What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malta have defeated Switzerland

taipan

Referee
How the hell do you score tries if there is no buildup :) its the penalty goals that turn me off,and due to the multitude rules in union,they unfortuantely are too prevalent.You hear from union players who comment they still dont know what many of the penalties are given for.

bayrep

Juniors
You hear from union players who comment they still dont know what many of the penalties are given for.

hmm not a generalisation comment is it taipan. I could counter that by saying that allot of players enjoy the intensity of the game the excitement that it brings. Understand the rules like the back of their hands.

its the penalty goals that turn me off,and due to the multitude rules in union,they unfortuantely are too prevalent

If you hate/dislike the code so much why even bother coming into this section ? I always find it amusing that league fans that cant stand union seem to know more about it than union fans. Yet they b!tch and moan continually about it.

And before you say you are just giving your opinion you are trolling, I have never seen you post an interest in union or contribute a constructive comment. Just like you hate it when a union fan goes into a league thread spouting crap it goes down like sick here as well.

In the end if your so anti go to some union games with a few handouts denouncing the evil empire maybe it will go down better there and you will drag a few converts over to the good force.

taipan

Referee
bayrep said:
You hear from union players who comment they still dont know what many of the penalties are given for.

hmm not a generalisation comment is it taipan. I could counter that by saying that allot of players enjoy the intensity of the game the excitement that it brings. Understand the rules like the back of their hands.

its the penalty goals that turn me off,and due to the multitude rules in union,they unfortuantely are too prevalent

If you hate/dislike the code so much why even bother coming into this section ? I always find it amusing that league fans that cant stand union seem to know more about it than union fans. Yet they b!tch and moan continually about it.

And before you say you are just giving your opinion you are trolling, I have never seen you post an interest in union or contribute a constructive comment. Just like you hate it when a union fan goes into a league thread spouting crap it goes down like sick here as well.

In the end if your so anti go to some union games with a few handouts denouncing the evil empire maybe it will go down better there and you will drag a few converts over to the good force.

Check the earlier posts old mate.Having a shot at league on the union thread PW 'sick of league players being picked from sydney suburbs as an example' , its a case of return of serve, must have hit a raw nerve.I watch union tests involving All Blacks and Wallabies.I dont pretend to know a lot about union despite the fact I played it for 5 years at school,despite having attended club union games and tests in the past ,I will respond to criticism of league on a union thread,if thats trolling I plead guilty.I will end by saying the former Wallaby and journalist Fitzsimons continually admits that despite the years in the game,he had difficulty in understanding the reason for some penalties.
Ill tell you what i do hate and its not the game,its the attitude of officials towards league,and nothing has changed over the years.
Anyway as you keep reminding me this is a union thread so tah for now.

bayrep

Juniors
That was actually a pretty reasonable reply, I was expecting an ego puffing (EA type) exchange :lol: . Like you I get tired of the fan or media that generalises and spouts crap on either code (our slight difference). In the end they are just games played for fun and even though I love chatting about the game(s) I get tired of the bullshyt that some fans spout.

And yes you did hit a nerve, but in my defence I was in a foul mode yesterday :)

taipan

Referee
rugged said:
Play Rugby and see the world has never been a truer slogan.

Isn't the other half of the slogan
"Play rugby league and see Wigan"?

That went out the window when the Roos played in USA/France/Leeds/Wigan/Manchester/Auckland.The Wigan comment is the inbred work of a few journos/officials and indoctrinated fans,as their so called comedy routine is fast running out of material.. ;-)

Thomas

First Grade
Yes but Luke Rooney said he'd rather be in Penrith than in Europe as there was nothing to do.

I guess there aren't any league clubs where he could sit and play the pokies in. :lol:

Moffo

Referee
Thomas said:
Yes but Luke Rooney said he'd rather be in Penrith than in Europe as there was nothing to do.

I guess there aren't any league clubs where he could sit and play the pokies in. :lol:

You been to Europe Thomas? I could see why he'd say that about some places over there....

Thomas

First Grade
Yes mate, I have been to Europe. I had a ball. Am thinking of working there as I can get a EU passport.

Comparing Prague with Penrith....I know where I'd rather be. Maybe Luke prefers the all you can eat buffet and pokie machines to absorbing a bit of old world culture.

taipan

Referee
Thomas said:

Well at least he got to see Prague whilst on a rl tour,so much for the Wigan comment.The roos also got to see Las Vegas whilst on the same tour.Quite frankly there are some cities and towns in Europe I would rather be in Penrith eating and drinking,at least you get fruit and vegetables and steak at a reasonable price,and the you can enjoy a beer at a reasonable price instead of paying through the nose.Eg Venice
Then again Europe has the history ,tradition and scenery,so I guess we all get homesick for oz tucker.

Thomas

First Grade
I must say I was killing for a meat pie when I was over there. The only pies I could find had stuff in them like jellied eels. urrgh.

Apparently Prague is cheap as chips. Beers cost bugger all and shots of vodka are practically given away.

taipan said:
How the hell do you score tries if there is no buildup :) its the penalty goals that turn me off,and due to the multitude rules in union,they unfortuantely are too prevalent.You hear from union players who comment they still dont know what many of the penalties are given for.

If penalty goals and watching more than three countries play international turns you off then dont watch it .
But dont try and tell us Kiwi's who have had league over 100 years yet we still find league as boring as it was 100 years ago .
The same goes for the Pacific nations and all those rugby fans in the UK and France .

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:

If penalty goals and watching more than three countries play international turns you off then dont watch it .
But dont try and tell us Kiwi's who have had league over 100 years yet we still find league as boring as it was 100 years ago .
The same goes for the Pacific nations and all those rugby fans in the UK and France .

You just had to spoil it PW-typical response from you .I dont like penalty goals in rugby league(and i have seen some ordinary NRL club games) either or penalties in soccer. If I happen to find it a turnoff so be it,ask any supporter of any code he wants to see tries or in the case of soccer goals not penalties scored.
Glad to hear you were still around in NZ 100 years ago,I sure as hell wasnt.If that was the case the Warriors would have no one watching in Nz when they played in the G/F a couple of years back. and if it so boring as you say why do you watch it ,and talk about it on these forums.
as I said I watch All Blacks and wallaby tests,the Blacks play the way I like any form of rugby should be .Sorry for me its stage :arrow:

rugged

Juniors
The Wigan comment is the inbred work of a few journos/officials and indoctrinated fans,as their so called comedy routine is fast running out of material..

Yeah well the yawn yawn sayers are pretty much out of material too.

taipan

Referee
rugged said:
The Wigan comment is the inbred work of a few journos/officials and indoctrinated fans,as their so called comedy routine is fast running out of material..

Yeah well the yawn yawn sayers are pretty much out of material too.

Wouldnt know never used the term myself.The term 5 tackles and a kick is still used by union officials and particularly some journos,so apart from the Wigan one they do have an alternative line. :)

Heritage XIII

Juniors
If the Lebanese & Malta league teams are full of Aussies then the union Malta team is full of Brits.

Friend of mine at Ipswich Rhinos RLFC (UK) even plays with one!

Steve Haycock
DOB: 15/10/71
POSITION: Second Row, Loose Forward
PREVIOUS CLUBS: (Union) De Montfort University (Bedford), Mersea Island RFC, Camborne RFC, (League) De Montfort University (Bedford)
HONOURS: (Union) Malta
BIOGRAPHY: Let's face it, Maltese Rugby Union international Steve Haycock is as old as the hills. In fact in his job as a PE teacher, Steve has even taught a number of the other Rhinos and as he would see it he continues to teach them on the rugby pitch every week. Steve makes a massive contribution to the team every time he plays with his surging runs and fantastic defence. Steve first played league at university where he received a call up to the southern universities squad for the final England Students trial. There is a suggestion that he may have made the squad had he not gone out and got pissed the night before the trial. You'd have thought this action would have helped his selection for a students team but apparently the England coach didn't see it that way. Steve's playing contribution and the fact that he always plays with a smile on his face has been a great asset for the club for a number of years.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ipswich.rhinos/

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Some of the most ultimate 'Rugby' tours actually have been undertaken by the amateurs of BARLA who have had the pleasure to visit & play in Russia, Tartastan, Morocco, France, Italy, Lebanon, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands, and USA.

Not bad for some amateur leagiues!

Mmm, Coogee Dolphins to USA, Oxford to Lebanon, Tartastan & Holland.

http://www.oxfordstudent.com/2004-01-15/sport/4

Cambridge to France, Australia Police to Morocco & Cook Islands, NSW Universities to New Caledonia, Menia Juniors (Cronulla Juniors) to Ireland & UK, Australian Universities to Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England & France. Serbia to Holland. and so, are just some of the many tours league players can enjoy on every level these days.

Heritage XIII said:
Some of the most ultimate 'Rugby' tours actually have been undertaken by the amateurs of BARLA who have had the pleasure to visit & play in Russia, Tartastan, Morocco, France, Italy, Lebanon, PNG, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands, and USA.

Cambridge to France, Australia Police to Morocco & Cook Islands, NSW Universities to New Caledonia, Menia Juniors (Cronulla Juniors) to Ireland & UK, Australian Universities to Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England & France. Serbia to Holland. and so, are just some of the many tours league players can enjoy on every level these days.

Not bad for some amateurs just wish your top three countries can tour that many countries .

Heritage XIII said:
If the Lebanese & Malta league teams are full of Aussies then the union Malta team is full of Brits.

Friend of mine at Ipswich Rhinos RLFC (UK) even plays with one!

Steve Haycock
DOB: 15/10/71
POSITION: Second Row, Loose Forward
PREVIOUS CLUBS: (Union) De Montfort University (Bedford), Mersea Island RFC, Camborne RFC, (League) De Montfort University (Bedford)
HONOURS: (Union) Malta
BIOGRAPHY: Let's face it, Maltese Rugby Union international Steve Haycock is as old as the hills. In fact in his job as a PE teacher, Steve has even taught a number of the other Rhinos and as he would see it he continues to teach them on the rugby pitch every week. Steve makes a massive contribution to the team every time he plays with his surging runs and fantastic defence. Steve first played league at university where he received a call up to the southern universities squad for the final England Students trial. There is a suggestion that he may have made the squad had he not gone out and got pissed the night before the trial. You'd have thought this action would have helped his selection for a students team but apparently the England coach didn't see it that way. Steve's playing contribution and the fact that he always plays with a smile on his face has been a great asset for the club for a number of years.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ipswich.rhinos/

So when is Malta Sydney going to host a game in Malta or tour other playing countries in Europe ?

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
Heritage XIII said:

Not bad for some amateurs just wish your top three countries can tour that many countries .
Their working on it ATM.France,England,NZ and the USA for starters.Not many less than the Wallabies currently France England NZ Sth Africa,Argentina and ok Ireland Scotland and Wales.On the very odd occasion Canada and Japan.With the increased commitments in the southern hemisphere you can cross Canada and Japan off the list.
It wasnt that long ago that amateur rugby league players could only dream of playing in countries that have now taken up the game ,now they get the opportunity to travel.Great news for those players who will never make it to the NRL and also up and coming juniors.