What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann Vs Aitken, who deserves the starting centre role?

Who deserves the starting centre role?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gitano

Juniors
lol

I would still pick Mann ahead of Aitken. lol Aitken still has the same deficiencies that he had at the start of the year. He still doesn't pass the ball to his winger and he still makes poor decisions in defence.

Yeah nah.

The 8th immortal says he's made for origin. I agree. Keep pounding that horse though!

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2017: Kurt shaping as rep season handyman
Dragons Den News
r0_0_2952_2847_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

KEY COG: Dragons utility is shaping as coach Paul McGregor's one-size-fits-all solution in what's likely to be a tough rep period. Picture: NRL imagery

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has plenty of tools at his disposal this season but, as a demanding representative period approaches, utility Kurt Mann is shaping as his Allen key.

Plenty has been made of the looming rep season and it’s potential to derail the Dragons campaign, with a host of stars in line for Test and Origin call-ups.

The club’s rep aspirants include include the entire forward pack, halves Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop and centre Euan Aitken, making Mann a key cog in his side’s premiership charge.

Coach Paul McGregor will use the 25-year-old as cover for any position in the back-line while his newfound ability to play in the middle makes him the likely shadow for Cam McInnes.

Hell, he’d even put his hand up to play in the front-row having ticked that box on his utility list against Gold Coast in round three.

Having played wildly differing minutes across multiple positions in his previous two seasons with the club, Mann said he's relishing the chance to make a regular contribution in the middle of the park.

“At points it gets pretty frustrating when you’re not playing long minutes or your constantly changing positions and that sort of thing,” Mann said.

“Middle is something I’ve added this year that I’m able to do week in week out and that’s something I’m really enjoying.

“It’s something that’s been pretty steady and consistent for me now. I get to get on in that period before halftime and [McGregor] gives me free reign to do what I want.

“I can still play a ball-playing role when I’m playing lock and I don’t mind the contact.

“I like it, it’s a bit of a change for me and I’ve played every position on the field now.”

While he's embraced the shift, Mann said he hasn't forgotten how to play in the halves or our out wide if called upon to do so.

“I’m pretty much playing like an extra half in the middle when I get out there at the moment,” Mann said.

“I play a bit different to how Bomber [Jack de Belin] plays. He’s our big enforcer and I get out there and play as a ball-player in the middle so I’ve still got that under raps.

“The centres [ability] is not something I’m going to lose the amount of times I’ve played there.”

It's yet to become a major talking point, but Mann said McGregor has touched on the contribution the club's second unit will have to make, on the playing and training paddock, when the big guns are away.

“Last year we started in a similar sort of fashion and then the Origin period disrupted us a little bit,” Mann said.

“Our focus got shifted there and we went downhill after that but I think this year everyone’s a lot more level-headed, us as players and the coaching staff.

“Mary’s spoken to me briefly about how I’m going to have to step up because I’ll probably be playing bigger minutes there along with Leeson [Ah Mau] and few of the other boys who are still going to be here.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5395108/mann-shaping-as-rep-season-trump-card/?cs=3713

Dragons 09

Juniors
Good read ^^^ such a humble kid. I know i am at one end of the Mann support spectrum (side by side with Como) and there are many with opposing views, but i can only wonder where this kid would be today if he was given the time to develop with a regular starting gig in a fixed position over the last couple of years.

We have seen the way Aitkin, Lafai, Mcdonald et al have all come along with regular game time in a fixed position under a consistent structure and i have no doubt this kid could be better than all of them if he was with a team that required a full time outside back rather than a Mr Fixit from the bench. He may never get to realise his true potential due to his own versatility and that is such a shame.

possm

Coach
lol

I would still pick Mann ahead of Aitken. lol Aitken still has the same deficiencies that he had at the start of the year. He still doesn't pass the ball to his winger and he still makes poor decisions in defence.
And these are the reasons he will not be selected for SOO. I believe Aitkens future is as a utility on the bench and so I would rather see our right side backs completely changed to initially be the following:
3. Mann
5. Lomax

Down the track to be:
3. Lomax
5. Mann

17. Aitken - utility on the bench.

Crush

Coach
lol

Cmon mate! You are the one trying to tell everyone TOLDYA yet when Gitano rightly shows you how wrong you were about Aitken you don't take your medicine.
Gitano said "Euie is a genuine origin chance this year"
And guess what? He's a genuine origin chance!!!
Suck it up. Be a man and say YOU WERE RIGHT I WAS WRONG!

Frank Facer

First Grade
And these are the reasons he will not be selected for SOO. I believe Aitkens future is as a utility on the bench and so I would rather see our right side backs completely changed to initially be the following:
3. Mann
5. Lomax

Down the track to be:
3. Lomax
5. Mann

17. Aitken - utility on the bench.
I agree 100%

Frank Facer

First Grade
Cmon mate! You are the one trying to tell everyone TOLDYA yet when Gitano rightly shows you how wrong you were about Aitken you don't take your medicine.
I am not wrong about Aitken deficiencies. He hasn't been picked for origin yet either. Aitken still makes poor defensive reads and still can't pass the ball, but many now want to ignore this.

possm

Coach
I am not wrong about Aitken deficiencies. He hasn't been picked for origin yet either. Aitken still makes poor defensive reads and still can't pass the ball, but many now want to ignore this.

I have the same view on Aitken. He has shown to be a very strong runner of the ball and good at barging over for a try. To me has all the skills of a middle forward. Or maybe a good utility off the bench.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Is he a genuine origin chance this year?
The media is saying he is. If you were selecting the team, would you pick him?

Who would you rather we had playing centre us, Tom Turbo or Aitken?

What do you have to say about the deficiencies that I mentioned in my last post?

I still only recall him passing the ball to Nightingale 3 times this season, including trials? One was a nothing flick pass, when Nightingale caught the ball and was tackled immediately. Another was at Nightingale's shins and the other was a floating pass that took to long to get to Nightingale. If it was a better pass and Nightingale was faster, then we would have scored too. Do you think a centre should be able to set up his winger well too?

Frank Facer

First Grade
The vote on this poll of who our supporters would prefer at centre out of Aitken or Mann is now 98 to 16, in favor of Mann. lol

Crush

Coach
The media is saying he is. If you were selecting the team, would you pick him?

Who would you rather we had playing centre us, Tom Turbo or Aitken?

What do you have to say about the deficiencies that I mentioned in my last post?

I still only recall him passing the ball to Nightingale 3 times this season, including trials? One was a nothing flick pass, when Nightingale caught the ball and was tackled immediately. Another was at Nightingale's shins and the other was a floating pass that took to long to get to Nightingale. If it was a better pass and Nightingale was faster, then we would have scored too. Do you think a centre should be able to set up his winger well too?
I'm not questioning whether you or I believe that he is a worthy recipient of a blues jersey just that he is a genuine chance as Gitano said he was.
I personally would go with Mitchell and Roberts.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'm not questioning whether you or I believe that he is a worthy recipient of a blues jersey just that he is a genuine chance as Gitano said he was.
I personally would go with Mitchell and Roberts.
lol

It all depends on who is picking the team, as to if he is a genuine chance or not. Does Freddy choose to ignore Aitken's deficiencies or not? Gitano would pick him, but I wouldn't. lol

Who would you rather have in the centres for us or NSW, Aitken or Tom Turbo?

BTW, you forgot to tell me what you have to say about Aitken's deficiencies? lol

Crush

Coach
lol

It all depends on who is picking the team, as to if he is a genuine chance or not. Does Freddy choose to ignore Aitken's deficiencies or not? Gitano would pick him, but I wouldn't. lol

Who would you rather have in the centres for us or NSW, Aitken or Tom Turbo?

BTW, you forgot to tell me what you have to say about Aitken's deficiencies? lol
He's a strong ball runner with pace. He is running over the top of players and dragging guys over the tryline. Is he perfect? No he isn't. Does he have weaknesses? Sure he does. But at the moment he is helping win games for Dragons and the fact that the SOO coach is considering him for origin just goes to show how well he is going.
Its an outstanding turnaround of form.
BTW if I said I would prefer Turbo or Jimmy or Latrell at centre over Aitken for SOO it wouldn't change the fact that Aitken is also in the conversation and up there with those other great players.

Frank Facer

First Grade
NSW has made many selection blunders in the past too.

Am I wrong about his deficiencies? Has Aitken rectified his deficiencies this year? I don't believe that I am wrong about Aitken.

I said at the beginning of the season that Aitken is a one trick pony. He scores his tries from close range. Has he ever scored a try from further than 20 metres out?

Has he ever set a try for his winger? lol

mickeylane

Bench
Aitken is one performance away from starting SOO I - to say that MANN should be preferred over him is ludicrous to say the least.. MANN isn't an arseholes centre, he actually doesnt know what he is now he's played so many positions.. IMO should be a winger and replacing the slowest winger in the world today -NIGHTINGALE!