What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LWOS Legend - Front Row version.

bender

Juniors
Just thought i might rehash this old LWOS post for a run over here at the Front Row, for something to do.

Quizzes and IQ tests seem to be the topic of the month at the moment. So, i have set a quiz of 30 basic questions from 30 different sports. Questions are not hard for fans of the various sports but to get every question correct would (to me at least) seem to be a phenomenal effort. The rules are simple, each person get one chance at answering questions and no internet research is allowed (the honour system prevails) The first person to answer every question correctly or the person with the highest number of correct answers will be deemed the LWOS legend. Answers will be posted in about a week or so.

1. Rugby League

Which position did Wally Lewis make his senior representative debut for Queensland at?

2. Boxing

Name the first World Heavyweight champion to retire as undefeated champion.

3. Rugby Union

Who was the Captain of Australias first ever World Cup winning Rugby Union side.

4. Soccer

Name the only side ever to go through a World Cup campain without having lost an official World Cup game.

5. Athletics

Name the ten events in the Decathlon?

6. Swimming

Who holds the world record for most number of Swimming Gold Medals at a single Olympic games event.

7. Basketball

Name the first country other than the USA to win a Mens Gold Medal at the Olympic Games.?

8. Baseball

How many players take the field in a baseball game.

9. Motor Racing

Who holds the World record for most number of Grand Prix pole positions

10. Professional Wrestling

Which country did the legendary Mr X hail from?

11. Cycling

Who was the first American to win the tour de France?

12. Diving

Eplain why a dive which scores 8 may not score as many points as a dive which scores 10.

13. Sailing

Name the American skipper who became known as the first American ever to lose the America's Cup.

14. Cricket

During World Series Cricket there was a TV program which sought to find the Worlds Fastest bowler, who won this competition.

15. Gymnastics

Who was the first person ever to record a perfect 10 score

16. Grid Iron

Which team made the 'No Huddle Offence' famous in the nineties?

17. Aussie Rules

Name the first two non victorian teams to enter the VFL/AFL competition and what two cities were they based in?

18. Horse Racing

Who was the first horse from Australia or New Zealand ever to win the Japan Cup

19. Netball

Which country won this years Commonwealth games Gold medal?

20. Hockey

Which two countries played in the final of the Seoul Olympics Womens Hockey tournament

21. Ice Hockey

How many periods are in a game of ice Hockey?

22. Tennis

Who was the last player to win a Grand Slam?

23. Squash

What was the first name of the two former World squash champions whose last name were Khan, and what country did they come from.

24. Volleyball

How many players in a volleyball team?

25. Table Tennis

What other name is this sport commonly known as in many countries.

26. Badminton

What do you call the thing badmington players hit over the net during a game.

27. Rowing

What is the most number of people who could sit in a boat during an official olympics boat rowing race?

28. Ironman Racing

Who was the first Australian Ironman champion to leave the sport in pursuit of an Olympic games Medal?

29. Ten Pin Bowling

What is the highest ten pin Bowling score ever scored in a game?

30. Snooker

How many points is the Green ball worth?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
My answers:
1. Five -eighth
3. Nick Farr-Jones
4. I'll take a guess, West Germany (1974)
5. Mark Spitz
7. Yugoslavia
14. Jeff Thompson
17. Swans (Sydney), West Coast Eagles (perth)
19. Australia
20. Australia and South Korea
22. Roger Federer

Dont know the rest :(

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a rough idea on about a quarter of these and the rest I think I've got right

1-Lock
2-Rocky Marciano
3-Michael Lynagh was stand-in for Nick Farr-Jones
4-Argentina
5-100m, 400m, 1500m, 110m Hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, Shot Put, Discus, Javelin, Pole Vault.
6-Mark Spitz
7-Yugoslavia
8-10
9-Nigel Mansell
10-me
11-Lance Armstrong
12-The Degree of difficulty on the dive that gets 8 may be higher than the dive that gets 10.
13-me again
14-Jeff Thompson
15-Nadia Comaneci
16-Dallas
17-Brisbane Bears and West Coast Eagles based in Brisbane and Perth respectively.
18-Might And Power
19-Australia
20-Australia beat South Korea
21-4
22-Andre Agassi
23-Jansher Khan and Jahangir Khan from Pakistan
24-7
25-Ping Pong
26-Shuttlecock
27-4
28-Grant Kenny
29-Me
30-4.

There's 3 I didn't know-and had no idea on, so I decided that I was the answer! How'd I go?

Parra_Eels

Bench
well i'm pretty sure the soccer one is australia in '97 when we didn't lose a match in the campaign yet we still didn't go through. also nick-farr jones, five eighth, andy roddick, 9 in a rowing boat, ping-pong, 6 for volleyball, shuttlecock in badminton, 300 for tenpin bowls, 3 periods in ice hockey, new zealand won comm games netball, the swans and west coast, soviet union in basketball, mark spitz,
thats all i can offer

Bomber

Bench
I know nothing about a lot of sports but it doesn't hurt to try.

1. Lock
2. Rocky
3. Nick Farr-Jones
4. If you mean the finals (as in 1998, 2002, 2006) - Scotland in 1954
6. If you mean a single event over several Olympics - Dawn Fraser
7. Soviet Union
8. Nine
9. Schumacher (?)
10. Burkina Faso
11. Weird Al Yankovic
12. Splash!
13. Dennis Conner
14. Thommo
15. Nadia Comaneci
16. Dallas (?)
17. Brisbane (based on GC) and West Coast (Perth). Sydney were relocated and didn't 'enter' the AFL as such.
18. Lets Elope
19. Australia
20. Australia and West Germany
21. Three
22. Boris Becker
23. Dunno the names, they were from Pakistan though
24. Nine
25. Ping Pong
26. Shuttlecock
27. Eight
28. Trevor Hendy
29. 300
30. Five

bender

Juniors
Bomber said:
I know nothing about a lot of sports but it doesn't hurt to try.

1. Lock
2. Rocky
3. Nick Farr-Jones
4. If you mean the finals (as in 1998, 2002, 2006) - Scotland in 1954
6. If you mean a single event over several Olympics - Dawn Fraser
7. Soviet Union
8. Nine
9. Schumacher (?)
10. Burkina Faso
11. Weird Al Yankovic
12. Splash!
13. Dennis Conner
14. Thommo
15. Nadia Comaneci
16. Dallas (?)
17. Brisbane (based on GC) and West Coast (Perth). Sydney were relocated and didn't 'enter' the AFL as such.
18. Lets Elope
19. Australia
20. Australia and West Germany
21. Three
22. Boris Becker
23. Dunno the names, they were from Pakistan though
24. Nine
25. Ping Pong
26. Shuttlecock
27. Eight
28. Trevor Hendy
29. 300
30. Five

Bomber, if i am not mistaken, you were one of the orignial entrants 12 months ago on LWOS. Putting some pressure on yourself here, I wonder if your knowledge has eroded after 12 months? :D

Kurt Angle

First Grade
1. Lock
2. Rocky Marciano
3. Nick Farr-Jones
5. 100m, High Jump, Long Jump, Pole Vault, Discus, Javelin
6. Marc Spitz
7. Russia in 1972
8. 9
9. Alain Prost ?
11. Greg LeMond in 1986 (hehe, had this last night in a trivia quiz)
12. Diving

Eplain why a dive which scores 8 may not score as many points as a dive which scores 10.

13. Dennis Connor
14. Jeff Thompson
15. Nadia Comenci
17. Sydney Swans(NSW) and West Coast Eagles(WA)
20. Australia and South Korea
21. 3
23. Jahinger and ?? (pakistan)
24. 6
25. Ping Pong ??
26. Shuttle-Cock
27. 8
28. Grant Kenny
29. 300
30. 3

bender

Juniors
Finally, the answers:
1. Rugby League
Which position did Wally Lewis make his senior representative debut for Queensland at?
Although Wally Lewis is renowned as a 5/8 and played his first state of origin game at lock, his debut position for Queensland was actually at halfback.
2. Boxing
Name the first World Heavyweight champion to retire as undefeated champion.
Rocky Marciano is widely regarded as the only man to have retired as undefeated World Champion. This is not actually correct. James J Jeffries was actually the first man to retire as undefeated World Champion. However, his record is tainted because he attempted a comeback, approximately 6 years later and lost to World champion Jack Johnson.
3. Rugby Union
Who was the Captain of Australias first ever World Cup winning Rugby Union side.
Nick Farr Jones
4. Soccer
Name the only side ever to go through a World Cup campain without having lost an official World Cup game.
This is actually a misprint. It should have read "without actually winning the World Cup Tournament". The answer was Australia. However, the following sides could have been answered correctly in the way the tournament was written.
Australia
Uruguay
Italy
Brazil
England
West Germany
France

5. Athletics
Name the ten events in the Decathlon.
This was a lot harder than I thought.
Day 1
100m, Long Jump, Shot put, High Jump, 400m,
110 hurdles, discus, Pole Vault, Javelin, 1500m
6. Swimming
Who holds the world record for most number of Swimming Gold Medals at a single Olympic games event.
Mark Spitz
7. Basketball
Name the first country other than the USA to win a Mens Gold Medal at the Olympic Games.?
Russia was the first side to defeat the USA
8. Baseball
How many players take the field in a baseball game.
9 players actually take the field in a baseball game. As was correctly pointed out by some, the catcher does stand outside the field. Although this may be taking things too far because technically all of the batting side will also take the field so the answer could be 18 or 20 if you consider that it is likely that the catcher will walk onto the field at one point. 10 players was the intended answer.
9. Motor Racing
Who holds the World record for most number of Grand Prix pole positions
Ayrton Senna,
10. Professional Wrestling
Which country did the legendary Mr X hail from?
I cant believe nobody has heard of MR X. This was a trick question though and in a sense everyone got the question right. MR X was the mystery man in a mask. No one knew where he came from so he was billed like many others as being from "Parts Unknown". Therefore, those who answered no idea were in fact correct.
11. Cycling
Who was the first American to win the tour de France?
Greg Lemond
12. Diving
Explain why a dive which scores 8 may not score as many points as a dive which scores 10.
The correct answer was in fact because of the degree of difficulty is multiplied by the average score. However, as some people correctly pointed out, the top and bottom judges scores are eliminated from calculations so therefore there are actually two different correct answers.
13. Sailing
Name the American skipper who became known as the first American ever to lose the America's Cup.
Dennis Conner
14. Cricket
During World Series Cricket there was a TV program which sought to find the Worlds Fastest bowler, who won this competition.
Jeff Thomson
15. Gymnastics
Who was the first person ever to record a perfect 10 score
Nadia Comaneci
16. Grid Iron
Which team made the 'No Huddle Offence' famous in the nineties?
Buffalo Bills

17. Aussie Rules
Name the first two non victorian teams to enter the VFL/AFL competition and what two cities were they based in?
Sydney Swans, Brisbane Bears based in Sydney and Gold Coast
The Sydney Swans were originally South Melbourne so do not count. West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears were actually the first two non victorian sides to enter the comp. However, the trick part of the question is What cities were they based in. West Coast were in Perth and Brisbane were in Gold Coast.
18. Horse Racing
Who was the first horse from Australia or New Zealand ever to win the Japan Cup?
Horlicks. Better Loosen up won the Japan Cup a year after Horlicks.
19. Netball
Which country won this years Commonwealth games Gold medal?
Australia
20. Hockey
Which two countries played in the final of the Seoul Olympics Hockey tournament
Australia and South Korea
21. Ice Hockey
How many periods are in a game of ice Hockey?
22. Tennis
Who was the last player to win a Grand Slam?
Steffi Graf was the last person to win a grand slam. Rod laver was the male. A grand slam is the tennis term for winning each of the 4 majors in a single year.
23. Squash
What was the first name of the two former World squash champions whose last name were Khan, and what country did they come from.
Jahingar and Jansher were both from Pakistan
24. Volleyball
How many players in a volleyball team?
25. Table Tennis
What other name is this sport commonly known as in many countries.
Ping Pong
26. Badminton
What do you call the thing badmington players hit over the net during a game.
Shuttlecock
27. Rowing
What is the most number of people who could sit in a boat during an official olympics boat rowing race?
9 , 8 rowers and and the cox
28. Ironman Racing
Who was the first Australian Ironman champion to leave the sport in pursuit of an Olympic games Medal?
Grant Kenny
29. Ten Pin Bowling
What is the highest ten pin Bowling score ever scored in a game?
300, although Pepe may dispute that if his answer was based on his own actual performances.
30. Snooker
How many points is the Green ball worth?
3 points

For the record, noone got near the old record of GavBT

Latest posts