What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mandatory sin bin for incidents on report?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Probably feels tacked on to other threads but I think that any time a player is put on report they should automatically get at least 5 minutes in the sin bin.

If the incident is worse the ref can still make it 10 minutes or a send off but as soon as someone is on report they get 5 in the bin. I will add that I think that if the opposition scores the player can return.

Just seems fairer that the team that gets subjected to foul play gets a greater compensation.

If an incident is placed on report the offending team loses an interchange and the other team receive a free interchange to be used at any time during the match.

If the offending team is out of interchnges, then the player is sin binned for 5 minutes and the other team still receive a free interchange to be used at any time during the match.

Last edited:

RWB

Bench
Any incident that's picked up by the video ref and passed onto the refs must be put on report.

That's anywhere from 3 to 5 sin binnings a game.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Stupid idea. The reason a lot more players get put on report is that referee's cannot award a penalty for an incident that took place in a prior play unless the offender is placed on report. The result is a lot of soft incidents get put on report so the refs cover their arses for missing incidents that took place earlier, even if they are not serious as otherwise they would be unable to award a penalty.

user_nat

Coach
They would have to get rid of the video ref putting people on report rule first. Actually they should remove that rule anyhow.

Bumble

First Grade
This idea is a good one IF players stop getting automatically put on report for video referred penalties.

Canard

Immortal
So people would be happy for players to be binned, even if subsequent review showed they didn't do anything wrong?

RWB

Bench
They would have to get rid of the video ref putting people on report rule first. Actually they should remove that rule anyhow.

Nah the rule should be more stringently enforced. Sick of seeing players lie down waiting for the ref to rule on nothing incidents.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Great idea, I've always felt the refs should have more opportunity to dictate the games outcome.

lockyno1

Post Whore
This is why the 5 minute bin should be brought back. 5 minute bin for anything on report, 10 minutes for the normal one.

So people would be happy for players to be binned, even if subsequent review showed they didn't do anything wrong?

And this is why I'm one of the few in favour of the on-field report system. I have no faith in the referees making the correct decision on field, and a return to liberal use of the sin bin would only result in more incorrect decisions and more teams being unfairly punished as a result of refereeing incompetence.

lazza

Juniors
All the judiciary really does is determine how many weeks or assign point loadings. Wish I knew the not guilty percentages, but I rekon it would be less than 10%.

Card Shark

Immortal
All the judiciary really does is determine how many weeks or assign point loadings. Wish I knew the not guilty percentages, but I rekon it would be less than 10%.

The amount of players getting put on report & charged by the match review committee compared to reported & not charged would be 50/50 I reckon.

A lot of players are put on report for SFA. However, some advantage needs to go to the team if they lose a player due to foul play, ala Brisbane V Cowboys 2 weeks ago. Sims definitely needed 10 (or 5) in the bin for that.

Canard

Immortal
And this is why I'm one of the few in favour of the on-field report system. I have no faith in the referees making the correct decision on field, and a return to liberal use of the sin bin would only result in more incorrect decisions and more teams being unfairly punished as a result of refereeing incompetence.

I'd go even further than that, it would mean referees would stop using the report system for fear that it would result to much controversy.

A lot of players are put on report for SFA. However, some advantage needs to go to the team if they lose a player due to foul play, ala Brisbane V Cowboys 2 weeks ago. Sims definitely needed 10 (or 5) in the bin for that.

Once again though you are relying on the referee to make a judgement call as to what constitutes foul play. In the instance you mention, I think it was fairly clear, but its not always the case. In short, you are still going to have a lot of controversial incidents.

Last edited:
Putting players on report in the sin bin? Daft idea. How many times have we seen a player, be it from our own team or another put on report for something which we've thought "why the heck was he put on report, there is nothing in that?"

Or how many times have we had a lifting tackle placed on report - not one player but "the entire incident" - you'd wind up with 2-3 players in the bin in one go there with this idea whether they actually contributed to the lift or not. :crazy:

firechild

First Grade
Or how many times have we had a lifting tackle placed on report - not one player but "the entire incident" - you'd wind up with 2-3 players in the bin in one go there with this idea whether they actually contributed to the lift or not. :crazy:

Or 15 players running in for some push and shove, possibly punches thrown. Refs say "the whole thing's on report". Who goes to the bin or do the whole lot go?