What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge Maguire Sacked

hewi

Bench
On Foxsports they say the peanut is an outside chance to get a coaching job, here’s his philosophy.

McGregor is an outside chance at landing an NRL head coach role, but his structured style could be an ideal fit for the Warriors, Bulldogs or Tigers.

“Increased simplicity; perfect execution. One defence, one offence, one change up depending on opposition. We worked on clarity and consistency to get our mojo. We would practice and prepare everything through extensive repetition,” McGregor said to Zero Tackle on his coaching philosophy with the Dragons.

After I picked myself off the floor and wiped away the tears I realised he is a total narcissist

Walpole

Juniors
On Foxsports they say the peanut is an outside chance to get a coaching job, here’s his philosophy.

McGregor is an outside chance at landing an NRL head coach role, but his structured style could be an ideal fit for the Warriors, Bulldogs or Tigers.

“Increased simplicity; perfect execution. One defence, one offence, one change up depending on opposition. We worked on clarity and consistency to get our mojo. We would practice and prepare everything through extensive repetition,” McGregor said to Zero Tackle on his coaching philosophy with the Dragons.

After I picked myself off the floor and wiped away the tears I realised he is a total narcissist
A gloriously idiotic coaching philosophy, and obviously no room for tries off kicks in that thinking. I don't mind the Tigers, hope they find someone with at least some idea.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The funny thing is . . . over the past fortnight where every coach has been named as a possible for my stupid fkkn WT . . . I don't recall seeing bald Mary's name mentioned. Odd, coz they named every other merkin from the bloke that coaches the u/9 wombats to Toovey.
Because no team (except our mob) is dumb enough to even consider signing McFlop.

the U/9s Wombats coach >>>>> McFlop

SAP58

Juniors

I hear the NRL are so keen to spread the game across the universe they are considering the introduction of Mongolia into the competition in 2026. McGregor's name has been put forward as a possible coach & will be sent over to foster & promote the game.

RedVee_8

Juniors

He doesn’t mention that it is also easy for the other 15 coaches to work out and counter

Dragon David

First Grade
Pretty decent roster at Souths at the time.
There is the difference. The roster. You either are fortunate to have a pretty good one or one that always needs tweaking and produces uncertainties and inconsistencies. Maguire has had this at the Tigers. I think that a coach of the ilk of Cleary, Robinson and even Bennett would have had some indifferent results with the squad the Tigers have had in the period Madge was the coach.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I'm pretty sure they had a decent team and he added a few pieces just like what Bennett did with us. The Tigers are such a basket case that they were shit and after a few years, are still shit.
Yeh, but maybe not as quick or as influential as Bennett‘s tenure, imo R&WT ..I thought Souths could have/should have won it two years before they actually did! Luke Keary made a big difference I thought to them finally winning the comp.

Last edited:

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Always felt Madge was a bit of a one-trick coach. He inherited a pretty good roster at Souths and then drove them relentlessly towards a grand final victory. But whatever he did couldn't be sustained, and their results in the following years were pretty average. From a spectator's point of view, it looked like he flogged the players until they broke or gave up. Keeping Greg Inglis on the field in 2017 when his leg was about to drop off convinced me that this was not a bloke who cared about player development or safety.

I dunno where Wests go from here but Madge definitely wasn't a good fit. He might be the right coach if you want to squeeze that last few percent out of the players you have, but he's not the man to build and develop a squad.

Latest posts