What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lunges

IFR33K

Coach
Looking at adding lunges to my leg work out, but not sure if it is worthwhile.

I only notice the females doing them, is it a popular work out amongst males.

Is it a good exercise for quads????? Help required and thanks in advance.

dogslife

Coach
They're a good exercise if done correctly, good for quads, hamstrings, and I've found they're particularly good for your glutes. I don't do them often, I have a pretty regimented leg routine, but I occasionally throw a couple of sets in at the end of a leg workout if I've got a bit of gas in the tank. Don't ever be worried about stigmas being attached to the exercises you do. Lunges are popular among girls, probably because as I said they're good for the glutes, but I've seen even the biggest guys doing them. The only people that think lunges are for girls are the ones who routinely wear trackies to the gym to hide their extreme lack of leg muscles

GuardDog

Juniors
Very good exercise IFR33K a lot of people dont do them cos its not easy and it burns.I would put it in the same basket as burpees. I have lunges in my circuit routine.This will be good for your quads,core and will give u an @rse women love to squeeze :)

adamkungl

Immortal
Lunges are imo harder than squats..at least at the weights im doing for each of them.
I have a love hate relationship...

IFR33K

Coach
So what technique do you recommend. Weights alongside my body in each hand or bar across my shoulders.

GuardDog

Juniors
IMHO weights alongside the is easier to keep the upper body square on to the front if that makes sense.The technique with the bar across the shoulders tends to twist a the shoulder a bit towards the side with the leg forward.When I do them I just use my 91-94kg bodyweight , have my hands on hips and concentrate on form doing 10-20 reps per side.Hope this helps.

dogslife

Coach
Barbell across the shoulders for me. I find using DB's there is a tendency to swing them during the movement, which creates momentum and places more stress on the lower back than the legs. And grip with heavier weights becomes an issue for me aswell

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
If you have pretty ordinary knees like me reverse lunges are one of the best exercises to do. Very little stress on the joints but work the sh!t out of your upper legs.

adamkungl

Immortal
I use DBs, hold them up against the front of my shoulder.
So it gives your arms a bit of a workout as well as the weight being higher forcing you to balance your core.