What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

loosehead 1998 article: The Worst St George team of all time"

mightybears

Bench
Can't be stuffed typing up the whole thing but the winter 98 edition of the now dead? loosehead fanzine had an article by an Edward Berridge that listed his "worst st george team of all time". The article had a paragraph on each postion/other contenders named in brackets etc.

Some a bit unfair, and nearly all 80's players

Fullback: Clinton 'lube fingers' Mohr [dean raper/darren south]
Wingers: Burt Gordon [88 panasonic cup aside]and Wilfred Williams
Centres: Bronko Djura and Chris Quinn
5/8: Steve Robinson.
Half: Steve Linnane
Lock: Paul Upfield
Second Row:Graeme Wynn and Henry Tatana
Prop: Johnny Fifita and Paul Osborne
Hooker: Peter Gill

discuss!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's a few players there who would be Immortals if they played for the Sharks.

Post-1998 but one hit wonder Quentin Pongia deserves a spot on the bench.

How did Henry Tatana get in that side? He was a champion!

Prop forward. Goal kicker.
New Zealand Test international.
Top club scorer for 1975 (117pts), Tatana kicked St George through to that year's semi-finals.
Played in the 1975 grand final.
Henry was the club's top point scorer again in 1975 (117pts) and 1976 (105pts).

Plus Graeme Wynn and Johnny Fifita?

lol. Tell him he's dreamin'

Rexxy

Coach
MightyBears...any chance you can scan anything from Tighthead. I've only ever heard about this legendary league fanzine. I'd love to see its format and style. Sounds like The Bladder or Chaser with a sporting bent.

And does anyone else remember The Saint???

gregstar

Referee
mightybears said:
Can't be stuffed typing up the whole thing but the winter 98 edition of the now dead? loosehead fanzine had an article by an Edward Berridge that listed his "worst st george team of all time". The article had a paragraph on each postion/other contenders named in brackets etc.

Second Row:Grameme Wynn and Henry Tatana

discuss!
graham wynn? he may have played on for too long but from '79 to '85 he was sensational - aus & nsw rep too don't forget!
Osbourne - had discipline problems, but was a damn fine prop when on song
steve linnane - rookie of the year in '85 & season's leading try scorer.
peter gill was not a hooker - he was a lock & second rower

gregstar

Referee
Southernsaint said:
I think it's a bit harsh on Greg Alexander's number one fan, Steve Linnane. Surely he would be trumped by someone like Damien Chapman for the prestigious number 7.

Mark Blackburn, Kurt Landers & Steve Funnell could all think themselves unlucky...
kurt landers!!!!
LOL!
wasn't he the big dork on the wing living off his old man's name?

i rated steve funnell - he seemed to lack the mongrel to fullfill the talent he had.

blackburn
LOL!
drugs are bad mkay!

mightybears

Bench
only henry was before my time/memory, but it was harsh on wynn and fifita [freddie teasdallesque qualities/his norths equivalent], and linnane did have one great year

osborne could have made way for jason hoogenwelf [i have no idea how its spelt]

these things reflect the age/viewing time [he seeems to have stopped watching in the early 90's] and also never pick the guy that played all of 2 first grade matches and was crap, instead its the guy that played a few years in a spot on and off during a time when the team was bad or will always be remember for one shocker of a match

the later is called "to be mavined" [sorry steve!]

Mong

Post Whore
Old Ed is a bit down on anything to do with Saints and the 80's... He's coming around though, he's a fan of Gator these days... :)

Personally i think kenwood should get the 5/8 spot

Saint 60

Juniors
he sure did and thats just a sad list...

G.Wynn was a dam fine second rower the first few years..he did get worse as the years wore on...i think its a pity parramatta never bought him or we didnt buy his brother...
Johnny Fifita another second rower and as hard as a bit of concrete...that list is just plain sad....bet John would like 5 minutes with the bloke that wrote that sh*te
Osborne was so bad? Canberra bought him to play front row down there - hes got about 10 kids now and is a polly from memmory..won a grand final or 2 with Canberra too i think...
Henry Tatana was like a small bull...

Edward Berridge this flip sounds like he was left right out....
goose.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I remember Andrew Hart almost always gave away a penalty in the first five minutes. You coud put money on it over a year and come out in front.

Maxwell

Juniors

Second Row:Graeme Wynn and Henry Tatana

discuss!
There was 2 rugby union players who came across Barry Stumbles , the other was a test Union prop Peter ???? not sure of second name both woeful . Someone might remember his name.

Old Timer

Coach
There was 2 rugby union players who came across Barry Stumbles , the other was a test Union prop Peter ???? not sure of second name both woeful . Someone might remember his name.
Peter O'Sullivan who was recently stood down at Easts recently over dodgy dealings on recruitment.