What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mander out! - Black in! GB & NZ overturn Australia

The Clan

Juniors
A furious refereeing row is threatening to overshadow the build-up to Saturday's Gillette Tri-Nations clash between Great Britain and Australia.

Britain drew first blood in the Ashes battle when they won the right to appoint New Zealander Glen Black for the first of two Anglo-Australian battles.

The appointment is in line with International Federation policy to use neutral referees wherever possible but the Australians objected strongly to the choice of Black, who operates in New Zealand's domestic league.

The Kangaroos suggested a compromise solution of using Australia's Tim Mander and Britain's Russell Smith in the two Anglo-Aussie encounters.

The matter was finally resolved this morning after three days of talks between representatives of the three nations when Australia were out-voted two to one but the row looks set to rumble on.

"He's a Bartercard Cup referee, which is the equivalent to park football in Australia," said Australia Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr. "He won't be able to control the 10 metres or the ruck.

"We agree with neutral referees in principle when the referees are up to standard but Glen Black, as you saw last night, is not up to this game."

Black was brought over to officiate in Super League this summer and refereed Wednesday night's tour match between Cumbria and a combined Australia-New Zealand side.

Mander will now referee Great Britain's two matches against New Zealand while Black is expected to take charge of the second Anglo-Aussie clash at Wigan on November 13, although that could yet change.

"As far as were concerned, if he struggles as much as we anticipate, the committee is going to have to review it," warned Carr.

The full match officials team for the game is as follows:

Referee: Glen Black (NZ)

Touch Judges: Paul Johnson and Tony Martin

Reserve referee: Karl Kirkpatrick

Interchange Official: Stuart Marshall

Video Referee: Dave Campbell

Match Commissioner: Geoff Berry

Nook

Bench
Good stuff. Bout time someone stood up to us and our whinging.

Blacks ten metres could be veeeery interesting. Lets hope so. Ultra-short 10's, Morley and Fielden angry, 40,000 screaming poms...can't wait.

strong_latte

Juniors
It's about bloody time, I'm sick of all this shit, it just makes the whole thing look unprofessional! No bloody wonder international union fans always are having shots at us with this kind of rubbish always going on!

Captain Chaos

Juniors
It would have been nice if he negotiations could have been completed long ago with respect to Black.
It's time we got some NZ refs reffing in the NRL, then perhaps the Aussies would have a bit more confidence in them.

He's reffed a few SL games has Black. Not many though.

Jeffles

Bench
Good choice.

He's reffed RSL. I don't know how he did.

He ned to be involved in NRL matches. Who cares if he's not in Sydney. Give him the odd match. The NRL and RSL have a duty to build up good standard refs.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Has anybody seen him ref?

No but if he can't be a regualr ref in the SuperLeagu you have to wonder not how good he is but how BAD he is! The question will be is he the worst one! I doubt that becuase in Austrlia we have Shanye Hayne and Tony Archer- the 2 worst! :roll:

kier

Juniors
He COULD be a regular ref in RSL - but, he lives in NZ.......tough commute don't you think? He went the England for development - not to try and get a permenant position.

bartman

Immortal
Good decision. I don't know why it became an issue/was changed in the first place. Now it's decided it won't overshadow the game. Bring it on!!

JJ

Immortal
I'm sorry - but I disagree.

I'm all for "neutral" refs - but first, isn't any referee supposed to be neutral??

Refs are professional, and should be treated as such.

While it's nice to have a ref that isn't from one of the countries involved (interesting comparison with club and SOO footy though), if there isn't one that is of the required standard, then the best available ref should be appointed.

I know very little about our own Mr Black, but he's refereed Bartercard cup and the odd super league game. Seriously, Bartercard Cup??? I've watched some of that, and there is a huge gulf between that and NRL, let alone internationals.

It's like someone umpiring a provincial cricket match in Bangladesh (if they have any) and then being given the Boxing Day test in Melbourne...

Sorry, it's a joke. And Mander should be pissed, as the Kiwis (I am one) and the Poms are clearly inferring that he can't do his job (i.e., ref a game of football impartially).

Does anyone seriously believe that he's not the best ref available??

bayrep

Juniors
Its not that people are saying that Mander cant do his job its those 50-50 calls that come into question especially if Aus get the run of play Mander will always be looked in a funny light if that happens.

Congrats has to go to the officials for having the balls to select Black and stand up to Aus. This can only advance international League. :clap:

JJ

Immortal
bayrep said:
Its not that people are saying that Mander cant do his job its those 50-50 calls that come into question especially if Aus get the run of play Mander will always be looked in a funny light if that happens.

Congrats has to go to the officials for having the balls to select Black and stand up to Aus. This can only advance international League. :clap:

yeah, but the guy isn't up to it yet - plain and simple - you can't demand a Kiwi ref when there are NONE that are at the right standard.

lockyno1

Post Whore
yeah, but the guy isn't up to it yet - plain and simple - you can't demand a Kiwi ref when there are NONE that are at the right standard.

Exactly, you Pommies that wanted this week may be wishing you had not after the game! :roll:

bayrep

Juniors
But whose fault is it that a Kiwi ref has been givent he chance. He has reffed a few ESL games and by the looks a couple of Internationals against Wals and Russia. The guy deserves ago. IRL will either benefit from this or learn from it and make sure we dont get in this situation again.

Latest posts