What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Kicks

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
giphy.gif

T-Boon

Coach
there were some pretty good long kicks for grass last night. Maloney put one in that would have been 40/20 and led to some excitement. Mainly all weekend it has been high kicks from inside own half though.

Artiste

Juniors
Bring back the kicking duels between the two fullbacks, that used to great to watch years ago, I remember some great ones between Greg Brentnall and Marty Gurr and quite a few others.
I remember one as a kid, in state of origin. It was Dale Schearer. Can't remember the NSW fullback though. Maybe Gary Jack..was awesome

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Would love to see a fullback catch it on the full on the 30, run a few metres and go for a 40/20 with nobody at the back.

It would either be brilliant or a disaster, either way I'd be entertained.

T-Boon

Coach
I remember one as a kid, in state of origin. It was Dale Schearer. Can't remember the NSW fullback though. Maybe Gary Jack..was awesome

I remember either that one or a very similar one. It seemed to go for a couple of minutes and involved Shearer. It is probably on youtube along with everything else ever.

T-Boon

Coach
Would love to see a fullback catch it on the full on the 30, run a few metres and go for a 40/20 with nobody at the back.

If the wingers were onside when he kicked it it would potentially be a try from the chase.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal

I remember tim sheens saying in an interview once he toyed with this idea with pat richards

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I’m typing this trying not to cry but as a broncos supporter the only long kicks I’ve seen for the last 8 years have been executed by our opponents

Artiste

Juniors
I remember either that one or a very similar one. It seemed to go for a couple of minutes and involved Shearer. It is probably on youtube along with everything else ever.
Yeah man that's right seemed like it went for a few minutes

DeeJ

Bench
I’m typing this trying not to cry but as a broncos supporter the only long kicks I’ve seen for the last 8 years have been executed by our opponents

Actually Milford's long kicking game was pretty good for half of last year. He led the NRL kick metres. Unfortunately, if he is kicking well, he won't do anything else. That includes medium and short range kicks.

BranVan3000

Coach
A high floating kick and putting on defensive pressure on the catcher is seen as the safer and more reliable option than a riskier kick that could result in a 7 tackle set

I’m not sure the 7 tackle set has added anything good to the game

T-Boon

Coach
A high floating kick and putting on defensive pressure on the catcher is seen as the safer and more reliable option than a riskier kick that could result in a 7 tackle set

I agree, but the ones from half way are poor quality sport.
You get that result you mention above (defensive pressure) for zero skill, application, precision, risk. As I said, it is just bad quality sport. Like the reverse sweep or starting an innings with an off spinner or parking the bus in soccer.