What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU - Greatest Drummer Of All Time

Liam

Juniors
Inspired by the guitarist thread.

For me it's Danny Carey from Tool, the dude must have about 10 arms, he manages to play about 3 different time signatures at once.

HevyDevy

Coach
Danny is brilliant but Vinnie Coaulita is a freak.

And of course the great Carter Beauford.

And Hellhammer.

Nuke

Staff member
I don't really know what constitutes a great drummer, so I'll just vote for my favourite: Queen's Roger Taylor. Complements the rest of the band perfectly, and has been known to write some great songs (Radio Ga Ga and A Kind Of Magic being his two most well-known).

snoozer

Bench
i'm old school so i'll say bonham or moon.

stu copeland from the police was a freak.

love danny carey as well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Some times its a matter of opinion, Bonzo was great but never complicated like Carey

Ginger Baker was probably more clinical than anyone I've ever heard.

Its hard comparing them to the like of the Joey Jordinsons of now days where they rely specifically on the speed of their double kicks. Alot of drummers cant keep up with the speed of their double kicks but that doesn't mean they are better with their hands.

Sandy Nelson from the big band era was very original but pretty easy to copy.

The "best" I've ever seen or heard would be Gene Krupa. He didn't need a double kick and 6 tom toms to make a lot of noise.

Video Google him and you'll see what I mean, although there aren't many.

Cupid Stunt

Bonham. But that votes probably dripping in nostalgia, but still justified.

Travis Barker. You don't have to like Blink, but the guy can play drums.

"Thunder God" Richard Allen. You have to give credit to a guy like that. Especially as he still has more talent than a lot of current drummers.

gUt

Coach
Even though he's considered to be kind of a joke, Lars Ulrich pioneered a certain sound in metal drumming.

No one had hit the skins as hard as Bonham.

Thomas Haake is the best that I have ever heard. Chris Pennie is also extremely good.

carcharias

Immortal
charlie watts....apparently he is a gun.

I don't really care how good they are just as long as they keep time , don't fug up and know their place.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'll go for Keith Moon.

Technically not the greatest but the guy was madly insane and entertaining.

A true rockstar in every sense.

Has to be Joey jordison for me. The guy is a freak. Also very versatile as he has filled in for metallica, korn and rob zombie. He is also not too shabby with a guitar as he plays for murderdolls. Joey would have to be the best modern day drummer. Can't really comment on the olden days as I'm not familiar with them.

As has been mentioned. Forget blink182 but Travis barker is pretty awesome

azzah72

Bench
Always dug Chad Sexton, Taylor Hawkins and Travis Barker.

There beats just match every song they play and man they all have some nice licks.

Hard to comprehend what constitutes a great drummer though, some would argue Ringo Starr was an excellent drummer, I think he was pretty simple but did it work for the beatles? You bet!