What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis Reported To Leave... Again

Panther67

Juniors
There is lots of talk that today, Luke Lewis' manager will meet with Phil Gould to discuss a release from his contract. Although, a source a few weeks ago stated Lewis was unaware of where this news came from. He is supposed to be linked with Wests, Parramatta and Canterbury, but could they even afford Lewis under their cap? I honestly can't see Lewis moving, but I wouldn't be surprised at all. Thoughts or news, guys?

Well it's been confirmed , he's leaving.

Now the most important thing , we need to find out why he was unhappy and wanted out.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Really this is getting bad....Always thought LL would stay with the club forever and then have a role to play in any capacity he wanted after retirement from football.

BSB said he's going to Manly...They will just use him up and discard him when he's done.
Sort of like Fittler begging for any job he can get.

Some one tell him he's got a job for life at the club....We cant let him go.

age.s

First Grade
Some one tell him he's got a job for life at the club....We cant let him go.

Far too late for that by the sounds of it.

This is surreal. I can't believe this is happening.

I find it really f**king hard to believe this is all a necessary part of changing the culture at the club. Luke is a club legend. Bleeds black. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would throw his toys out of the cot without some provocation that went beyond reasonable.

Culture change doesn't mean scorching the earth then salting it behind you.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dunno. Lewis is a very highly respected, high quality, hard working, passionate player that every club would build a magnificent culture around.

This imo, is a f**k up by Cleary more than anything else. He's a player that just can't be replaced by anybody, like Sandor Earl.

age.s

First Grade
No but that can be a matter of perspective. What Gould and Cleary view as completely reasonable Lewis may not.

So who's right? At the end of the day this is about having the best possible team playing for Penrith and we've just lost a Australian backrower at the absolute peak of his powers. A bloke who bleeds for the club, club captain, has never been anything but a positive influence and spoken of the club in glowing terms only. If you can't get a guy like that onside with culture change then you're doing it the wrong way.

If this is a management decision to free money for Thurston than fair enough. Doesn't look that way at the moment though. They've just pushed the bloke away from the club without a plan B.

age.s

First Grade
I dunno. Lewis is a very highly respected, high quality, hard working, passionate player that every club would build a magnificent culture around.

This imo, is a f**k up by Cleary more than anything else. He's a player that just can't be replaced by anybody, like Sandor Earl.

Most likely both Gus and Cleary, but this is absolutely spot on.

Copperhead

Juniors
Whether this is a good decision or not we won't know for a few years. We're not privy to what managent have planned. But what we do know is this club has been shit for the last 8 years, and Lewis has had no effect on improving it. If they want to start from scratch to build a new (better) culture in the club, I'll support their decisions.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Just heard that its definite.....How much lower can we go?

I hope LL likes making sandwiches for a living after football....He just cut himself off at Panthers.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whether this is a good decision or not we won't know for a few years. We're not privy to what managent have planned. But what we do know is this club has been shit for the last 8 years, and Lewis has had no effect on improving it. If they want to start from scratch to build a new (better) culture in the club, I'll support their decisions.
Tell me, what teams have successfully built a successful team around a winger/second rower?

You build successful teams around a strong spine.

Look at the Sharks. Had Gallen and Bird busting their arses for years and hardly set the world on fire. They get a decent spine and all of a sudden, they're one of the best teams in the comp.

Penrith have failed to do anything about covering the loss of Gower. Graham and Wallace should be the Panthers halves this year.

Instead over the past 1-2 seasons you've had two players bickering over the fullback gig, average halves and essentially a stand in hooker.

It doesn't matter how hard Lewis works, he can't do everything. He's been getting no support by management, as they have failed to provide the team with the type of quality players in vital positions that are required to build a successful team.

Copperhead

Juniors
Tell me, what teams have successfully built a successful team around a winger/second rower?

You build successful teams around a strong spine.

Look at the Sharks. Had Gallen and Bird busting their arses for years and hardly set the world on fire. They get a decent spine and all of a sudden, they're one of the best teams in the comp.

Penrith have failed to do anything about covering the loss of Gower. Graham and Wallace should be the Panthers halves this year.

Instead over the past 1-2 seasons you've had two players bickering over the fullback gig, average halves and essentially a stand in hooker.

It doesn't matter how hard Lewis works, he can't do everything. He's been getting no support by management, as they have failed to provide the team with the type of quality players in vital positions that are required to build a successful team.

That's all correct. We have too much of our cap tied up in the wrong positions. Two props, a lock, a centre. Gould and Cleary had nothing to do with that, or the loss of Graham and Wallace.

soc123_au

Staff member
Hopefully Walsh is the next captain. The (c) next to your name has been the kiss of death for a few years now.

Kilkenny

Coach
My gut feeling is McKendry is next.

Well if he is on anywhere near the reputed $400k I hope so.

A realistic contract for Sam would have been $250 - $300K given he is an international, although this season he has very very ordinary.

Many seem to highly critical of the Gould / Cleary role in our mess and the releasing of Lewis. The more significant role was surely fulfilled by Leary / Elliot. Only now are we fully realising the mess inherited by Gould / Cleary.

age.s

First Grade
How long are we going to blame Elliott and Leary before requiring answers of our current administration?

I can understand shitty onfield performances, I can understand having to shed someone like Gordon who needed a major upgrade, I can understand a lot of the stuff that's happened in the past 15 months, but this absolutely reeks of something very wrong with our current management.

Losing a bloke like Luke just shouldnt happen with 2 years left on his contract.

Latest posts