What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's 26 Favourite Matches

Jono Russell

Bench
How good was Mankind as a character. I remember before foxtel and fast internet having to go hire the latest WWF videos from video ezy. Mankind would always freak me out. Loved when he sat in the corner pulling his hair out.

Looking back at the HBK vs Mankind match now though it really deserved a finish other then DQ.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cool your jets, kid. I only got your clips from YouTube last night, and I'm a tad busy getting my life packed into one dorm sized room :p

Misanthrope

Staff member
What am I voting for?

Who you want eliminated.

-------

=#25 - Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit v Rey Mysterio & Edge - No Mercy, 2002

dcsdj4.png

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from RedVDave

The culmination of a tag team tournament to crown the inaugural WWE Tag Team Champions, this classic tag match featured four of the famous Smackdown Six (the others being Chavo & Eddie Guerrero) putting on an absolutely classic tag team match that lasted over twenty minutes and stole the show.

In what was arguably the last great era in modern pro wrestling, this was one of many highlights from a work-rate perspective.

View the Match

-------------

=#25 - Randy Savage v Ric Flair - Wrestlemania 8

top-20-matches-in-wrestlemania-history-20070323040813420-000.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from Hoggmaster.

From a semi modern great to one of the all time classics, this bout pitted two of the best men of their era against one another at a time when they were both still young enough to really go.

Considered one of the all time great Wrestlemania title matches, the bout saw Flair (who had won the title in the 1992 Royal Rumble) and Savage go head to head not only for the gold, but due to Flair's allegations of having had a past relationship with Ms. Elizabeth.

Sometimes criticised for its abrupt ending, this one is nonetheless one of the best matches you'll see when it comes to in ring psychology.

View the match

------

=#25 - Sting v Hollywood Hulk Hogan - Starrcade 1997

stinger.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from Martin Bella.

A controversial entry since the match is widely considered a steaming pile of shit. The culmination of the masterfully built up one year feud between Sting and the NWO's Hollywood Hulk Hogan should have been a watershed match, and I guess it was. It marked one of many bone-headed booking decisions that would ultimately kill WCW.

After a short brawl that saw Sting not really get in a great deal of offense, Hogan pinned Sting clean only to have a debuting Bret Hart (red hot after the Montreal Screwjob) come out and accuse Nick Patrick of a fast count that never happened.

Ultimately, Sting won and 'defeated' the big bad NWO - but the match managed to make both him and Hart look stupid while keeping Hogan relatively protected. f**k this match.

View the match (Part One)
View the match (Part Two)

------------

World War 3 - World War 3, 1998

WorldWar3-1998logo.jpg

Votes: 30 points. 1 second place vote from Shaun Hewitt.

It surprises me that the often cluttered and clunky World War III makes an appearance yet a nary a Royal Rumble is in sight. Still, to each their own.

The final World War 3 (a sixty man, three ring battle royal) to take place saw Kevin Nash defeat 59 other men in a match lasting just over twenty minutes and featuring a motley collection of indy stars, aging legends, and relative no-names.

I'm not sure what Shaun sees in this, so I'll let him sing its praises.

View the match (Part One)
View the Match (Part Two)

-----------

#17 - Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat - Wrestlemania 3

982267_1332526533008_full.jpg

Votes: 30 points from 3 voters.

From two matches that exemplify some of the worst of WCW's excesses to a good, old fashioned classic between two of the all-time greats. Savage and Steamboat were pioneers ahead of their time and absolutely tore the house down in their bout for the Intercontinental Title when the damned thing meant something.

Just go watch it, you Philistines.

View the match

Hoggmaster

Juniors
I liked the Flair/Savage ending. It kept Flair looking strong and was in keeping with the story of the match. So often you see a guy like Cena being worked on for 15 mins then he just explodes, ignores the injuries he's supposed to have sustained, and murders the guy he's in with.
Savage's leg had been worked on and he could barely stand, if he then climbed the turnbuckle and jumped off it, the whole 20 mins of abuse on his leg would be for nought.
Also I think it gave the quick roll up credibility. If you see the Heavyweight champ beaten with it at the biggest show of the year, then whenever its used in future matches it adds peril as you think the match could end.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Sorry, was in Dubai last week and this week will be a bit hectic while I get myself reacquainted with Uni. Expect an update this weekend.

Latest posts