What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

low drawing crowd at suncorp-there was a solution

nqcowboy87

Bench
mentioned it during the roast about playing this at dairy farmers or somewhere else, the solution playing it in cairns, i remeber in yr 12 when the storm played the cowboys at barlow there was about 17,000 there and denis keefe was asked about the possibility of playing a regular season home game in cairns and while not saying no entirely he said that the cowboys already had an agreement to play their home games in townsville but raised the idea of maybe a sydney club bringing a home game agaisnt the cowboys up to cairns and he mentioned the bulldogs as one of the possible teams, and seeing as these teams havent been lighting the world on fire it was eveidnet about three weeks out from this match it wasnt going to be a huge drawing game why not move it to carins if barlow isnt up to brodacsting or nrl standards play it at cazaly's its hosted nrl matches before and i gaurantee youd geta decent crowd cowboys fans in cairns and surrounding areas such as the tableands would rock up to watch anrl game and theyres plenty of bulldogs fans in cairns, in fact theres plenty of supporters from other clubs on of my friends dadas is a adelaide rams supporter(or was), so there'd be no problem with support

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Actually a potential good idea... but it's far too costly to stage.

yakstorm

First Grade
The problem with hosting at Cazlay's Stadium is the legal capacity of the venue is only 12,000, meaning to make it a venue of reasonable size, temporary seating has to be brought in, not to mention the associated costs with getting Fox Sports to cover games from there and so on.

Honestly it would have been nice to see the match taken to say TIO Stadium in Darwin. The venue can hold between 15-17K, and has the necessary broadcast facilities for Fox Sports which helps keep costs down. The NT government is also keen on games, and pays big money just for trials, so they would be likely to come to the party for a standard NRL match.

Considering as well this match is being played for the Reconciliation Cup, I think the NT public might be more supportive of getting behind such a concept. When the AFL held a match between Carlton and their ATSIC All Stars there they drew 17,500.

mentioned it during the roast about playing this at dairy farmers or somewhere else, the solution playing it in cairns, i remeber in yr 12 when the storm played the cowboys at barlow there was about 17,000 there and denis keefe was asked about the possibility of playing a regular season home game in cairns and while not saying no entirely he said that the cowboys already had an agreement to play their home games in townsville but raised the idea of maybe a sydney club bringing a home game agaisnt the cowboys up to cairns and he mentioned the bulldogs as one of the possible teams, and seeing as these teams havent been lighting the world on fire it was eveidnet about three weeks out from this match it wasnt going to be a huge drawing game why not move it to carins if barlow isnt up to brodacsting or nrl standards play it at cazaly's its hosted nrl matches before and i gaurantee youd geta decent crowd cowboys fans in cairns and surrounding areas such as the tableands would rock up to watch anrl game and theyres plenty of bulldogs fans in cairns, in fact theres plenty of supporters from other clubs on of my friends dadas is a adelaide rams supporter(or was), so there'd be no problem with support

cairns is a great place. should happen. lots of league supporters in cairns and north qld in general

aarondoyle

Juniors
You don't break even at Suncorp till you pull over 15k or so attendence. So last night cost them $$$ as it is.

I bet they'd make more in Cairns than Brissy. Reckon Cairns might even put up some money to have them too.

Latest posts