What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Difference Between Dragons and The Roosters, Raiders.

mickeylane

Bench
It's amazing how the leading teams think completely different from the also-rans when it comes to recruiting...take for instance why Roosters are signing SBW knowing very well he will be underdone to play long minutes.

Roosters sign SBW to give the team extra lift in the dressing room in the last 6 weeks of the comp to ensure potential success and on the other hand, The Dragons sign a reserve grader who was to replace an international to stick in the freezer until the comp finishes even with $300K in the kitty to spend.....

The Raiders lose Bateman and sign CHN ...

Amazing!!

gitano

Juniors
It's amazing how the leading teams think completely different from the also-rans when it comes to recruiting...take for instance why Roosters are signing SBW knowing very well he will be underdone to play long minutes.

Roosters sign SBW to give the team extra lift in the dressing room in the last 6 weeks of the comp to ensure potential success and on the other hand, The Dragons sign a reserve grader who was to replace an international to stick in the freezer until the comp finishes even with $300K in the kitty to spend.....

Amazing!!

I've always respected Graham, but saying we lost an international isn't really telling the story. He had no real impact on games for a while, was sad to see him be so easily handled towards the end.

In saying that, our recruitment seems to have no strategy. Nor does our selection each week.

For mine, it reflects our playing style. Too scared to lose, so just be conservative and lose anyway.

We are two buys away from having a genuine top 8 side. A skilled backrower and a prop with some heart. Give Blacker a game, see if he can solve a part of that. I don't see Lawrie as an answer to either moving forward.

mickeylane

Bench
I've always respected Graham, but saying we lost an international isn't really telling the story. He had no real impact on games for a while, was sad to see him be so easily handled towards the end.

In saying that, our recruitment seems to have no strategy. Nor does our selection each week.

For mine, it reflects our playing style. Too scared to lose, so just be conservative and lose anyway.

We are two buys away from having a genuine top 8 side. A skilled backrower and a prop with some heart. Give Blacker a game, see if he can solve a part of that. I don't see Lawrie as an answer to either moving forward.
The fact is Graham was on $550K per season and we replace him w a $150K a season player at best...btw the words Planning and Dragons dont go..

George Sancti

Juniors

Amazing!!

The point you make Mickey is valid. The successful teams recruit one or two top shelf players a year and generally pick up several young up and coming players who may develop into first graders over a season. I recall Ken Arthurson stating that he would prefer to buy one $100,000 player (1980s dollars) as opposed to two $50,000 players.

The Dragons’ approach is generally to buy two or three $50,000 players and when a senior player is attainable, they appear to panic buy such was the case with Corey Norman.

Gareth67

First Grade
How is it that the Roosters get help to snare SBW?

See this -
Peter V’landys vows NRL will help Roosters land Sonny Bill Williams ‘any way we can’
ROOSTERS
How about you help the Dragons out Peter V'landys. The Roosters do not need your help as Uncle Nick will do his trick.

Absolutely amazing ! The poor sods have been lingering at the bottom of the competition ladder now for - for bluudy donkey years . Can’t blame the head of the NRL to ensure that he moves heaven and earth to make life just that little bit easier for them .

Always remember gents , there’s nothing like an equal playing field for all clubs , after all that’s only fair - isn’t it ? :thinking:

blacksafake

First Grade
Absolutely amazing ! The poor sods have been lingering at the bottom of the competition ladder now for - for bluudy donkey years . Can’t blame the head of the NRL to ensure that he moves heaven and earth to make life just that little bit easier for them .

Always remember gents , there’s nothing like an equal playing field for all clubs , after all that’s only fair - isn’t it ? :thinking:
My heart bleeds for them :rolling_eyes:

Dragon David

First Grade

Is V'landys wanting the Roosters to win three in a row? Is that it? Why does he openly say this. He might as well let the Roosters sign the best players to win four in a row.

George Sancti

Juniors

I can fully understand the emotion towards the NRL assisting the Roosters to sigh SBW. However, I believe that Peter V'landys is only motivated by the overall health of the game. I expect that he would assist whichever club had the opportunity to sign SBW. The media interest and promotional opportunities will be enormous and people will want to watch RL to see if SBW can still compete.

Dragon David

First Grade
Is V'landys wanting the Roosters to win three in a row? Is that it? Why does he openly say this. He might as well let the Roosters sign the best players to win four in a row.
V'landys is basically saying that no other club should negotiate with SBW as the Roosters are the only club he wants SBW to join. What a joke. The is no justice and to me it will always be a two team comp (Roosters and Storm) and as such who cares to watch lopsided scores week in week out? Again, what a joke and I'm adding what a farce?!!a

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/84a6d13b6f26293f15343882535b7332

Crush

Coach
The gap between the top 6 and the bottom 6 this year is absolutely pathetic.
There are far too many boring blow-outs atm.
3 teams this round were paying $8 or more for the win in a two horse race.
And the strong are only getting stronger while the weak get weaker. Corey HN breaks his contract with the team coming dead last to sign immediately with the team challenging for another grand final appearance. Dogs get even weaker, Raiders get even stronger.
Joke. F in joke....

Gareth67

First Grade
I can fully understand the emotion towards the NRL assisting the Roosters to sigh SBW. However, I believe that Peter V'landys is only motivated by the overall health of the game. I expect that he would assist whichever club had the opportunity to sign SBW. The media interest and promotional opportunities will be enormous and people will want to watch RL to see if SBW can still compete.

I see your point George Sancti , however in regards to the promotional opportunities that could be available if he decides to return to the game I don’t believe that they would be that great as say 5years ago .

The mans star has waned somewhat over the last few years mainly due to his mish-mash of various sports - rugby league - union and of course boxing .

Still I would had expected V’landys to have the man play for a club that could truly use his vast experience and talent , certainly not the reigning premiers .

Dragon David

First Grade
While this might be the case, we know that SBW will not want to play for any other club except the Roosters and I just don't like the thought of the "red carpet" being laid out for him to walk along to the pitch and get all of the glorification when he walked out of the NRL years ago. I'm definitely not going to be watching him play if in fact he does sign with the Roosters. Again, it is a joke!

George Sancti

Juniors
I see your point George Sancti , however in regards to the promotional opportunities that could be available if he decides to return to the game I don’t believe that they would be that great as say 5years ago .

The mans star has waned somewhat over the last few years mainly due to his mish-mash of various sports - rugby league - union and of course boxing .

Still I would had expected V’landys to have the man play for a club that could truly use his vast experience and talent , certainly not the reigning premiers .

Yes, I am sure he is not the same player that he was and it would have been great to see him sign with Warriors.

hewi

Bench
Where to start, let’s take Penrith. Makes a long term plan starting with juniors and it’s seems to be working. Someone mentioned the Dogs another club that has realised they have a problem and are now doing something to rectify it, I’m not sure having Barrett is a good move however. Now the Dragons, going on 8 years with a failure for head coach, a board that sticks by him , a retirement home for old players, a failed coach from the 1990s who has major influence on the place, a failure to blood youth. There is more I’m sure but to some it up, zero professionalism and ruthlessness. The chooks want to win. Rome Burns while Nero fiddles.

matPORTS

Juniors
In all seriousness... can someone from the club (surely someone is reading this forum) make comment and give us an honest assessment on the issues raised in this thread? Recruitment & Retention strategy has been a big problem at this club pretty well since the JV was formed (and that even includes the Bennett era to a point).

No doubt Barrett is a risky move for the Dogs. It's done nothing to ease the unrest among the Dogs faithful. They could have bought in another member of 'the family' but have gone outside the box (I heard from a Dogs supporter at work that Michael Hagan was in the mix for the job as well).

You can sort of see the method in the madness in that they are hoping Barrett can perhaps help them raid some of the junior stocks at Penrith and also influence some of the fringe first graders at Manly to come over, as they go about re-building their roster now that they have all their salary cap mess from the Greenburg / Castle / Hasler era cleaned up. But... it will be interesting to see what happens come year three once Trent "gets the team he wants" (words that seem to be a poison chalice from those who hail from down south).

On the Roosters/SBW situation, and the NRL supporting them around this - lets think about this for a second. Why should the NRL give the Dragons any help?

Do we really think the club are making concerted efforts to help the NRL grow the game? Our self-interested, nepotist board does absolutely nothing in the best interests of their own club and it's faithful, let alone the wider product of Rugby League.

They appear to deal with most issues in private behind closed doors and communicate updates publicly on a "you only need to know this much" basis only (otherwise known as spin)... like at the end of last year "oh we are just letting you all know that we are having a 'review' (actually this is something we do every year in case you didn't know), but the process and findings behind this 'review' remain strictly confidential".