What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mahe Fonua to left centre

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Here's my reasoning

- Kevin Naiqama is reliable but not a game breaker
- There's some similarity between Nofoaluma, Masters and Fonua and together they could make a real impact running the ball out of our own end
- Corey Thompson is having a significant impact in 2018 and its fair to say Fonua was a better player than him in Super League
- Fonua is better suited to centre as he is always a risk of being out-jumped as a winger
- We need more players who can threaten defences given our attack has been pretty limited so far (though 2 games is not a big sample size)

Anyone agree?

Clifferd

Coach
I’ve pretty much been a fan of this move since our 1st trial seeing how terrible he is under the high ball

We could do with another huge body running at the defensive line

Not sure how his lateral movement would
Be though, which is pretty damn important if you wanna be a good centre

Tiger05

First Grade
I want Fonua in the side. I think he can take a high ball as well. I don't know for sure but I thought he was meant to be good under the high ball in England. Last week he completely stuffed one bomb but it was a terrible attempt. It was like he was trying to prove something. After that he calmed down and was targeted but did well on every kick. Slater dropped a bomb in a similar way to Fonua against us.

I can see the merit in playing him in the centres though however I'd probably put him on the wing. I'm more worried about his lack of speed defensively than his ability to take the high ball.

His kick returns are I think better than Nofo's. I think over the course of a game he really hurts the opposition. He is so hard to put down and he can offload. I'd have him on the left with either Marsters or MWZ.

I think the question is where do you play Thompson. I think both Fonua and Nofo are better offensively than Thompson on the flanks although Thompson is going to be more reliable defensively than both of them.

We need points and we need to hurt the opposition. Fonua and Nofo can do that.

super_coach

First Grade
For me its Milne, big tall and athletic and quite aggressive. Of course thats if he can make the transition from the right hand side

super_coach

First Grade
He has been pretty ordinary in ISP. There is no way I'd pick him at this point.
Seen both games and 85% of the play has gone the other side. What he has been asked to do he has done ok. When the ball has gone out his side it mainly been cross field kicks to the winger.
Also I think it’s very hard to translate reserve grade form into NRL form. Some blokes just lift as the class get better

Tiger05

First Grade
Seen both games and 85% of the play has gone the other side. What he has been asked to do he has done ok. When the ball has gone out his side it mainly been cross field kicks to the winger.
Also I think it’s very hard to translate reserve grade form into NRL form. Some blokes just lift as the class get better

Maybe but he has done nothing much at all. Fonua has been a gun. I think though IC could move Marsters to the left. He played him there in the trial.

You could end up with something like:-

1. Tui
2. Nofo
3. Milne
4. Marsters
5. Fonua

That would be a powerful backline. It would be hard to stop.

The players missing out though are pretty good as well - Thompson, Kev and MWZ.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I l
Maybe but he has done nothing much at all. Fonua has been a gun. I think though IC could move Marsters to the left. He played him there in the trial.

You could end up with something like:-

1. Tui
2. Nofo
3. Milne
4. Marsters
5. Fonua

That would be a powerful backline. It would be hard to stop.

The players missing out though are pretty good as well - Thompson, Kev and MWZ.
Very good backline in theory but a few of them have deficiencies in their games they need to fix(Nofa’s horrendous reads in defence)or haven’t done enough to cement their position(LoLo @ fullback)Conversely Thompson is the 2nd back in the 1-5 positions u would select after Marsters on form & attitude.

Tiger05

First Grade
I l

Very good backline in theory but a few of them have deficiencies in their games they need to fix(Nofa’s horrendous reads in defence)or haven’t done enough to cement their position(LoLo @ fullback)Conversely Thompson is the 2nd back in the 1-5 positions u would select after Marsters on form & attitude.

I agree that Thompson has proven himself to be basically an automatic selection so far this season. He just doesn't have that power game that the other players listed have.