What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Brooks

WA Tiger

Bench
Yep our recruitment decisions have been top notch over the last 10 years
I think your credibility in guessing the potential of half backs has been proven to be, to say the least, average to bad.
A little less clever words and a little more substance would lift your standing here
And having the last say isn't that important - and its when you get boring.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Give it a break, maybe talk about current, since Hartigan arrived, and it has been great. There is not much around, so to get someone of his quality is indeed top notch.
Maybe if Brooks was a more dominate player in his career, we wouldn’t have needed Hastings.
If you want to talk about the last 10 years, who has been here the longest, we have got rid of everybody to give him his team, still not happening.
Anyway, he’s signed so we’ll see what value he brings.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Give it a break, maybe talk about current, since Hartigan arrived, and it has been great. There is not much around, so to get someone of his quality is indeed top notch.
Maybe if Brooks was a more dominate player in his career, we wouldn’t have needed Hastings.
If you want to talk about the last 10 years, who has been here the longest, we have got rid of everybody to give him his team, still not happening.

There has still been a fair share of duds but I like the youth approach we’ve been building. I’d love Hastings to prove me wrong but it’s a huge leap from super league to NRL.

Shredder

Juniors
Canberra have done OK picking up players from the UK

It worked for both Balmain and Wests in the past as well. Ans a lot of the coaches over there are Australian.

Not sure there is really THAT much of a difference anymore.

It worked for both Balmain and Wests in the past as well. Ans a lot of the coaches over there are Australian.

I agree Shredder, would also think that Hartigan via the Roosters connection would have spoken to Adrian Lam about Hastings as well.

Pezz70

Juniors

It’s still significantly different over there but the UK players have that bit of ‘C’ in their make up, it’s a good characteristic in a contact sport.

gordsy

Juniors
Everyone talks about hartigan and retention like he is a demi god but if he was responsible for signing Joe O and Jimmy the junk plane then he's done a shit job so far in my mind.

ed612313

Juniors

Laughable..... Whats next? Get a few Union players onboard? When you say it "worked" what do you actually mean? Sam harris? The only union player that remotely worked in the last 30 years at either club was jarrod saffy.

Tigerm

First Grade
Blocker must have forgot the bloke is still under contract for another 2 years?

Balmain legend Steve Roach’s advice for Tigers halfback Luke Brooks

Balmain legend Steve ‘Blocker’ Roach believes Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks should “move on” from the club at the end of the season and get a fresh start elsewhere.

Fordy20

Juniors
I definitely agree with Blocker on the quoted points below:

"If I was him, I’d probably be looking to move on.

“I reckon there would be a lot of clubs that would be interested. He’s shown good signs, he’s a good player.

“I think he’s hard done by. I think he’s a pretty good player Luke Brooks.

“You put him in one of those top-flight sides, a lot of people would be talking about him. He won the halfback of the year only a few years ago.

“I just feel sorry for him because he’s the poor bugger that cops all the flak every time the Tigers get beat. He’s the one that seems to cop the raw end of the stick.”

Can't see Brooks going anywhere though. The club has made it pretty clear keeping him is a priority, he was the first one extended when Madge came on board. The club has no incentive to let him leave anyway.

Outsiders perspective here but one that comes from a position of great fondness for Wests Tigers.

While Douehi has been good this year, the immediate future of the WTs is linked to how well you can get Brooks playing; he is by far the player with the most class in your side. However, I think that he is being hamstrung by having to do everything on the field; he is not an organising half and probably is unlikely to become one now at his age and with the coaching at WTs (Madge is more a motivator than a developer). Given that I would do three things:
- move Brooks to five-eighth
- bring in Hastings as starting 7
- do everything you can to get B Smith from Melbourne. Pay him a million, swap any player that Bellamy wants (no one but Brooks should be off limits), even move the club to Queensland.

An unencumbered Brooks playing at the advantage line is the key to your success (as well as an improved kicking game).

Outsiders perspective here but one that comes from a position of great fondness for Wests Tigers.

While Douehi has been good this year, the immediate future of the WTs is linked to how well you can get Brooks playing; he is by far the player with the most class in your side. However, I think that he is being hamstrung by having to do everything on the field; he is not an organising half and probably is unlikely to become one now at his age and with the coaching at WTs (Madge is more a motivator than a developer). Given that I would do three things:
- do everything you can to get B Smith from Melbourne. Pay him a million, swap any player that Bellamy wants (no one but Brooks should be off limits), even move the club to Queensland.

An unencumbered Brooks playing at the advantage line is the key to your success (as well as an improved kicking game).
Thanks for visiting hey. We like Panthers chums but not Ivan.

Theres a big Madge interview out today and Brooks is not really being mentioned as a lifer like Steff, Daine, Blorey or Doogie.

He’s in the second tier of the fg grade and until he wins our trust back, so he will remain.

Wt is no longer a pay-day club and the days of largess are well and truly over. Madge said we need a solid basis of 6 or 7 good players and others will join.

Stay safe cousin uggie.

stryker

First Grade

Mate I agree.
We‘ve tried everything over many many years. He couldnt do it with Robbie feeding him with Tedesco and Moses running outside him. He couldn’t do it with Robbie feeding him and Benji running outside of him. He can’t do it with Doueihi and Laurie running outside him. He has always had other good players around him and still failed. The bloke just doesn’t have that killer instinct to pound a team into submission. His natural game is to run the ball and some games he makes 15m….

There would be dozens and dozens of occasions where the team found themselves up by 8+ with 10 to go and he couldn’t close it out for a win. He isn’t the clubs golden ticket to the finals, he is the anchor keeping the club out of the finals. If he must stay here, he cannot play halfback next year. I agree 5/8 and take all responsibilities off him. Run the ball and setup the outside runners.

Tiger05

First Grade
do everything you can to get B Smith from Melbourne. Pay him a million, swap any player that Bellamy wants (no one but Brooks should be off limits), even move the club to Queensland.

I like your idea but this is fantasy footy. We are the Tigers mate. If we pay 1 million the other team pays 900k plus a 10 million dollar property portfolio.

Vozzy

Juniors
You would only let Brooks go if you knew that Hastings becomes better not let him go then Hastings has worse form then Brooks and we are back to square 1. Unfortunately there are no halfbacks growing on trees these days.

Latest posts