What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Island Ospreys aim for USARL 2018

Long Island Ospreys aim to be the next New York club in USARL 2018

Tone Roderiguez a New York native, Rugby League player and a recent contestant on the Last Tackle reality TV show is part of a bid to bring a new Rugby League team to New York.

"The idea to bring rugby league to Long Island came about while I was at my union practice with Long Island RFC and a few guys had walked up to me asking what teams are in the USARL. I realized at that moment that bringing League to the the Island would be possible. I had pitched the idea to a couple of guys and they were on board. A good friend and former league teammate Nick Kostishak had offered his help to come on board, so he became my Vice President. Unfortunately he had a injury last season that ended his career , so he felt another way to contribute was to be apart of contributing to the league community and bring Rugby League to Long Island. Nick told me he felt that we have untapped talent on the island between major universities, clubs that may struggle to make it to the city. We're providing an outlet for them to play."

"After debating several names we had decided on naming ourselves the Long Island Ospreys because the Osprey is native to Long Island and we felt we needed to connect with where we represent. As of right now we have 3 possible locations we're looking at in Nassau County. Right now our core group of guys at this stage are coming from my union club Long Island RFC, but we will continue in recruiting all of the talent that Long Island has to offer. Our goal is to be able to compete in the USARL in summer of 2018. We plan on entering a bid towards the end of 2017 once we are sure we can give Long Island the best club to represent them possible"

Give the Facebook page a like and please share.

https://www.facebook.com/leagueontheisland

Last edited:

Dakink

Bench
From little things big things grow!!

Whilst tiny atm expanding the games footprint through grass roots clubs and natural growth is a positive way forward.

Nice. The USARL hasn't really seen as much growth as I think most people expected when they took over from the amnrl. Only one new club in that time really and it replaced one that folded. The development clubs don't seem to have, well, developed and the mid west hasn't kicked on. They should be aiming for at least one new club per year and preferably more. I don't know what incentives can be offered to make it happen, but it would be good to give new clubs or potential new clubs a leg up to get started. At the moment it seems to be up to one or two blokes from a union club with some RL experience who decide to give it a go as club founders.

Ideally we need as many of these clubs as possible with a view to starting a full season for the clubs able to do that and a second tier for those who can't or don't want to, similar to places like Wales.

Rugger

Juniors
Nice. The USARL hasn't really seen as much growth as I think most people expected when they took over from the amnrl. Only one new club in that time really and it replaced one that folded.

Since the the USARL "took over" in 2014, there have been 6 new clubs formed (Atlanta Rhinos, Central Florida Warriors, Tampa Mayhem, Brooklyn Kings, White Plains Wombats, & Delaware Black Foxes).

Also, hopefully this get off the ground. There was previously a Long Island team (South Hampton Dragons), but they folded after just one year.

But they didn't take over in 2014. The merger didn't happen until last year. There was good growth before the USARL became the recognised governing body but not much since. As badly as the amnrl seemed to be run they didn't have those development teams starting up in what was supposed to be expansion areas like Utah, Seattle, LA, Pittsburg at one time, the Hawaiian league and supposedly some movement in Texas. It would have been nice if something came from all that. They've got the WC in nine years. There's going to have to be some rapid growth kicking off soon.

Golden point

Juniors
Hi guys I'm new here. I've been following the US story for years and from my understanding under the AMNRL there would be many more teams in the US now if they were in control but the competition would be of very poor standard due to incomplete rosters,poor facilities,forfeits ect...leading to marketing limitations. Under the USARL and their structure clubs are accountable for ensuring that minimum standards of facilities and rosters are complete- a must for sponsors and fans. Growth may seem slow but like all grand buildings may take a long time to get out of the ground "that's because good foundations take time.

yakstorm

First Grade
There is no doubt that the USARL have created a great platform for the premier grade of competition.

Each of the clubs appear to have solid foundations and are growing both on and off the field which is great.

For me however, and this was a limitation of the AMNRL as well, is the lack of opportunities below the premier division.

Outside of the Minor League, which was created by the Axemen and resulted in 3x new clubs, there has been no second division / regional leagues, especially in the north-east.

If there was arguably a regional New York - Philadelphia regional league, then there would be a perfect platform for the Ospreys to join, rather than running the risk that they'll get into the USARL in 2018 and lose by 50 each game to more experienced teams or struggle to meet the minimum standards.

It would also help provide greater game time to the fringe players in the first division squads or provide a platform to blood new and interested players.

Anyway that's just my two cents, very easy to say when I'm not based anywhere near the US.

Best of luck to the Ospreys!

Golden point

Juniors
There is no doubt that the USARL have created a great platform for the premier grade of competition.

Each of the clubs appear to have solid foundations and are growing both on and off the field which is great.

For me however, and this was a limitation of the AMNRL as well, is the lack of opportunities below the premier division.

Outside of the Minor League, which was created by the Axemen and resulted in 3x new clubs, there has been no second division / regional leagues, especially in the north-east.

If there was arguably a regional New York - Philadelphia regional league, then there would be a perfect platform for the Ospreys to join, rather than running the risk that they'll get into the USARL in 2018 and lose by 50 each game to more experienced teams or struggle to meet the minimum standards.

It would also help provide greater game time to the fringe players in the first division squads or provide a platform to blood new and interested players.

Anyway that's just my two cents, very easy to say when I'm not based anywhere near the US.

Best of luck to the Ospreys!
The axemen did this. It was successful and now they have grown to a regional comp so yes it is a proven formula . Getting beaten by 50 isn't a real problem so long as they have the right infrastructure in place they will improve like the kings and rebellion. For there to be a development group you need a group,that's why alot of them fold- they have no one to play .maybe the best way forward would be to target a new area not to far from either the north or south groups and aim for a 3 team development comp. The USARL could allocate a development officer to organize 1 a year and see what comes out of it?

Sjrugby

Juniors
Wish the USARL would begin moving westward. Side note, anyone known where to watch league games, not including online streaming, it's been a while since I've watched a game on TV and my passion for league is growing.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Wish the USARL would begin moving westward. Side note, anyone known where to watch league games, not including online streaming, it's been a while since I've watched a game on TV and my passion for league is growing.
Fox Soccer had the rights to NRL and Super League the past few years, not sure if they still do for the upcoming season.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fox Soccer had the rights to NRL and Super League the past few years, not sure if they still do for the upcoming season.

Mostly was on some obscure alternate channel though, Fox Soccer Plus 2 or something. Was difficult to find when i was in the US last year

Sjrugby

Juniors
Hopefully one of the issues the USARL can try and take it upon themselves to do is arrange and bargain for rugby league to get put on TV for more then year to year bases