What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Broncos Player of the Year 2016

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I had a look back through the voting and there was only a very small amount of voting, so I don't think we should base the winner on these votes. Instead, I suggest that we vote 3-2-1 (3 means best player over the season in your opinion) on the candidate list I created. Please provide a short justification for your selection. In no particular order:

Corey Oates
Matt Gillett
Anthony Milford
Darius Boyd
Sam Thaiday
Adam Blair

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Darius Boyd. In my opinion Darius has taken his game to another level this season, and on top of that appears to be developing leadership skills.

2. Corey Oates. Got off our sets to a great start, made a tonne of line breaks and had incredible finishing ability. If it wasn't for that few weeks where he couldn't catch a ball, I would have given 3 points.

1. Matt Gillett. To go with his running game, he has now become incredibly important to the Broncos through his defence. There are still times throughout the season he goes a bit quiet, so there is still things for him to work on.

Milford had a stellar start of the season and was on track to easily take this out, but then lost his way and was probably lucky to avoid some criticism with Hunt copping the most of it. Thaiday had an awesome finish to the season but was too slow to get started.

Bronco18

Juniors
Good on you for hanging in there GoTheBroncs despite a pretty up and down season.

I'll back your votes but swap Oates and Gillette.

3. Boyd
2. Gillette
1. Oates

DeeJ

Bench
From that list:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Matt Gillett
3. Sam Thaiday

If it was from my own list I would have had McCullough at 2. He really has become the glue that holds the team together.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
3 boyd
2 gillett
1 blair

Thought thaiday was very good
Wallace and Glenn as well.
Looking forward to next season.
No excuses

Nightward

Juniors
3: Corey Oates. We won a substantial number of games because of his speed and ability to score. Does some crucial work early in sets that made the forwards look like bludgers at times too.

2: Anthony Milford. Responsible for the vast majority of our attacking plays. Could arguably have had the 3 but needs to reign in his unfortunate brain snaps under pressure- he places an expectation on himself at times that he has to score and pushes a little too far when it would be smarter just to take the tackle.

1: Darius Boyd. Seasoned old hand who held the line in defence and added a bit of attacking power to the right hand side which sorely lacked potency compared to the left's Oates. Would be a deserved captain next year.

Gilett barely misses out.

EDIT: Strange that McCullough didn't make the list. He's a bit of an invisible man at times but the weeks he was out showed how important he was to the team makeup.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
It is no surprise that, belatedly, Darius Boyd is the LU Broncos player of the year for 2016. Darius had an outstanding year, becoming arguably the best fullback in the world, claiming the position in both the QLD and Australian teams, winning the Paul Morgan medal as the Broncos best-and-fairest and winning the Ron McAuliffe Medal (Maroons’ Player of the Series).

Darius has overcome a history of personal issues to become a leader amongst the Broncos ranks. He is even the favourite to take over the captaincy role in 2017.

Well done Darius!

Previous Winners

2015 – Corey Parker
2014 – Ben Hunt
2013 – Corey Parker
2012 – Josh McGuire
2011 – Corey Parker
2010 – Sam Thaiday
2009 – Karmichael Hunt
2008 – Michael Ennis
2007 - Petero Civoniceiva
2006 – Darren Lockyer