What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Eels

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I find it disturbingly interesting to follow the loss rates of players while playing for Parra. Particularly whether they've lost more or less than half their games in an Eels jersey.

Obviously those players who hadn't played first grade for us before this year will have positive records as Parramatta players. Dylan Brown has won 75% of his NRL games ffs!

But of the guys who played in 2018 or earlier it's interesting to see who has lost more than half their games as Parramatta Eels players. There are 23 of them in the current squad. Do youse know whom?

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I reckon Mannah has been in more losing games in blue and gold. He's basically been through a decade of us being junk.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It does seem like their records would be heavily influenced by factors outside of their control.
You'd think so, but then Kane Evans has an almost identical win rate with the Eels as he does with the Roosters.

Played a lot more reserve grade at the Eels though, because it's harder to earn a spot in our team.

You'd think so, but then Kane Evans has an almost identical win rate with the Eels as he does with the Roosters.

Played a lot more reserve grade at the Eels though, because it's harder to earn a spot in our team.
I know you're not one to take the sample size into account but I wonder if it might be skewing the numbers here. It is harder to earn a spot in our team though. I've long argued we should be more top heavy. As a poor team we need to take more risks.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We take plenty of risks. We sign players with off field issues or a history of injury. As for signing too many depth players rather than genuine first graders and genuine backups, you can only sign who's available, and we need to spend our whole cap.

We do need to spend our cap. Doesn't seem like we do though.

And we don't take those risks. We've gone for a squad that is a closer spectrum. It gives you more competition for spots but it also gives you a team that is closer to the fringe. That's only satisfactory for so long. If we aren't going to spend what the top teams do then you've got to do something different.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We're not really taking so many of those risks this year but in previous years we did. Known injury risks and off-field circus freaks completely derailed our 2018 after keeping it together quite well in 2016 and 2017.

We seem to have decided on a lower-risk approach since the review though, and are now shelling out some decent money for players - Paulo and Ferguson didn't come cheap, and Moses and Gutherson wouldn't have been cheap to retain. Likewise Waqa Blake.

A bunch of players have left or are leaving, or are still unsigned. Most of them will be replaced by nuffies on peanuts. Will this low-risk model be enough to compete with the big TPA clubs structured the same way? I doubt it. But we'll at least be consistent from one year to the next, probably.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
We're not really taking so many of those risks this year but in previous years we did. Known injury risks and off-field circus freaks completely derailed our 2018 after keeping it together quite well in 2016 and 2017.

We seem to have decided on a lower-risk approach since the review though, and are now shelling out some decent money for players - Paulo and Ferguson didn't come cheap, and Moses and Gutherson wouldn't have been cheap to retain. Likewise Waqa Blake.

A bunch of players have left or are leaving, or are still unsigned. Most of them will be replaced by nuffies on peanuts. Will this low-risk model be enough to compete with the big TPA clubs structured the same way? I doubt it. But we'll at least be consistent from one year to the next, probably.
Agreed. I think we’re finally getting our approach right this year. However IALB is right, we had far too much emphasis on depth and “competition for spots” rather than a quality top 15, a few spots up for grabs and then back ups.