What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly's off contract players - who to retain?

mick13

Juniors
I was just doing some research and Manly will certainly have trouble retaining some if its current stars and up and comers.

2009 off contract players: Matt Orford, Heath L'estrange, David Williams, Michael Robertson, Glenn Hall, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. I think that's it for '09?

2010 off contract players: Josh Perry, Jason King, Glenn Stewart, Anthony Watmough, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, Kieran Foran. I think that's it for '10?

Where to start, obviously Des would like to retain them all, but realistically has NO chance. Manly could be re-building in 2011 by the look of this? Thoughts?

Dutchy

Immortal
Worry about 2010 when it arrives.

Orford, Robertson, Hall, JWH. - Williams will command too much money, Stranger is no longer needed. Bennett in u/20s looks the goods.

Daddycool

Juniors
I've been thinking about this for a while. Manly have to make some tough decisions in the next few years.

Of all the players mentioned in the original post, the only three I think they need to release are Matt Orford, Glen Hall and Michael Robertson.

1. Matt Orford.......He has done exactly what they signed him to do, win a Premiership. He didn't do it on his own, but I doubt they could have done it without him.
Having said that, I do think the injuries he's had, have slowed him down to the point where he isn't good enough value at $400,000+ for another couple of years.
He'll still have the odd game ( like the GF last year), where he'll look like a million bucks. However, as time goes on he'll have more rocks than diamonds.
I think the purchase of Hodkinson from Parramatta and the fact they have Foran and Cherry-Evans, indicates they have the backup already in place.

2. Glen Hall.......He is a strong player with a big heart who, in my opinion over achieved last season. However, I don't think he has enough variety in his game to keep Cuthbertson out of the starting side ( Des does, of course).

3. Michael Robertson.......He is a fine winger and one of the best finishers in the competition. He's had a great couple of years, both form and injury wise and is probably at the top of his game right now. However, I think we may have seen the best of him. Unfortunately for him, he is covering at fullback at the present time. This is the problem, he can't play fullback. His only real position is on the wing.
David Williams on the other hand, can also play wing (well enough to be picked for Australia, over Robertson). He's also, bigger and stronger, and looks to have the right style of game to play fullback if needed. He's also a lot younger.
It gets down to this, if Williams wasn't already at the club, I'd be inclined to resign Robertson. Out of the two though, Williams has the greater potential and thus is the better prospect to retain.

Heath L' Estrange......Keep him as he is a fine utility player and important cover for Balin if he was to get injured.
Josh Perry and Jason king.....Big blokes, every club needs. Both could do with turning the controlled aggression up a couple of notches, though.
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves........From what little I've seen of him, he looks to be their number 1 prop for the future. He needs game time and hopefully as the season progresses, he will show what he's got.
Glen Stewart, Anthony Watmough and Adam Cuthbertson...... are the clubs long term future and deserve priority when it comes to deciding which players to retain.
Jamie Lyon.......has apparantly made comments to the effect, he would like to go back to England after his contract ends in 2010. That's a shame, because along with Brett Stewart, he is arguably their best player.
Steve Matai.......in terms of his longevity, his recent injuries are a worry. Although like a good bottle of wine, he seems to be getting better with age. His ability to cut through the defensive line with a side step off both feet, was a pleasing addition to his overal game last year.

On the whole, Manly still have the majority of the team who won the Premiership last year. However, decisions have to be made very soon, in order to determine the make up of the team for the next 3-5 years. As far as I'm concerned, it starts with letting Orford, Hall and Robertson go.

Last edited:

Daddycool

Juniors
Three weeks on and the landscape at Manly hasn't changed. The introduction of a second referee as well as a new attitude towards protecting kickers amoungst other things, has changed the way the game is played. Unless Manly can adapt they will continue to struggle.

The Toyota cup side is going very well at the moment, developing some terrific combinations along the way. This is where they need to look. Foran and Cherry-Evans should be priority signings.

In theory, if a team is good enough to win a premiership, then they should be able to continue that form into the following season. Obviously this isn't happening.

So....the retention commitee needs to make some big decisions. They can either play it safe and keep some ageing, yet tried and true players. Or look to the future and rejuvenate the team for the years to come.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I have grave concerns about Orford's ability come 2012. He doesn't not have the physique and athleticism to maintain his agility until that age. A 2 year contract maybe, not 3.

Latest posts