What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis Appreciation Thread

Munky

Coach
I'm going to be honest here.

When he signed for Souths in 2008 I wasn't to upset. His form over the preceding few years was hot and cold at best and his best performances came on the wing.

After signing with them he was moved to halfback and showed us what he could do.

Thank god we ended up keeping him since he has become the heart and soul of our team and should be for about another 5 seasons.

Since 2008 he has become close to the best backrower in the game. Gallen would be his main rival but they are totally different players and I believe Lewis is more of a match winner.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Thanks for bumping this thread Doomednow.

I will say it now. He will retire the greatest ever Panther.

Brandy currently holds that title, but in 5 years time Lewis will eclipse him.

natheel

Coach
Love the bloke! Should never be left out of the nsw side ever and should be starting over Ben creagh!!!!!

Doomednow

Bench
I remember when I heard he was going to Souths. Couldn't believe it, and was extremely relieved when he stayed. Didn't realise just how great he would turn out though.

I'm not sure he will get a start. A lot of the praise for him from the media has been about how he adds "spark" from the bench and how great that is. Which is unfortunate.

campbo

Juniors
Just found this thread and have to agree he will the greatest ever Panther when he hangs em up. Hopefully he stays injury free and can also become the first Panther to crack 300 which he has been quoted as saying it is a long term personal goal.

The only NSW player current QLD'ers openly admit they hate seeing on the team sheet.

Panther_Brendo

Juniors
Luke Lewis is such a great player and a born leader. He represents the club very well and does nothing wrong both on and off the field.

That tackle in the second State of Origin sums up his career very well.

Fibroman

First Grade
Lewie and Gowie and my 2 favourite players of all time. Lewie had to be captain. Just think, we nearly let him go to Souths a few years ago.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would have been happy to see Luke NSW captain last year. That ship sailed, Gallen grabbed with both hands..Like gal, Luke will be a certainty for NSW, vc I say. Penrith after all is in NSW, and Luke bleeds for Pennies, NSW, AUS. Quality person.

Doomednow

Bench
Just want to bump this for another great origin performance. Please bring that form back to club games. He's an absolute animal when he's fired up.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I honestly think this Origin series cements him in the top 5 most respected NRL players.

age.s

First Grade
He shouldn't be required to throw half field passes. We were woefully disorganized in the halves (the difference between the teams in the end), and Lewis having to improv as playmaker is evidence of that.

Those three tackles where he shot out of marker to get the guy taking the hit up was just phenominal footy. He'd just come on and it was obvious he was itching to get stuck in. Not sure how many non Panthers noticed but just shows how committed the bloke is. He's incredible when fired up.