What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly want to be hated again

MEE

Juniors
MANLY are aiming to embark on a massive spending spree next season which they hope will end in only one outcome - becoming the most hated team in the league again.

It's no secret Manly have struggled to compete in the player market after being ravaged by financial problems since the Super League war.

In fact, The Sunday Telegraph has learned the Sea Eagles are spending close to $500,000 below their salary cap this season - previously unheard of for one of the game's traditional powerhouse clubs.

But Manly's executive director Paul Cummings has exclusively revealed the club's bright financial outlook will enable them to hit the market like the "silvertails" of old next year.

"It would be a compliment if people started to call us silvertails again ... if people started to get the hatred back towards us," Cummings said.

"That would mean we are back to our winning ways, we are able to recruit the players we want and the club is strong financially again."

Cummings said the Manly club aimed to be in the market for at least two "blue chip" players next year.

"In very rough figures, we are spending at least two blue chip players below our salary cap," Cummings said.

"Next year, we are planning on spending to the cap and if the cap is increased in the future, we will be able to spend to that as well.

"You are entitled to allowances to spend above the cap for 10-year players ... whatever the salary cap is in the future, and whatever the NRL allows, we will be able to spend."

The club's vastly improved financial situation is expected to be ratified when the board meets to vote on privatising the club on June 3.

Major sponsor Max Delmege's privatisation proposal has been recommended by the board, who must vote with a 75 per cent approval rate for it to be formally accepted.

"The privatisation ensures the financial future of the club and allows us to spend comfortably up to the levels we are allowed by the NRL," Cummings said.

"Without the privatisation, it would make it extremely difficult for us to compete."

Manly coach Des Hasler said the club's desire to increase spending on players, and ability to do so, was a great step forward for his rebuilding.

"From a building point of view, it's going to allow us to be in the market for a few elite players," Hasler said.

"Obviously, two or three players would make a big difference to the place if we can get a few forwards and a back and spread the talent across the field.

"At the moment, we've got our own pressures, though, because we also want to re-sign Sam Harris and Anthony Watmough.

"I would say we wouldn't be in the market for any more than three elite players and they would make a huge difference."

Cummings and Hasler refused to divulge what players the club had targeted.

"We could be looking at two forwards, or one forward and two backs. There are a lot of areas," Cummings said. "Whatever Des wants, we will be in a position to attempt to get. Des has been doing a terrific job and we will do everything to continue helping him."

The Sunday Telegraph

http://foxsports.news.com.au/

Raider_69

Post Whore
then your no hope of being hated again :p
Besides Mick Monnas will return once his contract runs out

Red Bear

Referee
Ahh, it'll be goo to be able to hate Manly again, hard to hate them when they lose alot(although sounds like you played well against the woeful warriors, well done :clap: )

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Raider_69 I would be more worried about Joel if I were you. Strong rumors that he will be coming to join his brother next year. ;-)

eelsta

Bench
lodown said:
i thought we were already pretty much the most hated team, besides the roosters
i dont hate you actually i hate my own team at the moment
cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Boyd, Brown, Dorahy.... Never forgive, never forget.

Nah, just kidding, I don't hate Manly, I feel sorry for Manly.

;-)

As long as we don't evoke a Pity Like Bears fans do, I'll take that sympathy!

Latest posts