What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Love this from Barrett

NagesJnr

Juniors
Barrett seasoned for return to Kogarah Oval

Glenn Jackson | March 25, 2009

Like any decent playmaker, Trent Barrett knows what's coming next.
"They'll give it to me," the Cronulla five-eighth said of his first match against his former club St George Illawarra, and the potentially incendiary reaction by the Dragons faithful. "But I've had that before. They used to give it to me when I played for 'em so I don't think it's going to be any different."
The chuckle following the statement would suggest it was said in jest but in truth he is quite right. Like possibly no other, Barrett was the poster boy for the Dragons in success and failure. The highest-profile player in an underachieving line-up for many years, he was singled out by Dragons fans over their failure to win a premiership since the marriage of St George and Illawarra.
And now he returns. After 199 matches over 10 full seasons with Illawarra and then the merger, Barrett will play against the Dragons at Kogarah on Sunday.
Maybe it's the knowledge that he cops it whether with or against the club, but the 31-year-old said the clash didn't daunt him.
"Lots of players play against their old clubs," he said. "It's not anything new. But being there for so long I suppose, turning up to Kogarah and seeing so many familiar faces … but I'm going to enjoy the day. It certainly doesn't daunt me. I'm looking forward to getting out there.
"It'll be a short week so it'll be upon us pretty quick. But I'm certainly not going to put any more pressure on myself going into this game. I've been away from there for three years and I'll just treat it as any other game - that I'd really like to win. We always looked forward to playing Cronulla [at the Dragons], and it's exactly the same here. I guess Cronulla are said to be the poor man of the two. The boys have a lot of passion for that."
Barrett admitted he never thought he would be playing against the club, although he won't be completely disorientated; at the Dragons, the players did use the away dressing room for training. "I know what it looks like at least," Barrett said.
What had been slightly unclear after Barrett opted for the Dragons' neighbour following two seasons with Wigan in Britain, was how close he was to returning to the home dressing room. Barrett was courted by the Dragons about a possible return and the five-eighth said he toyed with the prospect for a period.
"I thought about it," Barrett said. "There was an opportunity to go back there, but I think once you leave a place and move on - I would have been going back for the wrong reasons, going back for my mates, I guess, and in the end I'm really happy with the decision I've made. I'm happy here and we've got a good club and a good coach and I've fitted in well."
He says Wayne Bennett appears to have fitted into his old club. After watching them over the first two rounds of the premiership, he said the team was different to the one he represented - not just in personnel.
"I think he [Bennett] has brought instant respect to the club," Barrett said. "Even before a ball was kicked, he brings a bit of an aura with him. He's a super coach and his record proves it. Speaking to the boys, they have a lot of respect for him.
" He's certainly helped them on and off the field."
During negotiations with the Dragons, new coach Bennett, as he did with other players he coveted, phoned Barrett. When it was put to Barrett that not many people say no to Wayne Bennett, he simply replied: "Yeah, or Ricky Stuart."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/barrett-seasoned-for-return/2009/03/24/1237656930577.html#

spider

Coach
barrett said:
They used to give it to me when I played for 'em so I don't think it's going to be any different.

thats funny, true - but funny

During negotiations with the Dragons, new coach Bennett, as he did with other players he coveted, phoned Barrett. When it was put to Barrett that not many people say no to Wayne Bennett, he simply replied: "Yeah, or Ricky Stuart."

ha ha

Last edited:

Latest posts