What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

macnaz

Staff member
While ive tried to convince myself to have faith in Maguire i can already see the cracks appearing in his coaching ability . We seen at Souths when the going got tough and his elite playing stocks were bare he was unable to modify coaching and game styles to suit and the rest was history.
Lets look at the year thus far , particularly the last 2 rounds .

Why the f**k are we getting rid of Corey Thompson and playing Robert Jennings instead , if it wasn't clear in 2019 that he is terrible it is even more obvious now! If his concern is about height then pick Kane Bradley who can cover 2nd row as well .

Why select 3 pissweak plodding noneffective forwards( Clarke,Seyfarth & Lawrence) for
the last 2 weeks when its very very obvious power and momentum is whats needed more now than ever . THEN only play one for 16 minutes WTF!! Musgrove was great the opening round plus Even Eisinhuth offers more size ,motor plus the ability to offload IF HE IS ALLOWED .

Why the f**k is Mbye even in the team let alone Captain !! why didnt we ship this loser to the Storm and keep Momirovski ?

Why didnt Brooks take the line on tonight ? seemed to play the total opposite to his normal game .. ?

Why is the only ball BJ has got in the last 2 weeks is 1st receiver hitting it up the ruck and catching a cold in the backline?

I m just at a loss to figure out what he is thinking , dumb coaching as far as im concerned , it was dumb last week and we luckily won but even dumber to not realise it was and repeat it again . :mad:

i could go on :rolleyes:

macnaz

Staff member
The things i mentioned contributed to the result just as much as the players performance .

Maxxn99

Juniors
Not having locked in a fullback after 4 rounds plus 8wks covid is disturbing. One is obviously not a fullback and the other now is being shipped off to our opposition from tonight. Thought our forwards tried hard tonight and our hooker was clearly MOM. Sahfarth and Clarke can’t be paired together again on the bench.
We also need some better leadership on the field, but who and where that comes from IDK.

gordsy

Juniors
Madge is not perfect but that effort Benji put up for Proctors first try was Darius Boyd level weak.
I think we need to gut the place and start again.

Tigerm

First Grade
Madge is not perfect but that effort Benji put up for Proctors first try was Darius Boyd level weak.
I think we need to gut the place and start again.
Both halves were terrible, Benji looked tired from the get go? Not sure if they are getting flogged in the warm up?
I am thinking that Walters gives Benji a 10min break at the 20 & 60 min mark then gives Grant a spell at the 30 & 50 min mark if he needs it.

Exert from his post match presser.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/0b7b7dd103d75e8756193aad265b8c98

“But I'm sick and tired of the ups and downs of the performances. We need to change that. That’s what this club has been, I didn’t want to say that, but it’s the truth. and the truth is we need to fix how we do things when we are performing."

Well, he's been here for a while, so why hasn't he fixed it? Seems to be blaming everyone but himself.

super_coach

First Grade
Iam with tigerm, every year it’s the same, one week good next week terrible. Very good sides win seven games every two months,good sides win three games a month, average sides win two games a month and terrible sides win one game a month. We are in between average and terrible.

For me it all comes down to the spine and outside Grant they were not flash yesterday. Anyway it’s nothing new it happens every year, so sit back and enjoy the odd win and don’t get a ulcer worrying about all the losses

gordsy

Juniors
The problem with our halves is the situation gets worse next year with no benji and some kid playing outside of brooks which will suck just as bad as now. I'd be happy to bin people like Mybe, Lawrence, Nofo, etc and just start again. Put Madden and another decent junior in at halves Grant at hooker, halve Reynolds be our team motivator and steal the bes defensive trainer we can find and a hypnotist to wipe the accepted culture of mediocrity.

The unknown

Juniors
That’s what happens when you get old.

The bloke needs to learn how to play like Cam Smith or step aside.

Unpopular opinion and might make some old bloke in fan base cry but who cares.

Harry Grant should never have been replaced last night. This was confirmed after he came back on 10 mins later

Madge never really seems to have a game plan when we are in the shit, as obvious as it was Benji or Brooks should have been hooked for Walters imo

simmo05

Bench
Madge whinging in the press conference about the club. He is the head coach, fix the merkin of a place then! His constant selection of Jennings is beyond baffling, wtf is the go there?

Front-Rower

First Grade
Harry Grant should never have been replaced last night. This was confirmed after he came back on 10 mins later

Madge never really seems to have a game plan when we are in the shit, as obvious as it was Benji or Brooks should have been hooked for Walters imo

Sorry, I don’t mean play hooker. We tried that last year, which was really, really good but didn’t quite work.

Marshall should be at the stage of his career where he is 2 or 3 plays ahead. It’s why Melbourne were so good. Not because they have the best players, it’s because their best players knew how to set up and made sure their team mates obliged by being in the right positions.

Though we know Marshall isn’t that type of player and we now know Brooks couldn’t organise to save his life.

The unknown

Juniors
Sorry, I don’t mean play hooker. We tried that last year, which was really, really good but didn’t quite work.

Marshall should be at the stage of his career where he is 2 or 3 plays ahead. It’s why Melbourne were so good. Not because they have the best players, it’s because their best players knew how to set up and made sure their team mates obliged by being in the right positions.

Though we know Marshall isn’t that type of player and we now know Brooks couldn’t organise to save his life.

Yeah, nah I agree.

I meant Madge should have had the balls to hook Brooks or Marshall and let Walters fill in. Grant was our best by a country mile in a team of plodders and it seemed wrong for him to come off

super_coach

First Grade
Sheens tried to make Benji into a playmaker about 13 years ago without any success. In 2020 nothing has changed, he plays off the cuff and always has, and that is why he is so inconsistent.

Last night was all about 17 players not being hard and ruthless. Teams like the Storm, even when they have the odd off game, they play to structure and are hard and ruthless.

Get the feeling we will not have to worry about coming 9th again this year

Tiger Ted

Bench
Sheens tried to make Benji into a playmaker about 13 years ago without any success. In 2020 nothing has changed, he plays off the cuff and always has, and that is why he is so inconsistent.

Last night was all about 17 players not being hard and ruthless. Teams like the Storm, even when they have the odd off game, they play to structure and are hard and ruthless.

Get the feeling we will not have to worry about coming 9th again this year
Finishing 9th would b an incredible over -achievement.Dont c how this rudderless rabble can finish higher than 12th.

To add to the dejection is the smartest footy player in the side will b back in Melb next season as they hold the aces re where he plays in ‘21.

Tigerm

First Grade
Finishing 9th would b an incredible over -achievement.Dont c how this rudderless rabble can finish higher than 12th.

To add to the dejection is the smartest footy player in the side will b back in Melb next season as they hold the aces re where he plays in ‘21.
Didn't they have to do something (void current contracts???) to make the swap happen?
I remember we signed Momo for next 2 year after this was done?
But not sure what happened with Grant? The kid can play.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Didn't they have to do something (void current contracts???) to make the swap happen?
I remember we signed Momo for next 2 year after this was done?
But not sure what happened with Grant? The kid can play.
The prodigious hooker is signed with Melb for next season.He has a get out clause if the goat doesn’t retire this season hence its a certainty the goat will put the cue in the rack at the end of this season.

Grant will b the storms hooker for the next decade

WA Tiger

Bench
If you’ve got a reasonable team and a good coach the rebuild should take a week...and then improve from there...Since the Bulls lost their key players and coach in 98 they are still rebuilding..

The important thing is we haven’t resigned Madge yet, and shouldn’t until we can confidently say he’s going to lift us up from 9th position..he hasn’t done that yet...

I had my suspicions about Madge earlier on when 1..He left Marsters playing and kicking last year despite being ineffectual ..2 Jennings wasn’t replaced earlier. 3 It took 5 games to try out AD at fullback ..and when Madge finally did it was halfway through a game.........Also what happened to that link Brookes had with Garner ..the early pass thing We were seeing that every game last year? Now not once..

We don’t need Momo . We need a coach that can make decisions on the run.
Walters at 6 is always an option if Benjis not on. I doubt Madge would have the balls to do that but he has to. All great coaches would.

I just hope Brookes isn’t such a baby he relies on Benji to be on to even look like he knows what he’s doing out there. He gets the ball and thinks there’s a gap way over there I think Ill go for it?

Anyway ...All is not lost. BUT we need the coach to listen to his people when they say “why are u still playing Jennings” And take responsibility for the small things and not delegate some of these decisions...If he is going to delegate we need a leader on the field who isn’t going to worry about upsetting players when those decisions are made...

I can’t forget Jennings with a big smile on his face after messing up that “attempted” try in the corner last week ..first half ..where he cut back right, after the pass from Mbye and then went left for the corner but too late. What leader in the team would let him get away with that..

Last edited:

Latest posts