What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Eels

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
And it's not 'at all costs'... what's being suggested is simply shifting our approach to higher risk. Pretty simple really.
If we lift our risk threshold to high in an attempt to buy (rather than build) our way to a premiership then all bets are off. We cannot possibly be in control of all of the long term impacts to our club.

I get your point entirely and understand the frustration of fans but I personally hope we never do something that stupid.

Happy MEel

First Grade
If we lift our risk threshold to high in an attempt to buy (rather than build) our way to a premiership then all bets are off. We cannot possibly be in control of all of the long term impacts to our club.

I get your point entirely and understand the frustration of fans but I personally hope we never do something that stupid.
I think we’re doing both. We are now building a team through our junior pathways and that has allowed us to spend more on genuine stars.

I actually think you really don't get my point at all. It is not any more of a short term solution than our current approach, which is to avoid finishing last.

Happy MEel

First Grade
That sounds like a low risk approach, not a high risk approach.
A low risk approach would be to stack the squad with average first graders to be able to field a decent team in the event of injuries.

A higher risk approach is to spend much more on playing talent in the top 17, have a few depth players, fill the rest of the squad with genuine back ups and hope they are not needed.

The junior development I mentioned enables both options. IALB and I believe we should go with the latter.

A low risk approach would be to stack the squad with average first graders to be able to field a decent team in the event of injuries.

A higher risk approach is to spend much more on playing talent in the top 17, have a few depth players, fill the rest of the squad with genuine back ups and hope they are not needed.

The junior development I mentioned enables both options. IALB and I believe we should go with the latter.
Exactly. Much like the Roosters. They go alright.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's not high risk, it's how every club tries to do it.

High risk is where you sign the stars you can afford - the ones in lower demand because of their injury or personality issues, such as Hayne, Norman and Tony Williams.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

So do what we are already doing? I agree.

The stuff about taking more risk confused me until you placed it all in a nice neat little package (and included a toy).

Good talk.

Happy MEel

First Grade
That's not high risk, it's how every club tries to do it.

High risk is where you sign the stars you can afford - the ones in lower demand because of their injury or personality issues, such as Hayne, Norman and Tony Williams.
I disagree with your first sentence but agree with your second.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So do what we are already doing? I agree.

The stuff about taking more risk confused me until you placed it all in a nice neat little package (and included a toy).

Good talk.
Yep, I think we’re definitely getting the balance much better than we have previously.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Love a good conspiracy, tell me more.
George Soros has been propping up the Roosters for years from his pizza parlour in Atlantis. He sent down a alien lifeform that he called 'Nick Politis' to coordinate efforts on the ground.