What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowe stakes NRL claim

Lowe stakes NRL claim

25 Feb 2008

BenLoweHeadShotDetail-cfe394f4-b533-4d18-a608-82bb2af79175.jpg
Tough back-rower Ben Lowe staked his claim for his Charity Shield and NRL debut with a strong showing against the Sharks at Bluetongue Stadium. The younger brother of prop Jaiman Lowe, Ben was an instrumental figure in Souths early tryscoring spree in the 44-0 win with two tries.
Ben Lowe scored tries in the 12th and 25th minutes as the Rabbitohs built a commanding early lead in the pre-season trial game.
A bulked up Lowe has added 10kg to his already impressive frame in the off-season and now weighs in at around 100kg. The easy going 22-year-old joined the Rabbitohs midway through the 2007 season from the North Queensland Cowboys. He was a key player in the North Sydney Bears’ charge to the premier league grand final last year but is yet to make his NRL debut. That may now be less than three weeks away.
Lowe combined well with his inside men during the encouraging win over the Sharks, reaping the fruits of a arduous pre-season.
“It was good to get a hit-out against some quality NRL footballers,” he said.
“It was good to get out there and play some footy with the season only a few weeks ago. We’ve been putting in a lot of work in the off season. I’ve been doing a lot of things with our halves, Ben Rogers has been helping me out and I’ve been working with Eddie Paea trying to get a few combinations going and it is a good thing to see them working against the Sharks.”
The 2006 Australian Schoolboy said he couldn’t remember the last time he scored a double.
“I would have to go back a fair way to find that out,” he said.
“It’s not something that happens all the time. I really enjoyed getting a couple of meat pies. It will give me some confidence heading into the weeks ahead, the Charity Shield and the season itself. I feel like I’m playing some pretty good football and playing consistently which is what I want to do. I just have to keep it up.”
Like his brother Lowe grew up in Toowoomba playing for the Newtown Lions. He played lower grades for North Queensland and one of his big goals for 2008 is to make his first grade debut.
“That is what I am aiming at,” he said.
“It’s something that has been motivating me throughout the off season. That is my immediate goal and then I want to build on that. But I’m not getting carried away. While it was good to get two tries there is a lot of competition for spots and I have to keep performing if I am going to earn a first grade spot.”

Latest posts