Luke Lewis asking the Panthers for a release! Wow!

Discussion in 'NRL' started by aads, Jul 9, 2012.

1. BunniesMan

BunniesMan Immortal

This is the equivalent of Cronulla getting rid of Gallen, Wests getting rid of Farah, Brisbane getting rid of Thaiday.

2. Apey

Apey Moderator Staff Member

M2D2 I'm not sure if you were trying to prove me wrong or what (you were criticising Gus before so not sure) but that quote is basically exactly what I was saying, so... yeah.

3. Frailty

Frailty First Grade

How is the idea right? If he isn't playing the game he isn't captain! It works for every other club.

It was a dumb idea from the start, and there is no good way to handle that.

If they wanted him at the club, they would have not granted the release.

4. M2D2

M2D2 Bench

I dont like gus and to say what he said was still wrong. But I was just providing you again with the quote to back up what you said.

5. Fire

Fire First Grade

I feel sorry for all the Penrith fans. I can only imagine how sick I'd feel if Dragons did this to Hornby or Cooper. But Gould and Cleary are not stupid men (they may not be exceptional, but they're far from stupid). I think Penrith will improve over the next two seasons.

6. HankScorpio

HankScorpio Juniors

I feel physically sick. This is worse than Gordon leaving.

7. ek999

ek999 First Grade

How was it the right idea? What purpose did it serve? If it is such a great idea, why was Cameron Smith, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday, Johnathon Thurston, Matt Scott, Robbie Farah not stripped of the captaincy?

It was a dick move by Gould and Cleary and no matter how you try and spin it, it will always be a dick move

8. Blade23

Blade23 Juniors

It was expect at the start of the year for Lewis to have the captaincy, if he wasn?t the shit would have hit the fan.
    I would hardly called being relieved of the captaincy for a few a weeks as a humiliation. He was always promised it back for round 19

9. M2D2

M2D2 Bench

I truly have no idea how you think that will improve next season. :lol:

10. Frailty

Frailty First Grade

Then why was he stripped of it when no other captain playing origin was.

I mean Gallen missed more games during the Origin period than the three games the weekend before - yet he is still the captain during this time...

It was a dumb move that could NEVER be justified.

11. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Dear oh dear.

Poor Luke..

And notice how no one bats an eyelid when the club rips up a binding contract...but if a player does it, he is treated like a criminal..dis loyal etc.

Well I say Penrith cannot be trusted to fufill thier obligations on contracts, are disloyal to the core, and hope you enjoy Ivan, you deserve him.

Makes me sick in the guts.

12. Blade23

Blade23 Juniors

I never said it was a great idea, I can see cleary?s reasons for it, at the time over the origin period Lewis would been at the club for just 6 days and played one maybe 2 games. I wouldn?t expect Brisbane or Melbourne to do such a thing like that to Thaiday or Smith, they are too well run.

13. LeagueLegend

LeagueLegend Juniors

It was never promised back to him at all, rather they agreed after how poorly it was handled they would look at whether he would be given it back. Big difference.

14. Frailty

Frailty First Grade

The only thing this does is remind me of Chris Anderson booting Preston Campbell...

We got Kimmorley in return - Penrith are getting no one.

15. Panfas

Panfas Juniors

How the f**k is he being treated like a criminal? Listen to the f**king interview, he has requested a release on his own terms because he wants a change. What is Penrith to do, decline the request and demand he plays? I would rather Luke play elsewhere and be happy then force him to play for us to just retire anyway mid-contract. FMD

16. Fire

Fire First Grade

That's fair enough, it's a free country. I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on why they will not improve.

17. Frailty

Frailty First Grade

They can, and Gould has done it before...

Gordon wanted out of the club instantly - Gould said no.

18. Marshall_magic

Marshall_magic Coach

Shocker of the year for sure. I still don't believe it. I just feel sorry for all the Panthers fans. I can't imagine how gutted they would feel right now.

19. Pierced Soul

Pierced Soul First Grade

hard part for us is we're all just speculating. On face value i see no reason why you'd release the captain who's a great player, current test and origin player and still has another good 4 years plus ahead of him.

we dont know what he's like behind the scenes, whether he's a disruptive influence etc. the other thing speculated by someone at work was whether the panthers have someone they think can come up and take his place. at the start of the year no one had heard of adam reynolds except souths insiders, but he's had a better half season than all of sandows combined seasons in first grade.

$bw or folau?

20. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

I was refering to others who have walked out on a club.

Clearly this is the club walking out on Luke. But it us the club, so people accept that.

f**king one way streets are cool for league fans.