What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's 26 Favourite Matches

Misanthrope

Staff member
After receiving a bunch of votes and sitting on them for a good 3-4 months, I've finally pulled me thumb out and compiled the list.

As I am still on limited internet, I am unable to source YouTube clips for you. However, if you wish to post the link to the clip - I will update the original post to include it. You can also PM it to me.

-----

Those That Missed The Cut

0.5 points
Samoa Joe v CM Punk - Joe v Punk II, 2004
Mike Awesome v Masato Tanaka - ECW Heatwave, 1998
Goldberg v Diamond Dallas Page - Halloween Havoc, 1998
The Rock v Triple H - Judgement Day, 2000
CM Punk v Daniel Bryan - Over the Limit, 2012
British Bulldog v Owen Hart - Raw, 1997
Brock Lesnar v Kurt Angle - Wrestlemania 19, 2003
The Rock v Hulk Hogan - Wrestlemania 18, 2002
Owen Hart v Bret Hart - Wrestlemania X, 1994
World War 3 - World War 3, 1996
Triple H v Chris Jericho v Kevin Nash v Goldberg v Randy Orton v Shawn Michaels - Summerslam, 2003

1 point
Team Hell No & Ryback v The Shield - TLC, 2012
War Games - War Games, 1992
Rey Mysterio v Kurt Angle - Summerslam, 2002
Ric Flair v Ricky Steamboat - Chi-Town Rumble, 1989
Roddy Piper v Hulk Hogan - Halloween Havoc, 1997
Brock Lesnar v CM Punk - Summerslam, 2013

2 points
Kurt Angle v The Rock v Steve Austin v Rikishi v Undertaker v Triple H - Armageddon, 2000
The Hardy Boyz v The Dudley Boyz - Royal Rumble, 2000
Shawn Michaels v Triple H - Summerslam, 2002
Brock Lesnar v Kurt Angle - Smackdown, 2003
The Steiners v The Outsiders - Souled Out, 1997
The Shield v The Wyatts - Elimination Chamber, 2014

3 points
Elimination Chamber - Survivor Series, 2002
Shawn Michaels v Bret Hart - Summerslam, 1997
Royal Rumble - Royal Rumble, 1992
Stone Cold v Triple H - No Way Out, 2001

4 points
Archibald Peck v Chuck Taylor - It's How You Play the Game, 2012
Undertaker v The Rock v Kurt Angle - Vengeance, 2002
Edge v Mick Foley - Wrestlemania 22, 2006
Daniel Bryan v Batista v Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 30, 2014

5 points
Scott Parker, Shane Matthews & Takoyakida v Colt Cabana, Swamp Monster, & Darkness Crabtree - King of Trios, 2012
Eddie Guerrero & Art Barr v Octagon & El Hijo Del Santa - When Worlds Collide
Rob Van Dam v Chris Jericho - King of the Ring, 2002
Randy Savage v Diamond Dallas Page - Spring Stampede, 1997
Razor Ramon v Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania X, 1995
Do Fixer v Blood Generation - Supercard of Honor, 2006
Mick Foley v Randy Orton - Backlash, 2004

10 points
Undertaker v Brock Lesnar - Wrestlemania 30, 2014
Hulk Hogan v Andre the Giant - Wrestlemania 3, 1987
Kevin Steen v El Generico - Final Battle, 2012
Shawn Michaels v Bret Hart - Wrestlemania 12, 1996
Undertaker v Triple H - Wrestlemania 27, 2011
Four Horseman v NWO - War Games, 1997

14 points - 2 voters
Shaun Michaels v Triple H v Chris Benoit - Wrestlemania 20, 2004

15 points
Shelton Benjamin v Shawn Michaels - Raw, 2005
Hardy Boyz v Dudley Boyz v Edge & Christian - Summerslam, 2000
Rey Mysterio v Psicosis - November 2 Remember
Bret Hart v Chris Benoit - Nitro, 1999
World War 3 - World War 3, 1997

-----------

Feel free to discuss, criticise, or complain. Top 25 to come.

Last edited:

afinalsin666

First Grade
Austin Triple H No Way Out is one of the most underrated matches ever.

Kind of surprised that Foley Orton didn't make it, as it's one of Foley's best matches.

DB

First Grade
A few of mine missed out.

Shelton Benjamin vs HBK
The two CHikara ones
and Brock vs Taker

That Owen/Bulldog match for the European title was one of my favourites for a very long time.

Only one of my matches out, the Dragon Gate 6 Man from ROH, which Im sure most people will dig if they gave it a gander.

Also, a quick note, Bret Hart fought the Undertaker at Summerslam 97, not Michaels. HBK was the referee.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Mick Foley v Randy Orton (Backlash 2004)
Daniel Bryan v Batista v Randy Orton (Wrestlemania 30)
Stone Cold v Triple H (No Way Out 2001)
The Shield v The Wyatts (Elimination Chamber 2014)
Lesnar v Punk (Summerslam 2013)

Half of mine didn't make the cut. Would have dropped one for Nakamura v Ibushii after WK9.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Since I didn't get to vote beforehand ( :lol: ) I've just put my top five in. As all five were already in the top 25, it didn't necessitate any major changes.

3. Edge & Christian vs Hardy Boyz vs Dudley Boyz (Summerslam 2000)
5. Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels (WM10)
6. Owen Hart vs Bret Hart (WM10)
8. Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant (WM3)

Mine that missed the cut.

#3 was an amazing match, I'm definitely a guy who likes spots and this was filled with them. I gave #5 credit for being the original ladder match, I remember being amazed at the time. #6 was a great technical match with so much back and forth with an outcome I couldn't believe at the time. I'm no Hogan fan, even when I was a kid, but #8 was one where I was out of my seat for Hogan. The way the story was told was so good. Hogan overcoming insurmountable odds to win. Hogan's best match imo.

Valheru

Coach
I forgot to vote but am interested to see the list. Who voted for Piper/Hogan at havoc 97, that was a truly horrific match.

Hoggmaster

Juniors
Hmmm I forgot who I voted for it was so long ago. Dont remember voting michaels vs bret at anything other than WM12.

Steamboat Flair was def one of mine.

Misanthrope

Staff member
#26 - Steve Austin v The Rock @ Wrestlemania 17

the-rock-stone-cold-steve-austin-514.jpg

Votes: 16.5 points. 3 votes from Hoggmaster, RedV, and Big Pete.

Pitting the two biggest stars of the Attitude era, this one had a side story involving Steve Austin's real life wife, Debra being forced to serve as Rock's valet.

When these two guys got into it, you really didn't need much of a plot. They were athletes at the peak of their games, and the crowd ate up each and every thing they put out there.

View the Match

=#25 - Shawn Michaels v Undertaker @ Wrestlemania 25

wm.jpg.pagespeed.ce.17qGPv6FQp.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from Eddie Lab.

It didn't have as much on the line as their match the next year at Wrestlemania 26, but Shawn Michaels and Undertaker stole the show with their thirty minute marathon in 2009. Showing that two older guys could well and truly go, these guys pulled out all the stops and created an epic they weren't able to repeat a year later when Michaels' career was on the line.

View the match (Part One)
View the match (Part Two)

=#25 - Edge v Chris Jericho v Christian v Shelton Benjamin v Chris Benoit v Kane - Money in the Bank @ Wrestlemania 21

300_62207.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from DB

The original and (at least one would say) the best, the ladder match that would revolutionise wrestling and boost the careers of many superstars over the year featured some of the best Canadians to ever grace the ring, an athletically gifted Shelton Benjamin, and the vacuum of fun that is Kane.

A hardcore, high-flying epic that would become a stalwart of Wrestlemania before getting its own PPV, the first match took over the mantle that TLC had lost when the three way feud that launched it lost its lustre.

View the match (Party Two)

=#25 - The Hardy Boyz v The Dudley Boyz v Edge & Christian - Ladder Match @ Wrestlemania 16

WM2000-TLC.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from pennywisealfie

The precursor to the wildly successful and popular string of TLC matches the three teams would begin engaging in at Summerslam of the same year, their ladder match at Wrestlemania 2000 was a show-stealer and marked a watermark for modern tag team wrestling.

View the match (Part Two)

=#25 - Shawn Michaels v Mankind @ Mind Games, 1996

1hbkfoley_display_image.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from Big Pete.

Going back a while now, we go to WWF In Your House 10, where Mankind and Shawn Michaels battled it out (not for the first or last time) for the WWF Championship. A bit of a sleeper on a throwaway card, Mick Foley regards this as one of the best matches he ever worked.

It was HBK's first major feud after winning his first WWF Title, while Mankind was hot off his debut feud win over Undertaker. It's a masterpiece of psychology and an epic to boot.

View the match

Last edited: