station was 5 mins.)

Of all the touristy things to do, I highly suggest parting with a bit of coin and going to the Tower of London. I also suggest doing it just after lunchtime, as it takes a while and there's a ton of stuff there, bloody fascinating.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Of all the touristy things to do, I highly suggest parting with a bit of coin and going to the Tower of London. I also suggest doing it just after lunchtime, as it takes a while and there's a ton of stuff there, bloody fascinating.
I used to always avoid the touristy things, preferring to get to know the locals instead. I've washed a lot of dishes in other people's homes over the years. lol. Truth is, it has been reciprocal and you end up with friends for life. I highly recommend it, especially when you're a younger traveller.

But more recently I've done just as you suggested unit. Last time I even went on the Big Bus around London with my family. Something I never would have done in the past. It was brilliant, pretty cheap too. They have loads of these busses roaming around London all day, they take you to all those tourist locations and you can hop off and hop on as many times as you like. I actually learnt quite a lot of stuff I didn't know before.

jargan83

Coach
@jargan83 By any chance are you thinking of going to the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley? You're in London in August and it's a must do for any Rugby League supporter.

Had that thought but I think we'll be somewhere in Europe by the 24th of August.

Might have to do some creative convincing to the Missus.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Every time I have been I have stayed with friends in London or Brighton. As for the touristy things there are a lot of must do’s in London and surrounds, last time is was there was in 2011 and thankfully the pound was good against our dollar, other times I have been the pound against the dollar was poor but I didn’t let it stop me from having a good time.
As madunit suggested the Tower Of London is great to do, Hampton Court Palace is a must do, even if you are not a royalist Buckingham Palace is worth a look if it is opened and if you like anything botanical Kew Gardens is a must and I always love visiting or staying in Brighton.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Had that thought but I think we'll be somewhere in Europe by the 24th of August.

Might have to do some creative convincing to the Missus.
See how you go. Maybe I can help with the pitch...

I went to Wembley in 2016. Hull FC v Warrington.

We first stopped off that the Green Man Pub nearby to meet someone and found ourselves surrounded by 2000 Rugby League fans, presumably from the north. They were already singing. At the game it was same, an atmosphere that we just don't get in Australia. Very friendly bunch, they had plenty to drink but not a hint of aggro... quite the opposite to the soccer louts.

Wembley Stadium itself is a magnificent venue for football. Perhaps the best in the world. Well organised and easy to navigate.

The tradition and history of Rugby League was on display before the game. 76,000 in attendance. Outside of the stadium there's a big statue dedicated to Rugby League players, prompting lots of photos being taken alongside Martin Offiah, Billy Boston and a few others. I had to remind myself that we were in a soccer heartland.

On the tube, the camaraderie between opposition fans continued. I swear the Hull FC fans were at times consoling the Warrington fans. Maybe it's because they all have one thing in common, that they are League fans in a country dominated by soccer and needed to stick together.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to always avoid the touristy things, preferring to get to know the locals instead. I've washed a lot of dishes in other people's homes over the years. lol. Truth is, it has been reciprocal and you end up with friends for life. I highly recommend it, especially when you're a younger traveller.

But more recently I've done just as you suggested unit. Last time I even went on the Big Bus around London with my family. Something I never would have done in the past. It was brilliant, pretty cheap too. They have loads of these busses roaming around London all day, they take you to all those tourist locations and you can hop off and hop on as many times as you like. I actually learnt quite a lot of stuff I didn't know before.
Those busses are brilliant.

I don't much like cities, so I tend to just quickly hit some touristy stuff and then bail on the place.

I loved being in Yorkshire, just chatting league with old blokes in pubs. Holmfirth is a brilliant little place, rolling hills, quaint little English country town, friendly people.

York is an amazingly historical place that is definitely worth a visit. And if you're after scenery, go to Scarborough Castle, about an hours drive south of Whitby (where they have the Magpie Cafe with possibly the best fish and chips in the UK).

The Lakes District is also bloody marvellous for sight seeing.

T.S Quint

Coach
There’s a great view of London from the top of The Shard.
Also the walk up the stairs to the top of St Paul’s Cathedral. It’s worth it.

Borough Markets is great for a feed.

adamkungl

Immortal
I've stayed in a few places in London but I wouldn't really recommend any of them particularly highly. All pretty budget. Not sure what you're aiming for. Fwiw...
Whitehall - close to central location, but a bit dodgy feeling. Cheapish for somewhere in the middle.
Russel Square (Generator Hostel) - good location, pricey for a hostel.
Crystal Palace - this was a desperation one between Xmas and New Years. A fair bit out of the way. Not the worst suburb but a pain to get into town. Kind of like staying in Lidcombe to visit Sydney.

Things to see and do

The obvious touristy ones:
Buckingham Palace
Tower of London
The Shard or The London Eye (pick one)
Big Ben (under renovation currently)
Westminster Abbey
Natural History Museum
National History Museum

The less obvious:
Go to the theatre, see a show or 2. There are countless, for all tastes from musicals to comedies to disney
See some sports - London Broncos, the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley, EPL
Borough Market - cant recommend highly enough, staggering range of food. + heaps of other markets
Theres a million other museums and galleries
Get into random pubs that look good for a pint and a feed, or look up the best pubs in town to narrow it down.
There's heaps of good shopping if you or your missus is into it, Oxford St has a bunch of super high end malls
Wander around and enjoy the architecture, parks, random sights and sounds
Take a trip to Brighton or Bath

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Notting Hill Carnival is also on in August. Lots of colourful outfits, music etc but it has sort of morphed into a big piss up over the years. I've been there in the 1990s and more recently in 2016. And to be honest the 2016 experience was too crowded and a chunder fest in places - not enough toilets. A lot of the young folk in particular not being being able to keep it together. It was sort of like schoolies on steroids.

So be prepared and make sure you have good boots on due to the broken glass and rubbish on the ground.

But if you like a big party, then go for it. People selling spirits from their front verandahs was much appreciated, and totally ignored by the cops, as was the large wafts of smoke from the million or so joints being shared around in the streets.

Just remember that you'll be doing a lot of walking and you have to watch your step.

If you want something less crowded but still get the taste of Notting Hill, then go to Portabello Road for the markets and places to eat.

Plus... Camden Markets at Camden Lock is well worth a visit. It has become more touristy over the years but the street food is top notch and there's usually plenty of places to sit down and take it all in. Go up to the top of the old horse ramp and there's a pub up there that overlooks a good section of the markets.

Plus the Camden area has lots of street vendors which you'll pass on your way to and from the tube, Chalk Farm and/or Camden Town stations.

Pommy

Coach
The Notting Hill Carnival is also on in August. Lots of colourful outfits, music etc but it has sort of morphed into a big piss up over the years. I've been there in the 1990s and more recently in 2016. And to be honest the 2016 experience was too crowded and a chunder fest in places - not enough toilets. A lot of the young folk in particular not being being able to keep it together. It was sort of like schoolies on steroids.

So be prepared and make sure you have good boots on due to the broken glass and rubbish on the ground.

But if you like a big party, then go for it. People selling spirits from their front verandahs was much appreciated, and totally ignored by the cops, as was the large wafts of smoke from the million or so joints being shared around in the streets.

Just remember that you'll be doing a lot of walking and you have to watch your step.

If you want something less crowded but still get the taste of Notting Hill, then go to Portabello Road for the markets and places to eat.

Plus... Camden Markets at Camden Lock is well worth a visit. It has become more touristy over the years but the street food is top notch and there's usually plenty of places to sit down and take it all in. Go up to the top of the old horse ramp and there's a pub up there that overlooks a good section of the markets.

Plus the Camden area has lots of street vendors which you'll pass on your way to and from the tube, Chalk Farm and/or Camden Town stations.

I was going to recommend Camden markets but I thought it had been gutted by fire recently?

Vic Mackey

Referee

I went back in 2011 in August. I got told to check out the UNI dorms as the students are away on holidays at that time of year. I ended up staying there and it was great. Room was small however it was a good setup for 1 person. There was a section of 6 little 1 bedroom flats then you shared 2 bathrooms and had a common kitchen/dining area. Was pretty much the cost of a hostel but much better.

I can’t remember what it was called, was right near the Natural History Museum though.